rear end bouncy on highway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yea these can be fun to find. Check your tires air psi, move rotate them. Tranny mount possible, cross joints yes, dragging rear brakes an lots more.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I will get new shocks when I get the money for the 5100s.

I jacked up the rear end and threw it in neutral and spun the wheels. I'm not sure how hard its supposed to be to spin, but how would I really notice brake drag?? I think I need to do my 3 brake hoses, so maybe the rear one failed and is holding the brakes down a little? A thought I guess.

Tire pressures are correct. I recently rotated my tires, with no change.

I found out I need a new passenger wheel bearing in the front. Probably not related.

There has been a loud whine coming from the rear end (I'm pretty sure) for a while now. No idea what that issue is. (I posted about it already a while ago.)

I'm just throwing this stuff out there.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
There has been a loud whine coming from the rear end (I'm pretty sure) for a while now. No idea what that issue is. (I posted about it already a while ago.)

Time to pull differential cover...

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I pulled it and took a look at it. Everything looked perfectly fine! No chunks missing, no abnormal shavings, or anything weird.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As far as rotation? I'm not sure. Maybe a half inch? My pinion doesn't move or wiggle in any direction, except when I rotate it.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
**** thats weird. Confirm where the whine is coming from, that will help a lot. Could be very related, could be nothing.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Check xcase oil level and check the rear output shafts c clip.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I jacked up the rear end of the truck and got it up to speed. It sounded like it was definitely coming from the rear end. But everything seems good. Only issue I see is the output of the transfer case. I can move the driveshaft all around. The oil level was fine. And what are you talking about as far as c clips?

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
From what I've seen is a new snap ring? I will have to look into it more later.

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright so I found it. Looks almost like a bushing, right? Well anyway, should I take off the tail section of the transfer case and see if I need it, or just get it anyway? And it does mention that SOME transfer cases will require them to be disassembled to install this. Is there any way to find out if I will have to do that? I mean, of course, without just trying?

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, since I've last posted in this thread.. I still have the issue. All new tires, both leaf springs are new. Motor was replaced due to rod bearings. I swapped the t-case because my overdrive housing snapped off at the rear and ruined the splines.

I have ever so slight play up and down in my pinion. I know it needs to be fixed, but i'm not convinced thats my issue.

I noticed today for sure that it does it when it wants to, really. If i'm cruising down the highway at about 65 and I let off the gas completely, sometimes it bounced in the rear. If i give it gas it stops.

If I am in stop and go traffic, and i let off the brake and let it roll (maybe 10-15 mph) it bounces. Is it a torque converter issue??

Also, it only does it once it's started. If it decides it's not going to do it during a drive, then it never happens. But once it does it on the highway, it never stops. That's what really boggles me. Still haven't gotten shocks yet.

BigRedTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Any cure yet? I'm having the identical problem with my 1997 2500 4x4. I'm about to take the drive shaft to be balanced, but not for any reason other that I cant find anything else...

Lesnocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My uncle Had a 00 3500 Quad cab Duley. Never hauled or towed anything. Just a cod piece. He had an issue with bouncing. My dad followed him home incase the rear end came apart. Well the rear tires were leaving the ground at every bump. Had to use a backhoe in the bed to break the springs loose. Probably not your issue though lol

How's the transmission / engine mounts. If it's doing it power on , power off has to be binding somewhere. Pinion gear would be making noise id assume. My WJ grand Cherokee howled on the interstate for years before it went.

Last edited: