Rear Doors Ambient Lighting Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COtto1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I recently purchased AlfaOBD and BCM is reporting fault number B17A5 which indicates some kind of "Halo Lighting Ground Short" or something along those lines. I had not noticed it before the fault, but I checked and the accent LED lighting (door handles and map pockets) on the the rear doors are not working. Googling the fault number returns the following:

Make: Jeep
Code: B17A5-11
Definition: Halo Lamps Control-Circuit Short To Ground
Cause:
  • (M5) Ambient Lamp Driver Circuit Shorted To Ground
  • Left Or Right Map Pocket Lamp
  • Left Or Right Door Handle Lamp
  • Cupholder Lamp
  • Body Control Module (BCM)
Failure Type: Circuit Short To Ground
This sub type is used for failures, where the control module measures ground (battery negative) potential for greater than a specified time period or when some other value is expected.​

I have 2015 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab. I pulled the door panels and connect each LED bulb to a 9V battery and they all lit up so it is definitely an electrical issue. Is there a wiring diagram for this section I can reference? Are there any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Could the BCM itself be the problem or is it likely an actual wiring issue?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956