rear end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i tend to spin the tires quite often with all this snow we have.. but sometimes if i give it some gas to really get the tires going, i hear this odd noise..

Not sure how to explain it but it most resembles a noise i hear if i were to slam on my breaks and slide on snow or ice.. in a way like a grinding but not so harsh, sorry that my description is so vague but i want too know what that noise in..

Since it resembles a noise when i am pushing on the breaks and sliding, could it be something like the truck applying the brake to try and get the tire from spinning? any insight would be helpful.

Also, how do i tell if i have a LSD? and if i dont what would it be called a open diff? thanks in advance.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it be traction control applying the brake to control the spinning?

LSD would be spinning both wheels. If only one is breaking loose, then it is an open diff.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Is your truck 4wd or 2wd? Also, so you can't hear the noise when braking or going over bumps? Only when accelerating? If so are you hearing it at lower speeds and higher speeds, either, or both?

It sounds like a driveline or differential noise to me possibly. Here's a website that maybe can guide you at least in the right direction.

Quick Guide to Diagnosing Differential & Driveline Noises - OnAllCylinders

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its 4wd and its a 2003 so im not sure if i have traction control

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what you are saying it sounds like the traction control is kicking in.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
its 4wd and its a 2003 so im not sure if i have traction control

03, no electronic traction control. In the snow it should be easy to tell if you have a open differential or not. Place one tire on the pavement and the other off. Hit it pretty good and if the tire spins that is off the pavement and the one on the pavement doesn't then it's a open diff or a broken lsd. Some of the 03 thru 05 have had broken clutch clips that will make noise as they chew up the housing. I would pull the cover and inspect.