Rear end Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jameszag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hello new here. I just purchased a 2016
Ram Outdoorsman 2500 with the 6.7
I quizzed the sales rep on the gear ratio
And he couldn’t tell me.
He got me a copy of the original window
Sticker . First it says standard equipment
3.73 axle ratio then under optional
Equipment it says 4.10 ratio now further on
It says6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. 6 speed automatic and 3.42 rear axle ratio.

That’s 3 different ones also at 60 mph
In 6th it’s doing 1400 RPM

thanks hope this question is in the right area

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't believe there was an optional gear ratio for the '16 2500 CTD, the gear in all of them should be 3.42. Also no there gear ratio is listed for CTD on the SAE J2807
The optional gear ratio (4.10) for the Outdoorsman package would be negated by the powertrain gear ratio. I know with the 1500 Outdoorsman that 3.92 and the BW44-45 was part of the package but not all the EcoDiesels left the factory built with those.
If your concerned about the rear axle ratio for towing purposes, you'll run out of axle weight capacity long before you your lacking gearing with a CTD under the hood.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My truck has 3.42 gears and it runs at about 1400 rpm at 60mph when in 6th gear with the stock size 275/70/18 tires.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Two options open to you to pin it down. The first is crawl under the truck and look at the tag on the axle; it will tell you the ratio or give the code for it so you can look it up or ask here about it.

Your other option is to get a build sheet for the truck, which will show you everything that went into it. I think this site can give you a build sheet based upon your VIN:
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Best,
DG

OP
OP
J

Jameszag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I’ll crawl under it tomorrow and have a look. Thanks for the information

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Test drove a HD a while ago, and it had 4.10's and the tach was at 2k at 60ish mph. My CTD euipped 2500 has the 3.42's.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello new here. I just purchased a 2016
Ram Outdoorsman 2500 with the 6.7
I quizzed the sales rep on the gear ratio
And he couldn’t tell me.
He got me a copy of the original window
Sticker . First it says standard equipment
3.73 axle ratio then under optional
Equipment it says 4.10 ratio now further on
It says6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. 6 speed automatic and 3.42 rear axle ratio.

That’s 3 different ones also at 60 mph
In 6th it’s doing 1400 RPM

thanks hope this question is in the right area

Yeah, I've found the window stickers ultra-confusing to tell what is actually on THIS vehicle. I get that the optional equipment replaces standard but even past that it's not always clear.

I think in this case the base HD gas has 3.73 with a 4.10 option. Then your truck has the Cummins option as well which all come with the 3.42 for that year/type of truck (I think only DRW/Cummins had a 4.10 option to get to max tow rating).

Making it worse, the dealers often just post the standard equipment on their website under the specific vehicle listing which confuses things when shopping. Of course, the salesmen don't usually know either.

I think in the end there just aren't that many lunatics like all of us on these message boards that research things in such detail. Most people just hop in and if the seat is comfortable they buy it.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think in the end there just aren't that many lunatics like all of us on these message boards that research things in such detail. Most people just hop in and if the seat is comfortable they buy it.

Yep, when I bought my truck the salesman asked me if I wanted a job as the truck sales manager. He said that I knew more about the Rams than any salesman there. I was flattered but I also thought it was sad. I also knew more about the Journey we were looking at than he did. Many things were similar to a Jeep GC I owned before. To be fair he was new to the dealership. He came from a Ford dealership. But he was a really nice guy.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have always known more than the salesman that was selling a vehicle. And some of those purchases were before the internet! (Yes I am that old) It wasn't that I knew everything about the vehicle it was the salesperson didn't know $hit! They cold figure out the model & the color & not much else! :Big Laugh:

17 Trash Hauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
06 mega / 17 crew lb
Engine
5.7/6.7
Jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands. Put it in neutral. Mark the inside of the tire and spin the driveline counting how many times it goes around to 1 full rotation of the tire. 3.42 gears will be 3.5 revolutions, 410 will be just past 4 revolutions.

Steve Davis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Is there a Surefire way for me to tell what gear ratio is in my 2014 Ram 2500 HD with the 6.4 liter hemi?