Rear end accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys, need some answers to my problem. I got into a accident with my ram 1500 4x4 5.7. The guy hit me on the right rear tire , causing my hub cap to disintegration and bent my axle. So far have not gone through insurance. Tire and rim checks out fine. Replaced the right rear axle due to being bent. Did a 4 point wheel alignment also. But the right rear tire sticks in further then the driver side. The driver side sticks out 1 3/4 more then the passenger rear. Now im bringing it in for measuring on the frame but what else could be the problem? Spring saddle is fine. Mabey the differential? Would appreciate the help boys

20200428_080158.jpg

20200428_080153.jpg

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7L HEMI VVT V8 w/FuelSaver MDS
check the mounts for the bar, they could be tweaked slightly, guys doing the alignment should have noticed something as the alignment machine would have notice a distance difference when measuring, at least the one I use to work on would have.
Did you get a print out from the alignment? can't recall the measurement it would throw though.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No print out. They said the right rear tire was .3 of degree off but still pass specs for Chrysler/dodge. Getting measurements done tomorrow for the frame.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you sure your box hasn't just shifted or it was off to begin with? body/box alignment on my truck is off by about an inch and no accident since new.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont think my box shifted. When i got hit there was no damage to the box only to the rim which checks out. My right rear axle was bent which was replaced. 4 point wheel align at the Chrysler dealer says it passes under specs with it being .3 degree off which i do not under stand how it passed. My driver rear sticks out an inch more then the passenger. Mabey my differential has shifted , now it being an independent suspension how would i shift the diff over?

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think there is some confusion going on here first off the rear suspension is not independent it is still a solid axle unlike the front which is independent. You say they replaced the axle what exactly did they replace? It was either the entire rearend or the solid axle which connects to the differential inside of the rearend housing due to the lug flange being bent. This to me would have some other issues besides just the axle itself needing replaced such as bent brake mounting brackets. What all does your receipt say the shop replaced? Without a print out of the alignment they say they completed hard to know anything as they could be pulling numbers from thin air. Are the tires centered in the wheel wells front to back? If they are then i would assume the panhard mounting bracket is tweaked ever so slightly which doesn't take much to account for the measurements were talking about here and could either be fixed by a frame shop or by an adjustable panhard bar to pull the rearend back over (adjustable bar wouldn't be the correct way to do it really but would suffice if everything was structurally sound). If the tires are not centered in the wheel well on both sides then you have much bigger issues than you are being told.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No print out. They said the right rear tire was .3 of degree off but still pass specs for Chrysler/dodge. Getting measurements done tomorrow for the frame.
sounds like you have a small buckle in the frame .Some times you cant see them you might have to remove the bed to really go over it.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ok well my chevy buddy said its independent lol. I was hit directly on the rim on the right rear side. But i replaced the axle my self as im trying to save money. But everything looked fine inside the gears. Its really hard to see if if the track bar is tweaked or the brackets. My wife has a big horn model an ill try my best to compare. Really stumped on this.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I was under the impression the dealer replaced the axle, aligned it and said all was within specs. Now knowing you replaced the axle, it is. VERY possible you did it correctly, but is also VERY possible you did not take frame measurements to see what else was affected.

When someone hits you, it’s best not to try to save their money.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well they didnt put it on the hoist to do frame measurements due to dilemma. But they measured the four points underneath with a tape an its on the money. But we did notice the box may have shifted as its tight to the passenger side rear bumper which i stumps me again if i got hit on the passenger rear. And reason why i didnt go thru insurance as i my deductible is high. Anyways she drives normal , no grinding, no noises, no wobble , and with the alignment done it drives straighter then before. So im going to install the lift kit i ordered an hopefully it pans out well.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO im not a true mechanic in any sense but if this were my truck I would for sure get it checked with a good frame shop. I wouldn't want to have a chance of getting hit again or hitting a hard pot holt and possibly the buckle breaking / cracking over time and or bending it more totaling the truck.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone else hit you and it wasn’t your fault, their insurance pays for everything and you wouldn’t need to pay deductible.

my wife got rear ended in her wrangler about a month ago and the other insurance paid for everything and not a single penny out of our pocket.

hope you get everything worked out. Maybe try going through their insurance before it’s too late. Or maybe it is already if you started wrenching on it yourself.

OP
OP
D

Darren Plummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well no one was charge so we have to pay the deduct. Like i stated we noticed the box off set , so im going to move that shift that over. The truck has bin driving great for where i live. Hit many pot holes , had weight on the back end and still no noises , no wobble , no vibrations , rear tires spin normal with no wobble in the tires. Mabey its a dodge thing? Cause when i measure the front tires they sit further out then the rears.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If someone else hit you and it wasn’t your fault, their insurance pays for everything and you wouldn’t need to pay deductible.

my wife got rear ended in her wrangler about a month ago and the other insurance paid for everything and not a single penny out of our pocket.

hope you get everything worked out. Maybe try going through their insurance before it’s too late. Or maybe it is already if you started wrenching on it yourself.

That evidentily depends on where you live. My daughter got sideswiped by a guy flying up the shoulder of the road, driving an F150 no less, and 100% his fault. She had to pay deductible and her insurance said they will get it back for her from the other drivers insurance.

manogmin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think if you were hit in the passenger side and it did not contact the bed, the bed would slide to the passenger side if a little loose. Or rather, the bed would not have slid to the driver side with the frame. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk