Rear end swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Wood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking about swapping in a rear end with 3.92 gears . What yrs will work? Are 4x4 rear ends posi?
Any other generations swap with out modification?
Thanks in advance.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You mean swapping the entire axle out or just changing the gears? Do you have a 4wd or 2wd?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Posi (Positraction) is a GM trademark. It is random whether 4x4 or 4x2 have LSD. You can swap the whole rear axle, but if you have a 4x4 you have to front AND rear (hence why that question was asked that you didn't answer).

OP
OP
Mark Wood

Mark Wood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry..yes it is a 2wd.
What yrs or other gens will swap?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
All 02-08 9.25” rear axles should be a direct fit. 2nd gen truck’s have drum brakes I believe so it probably wouldn’t be worth getting one from there

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All 02-08 9.25” rear axles should be a direct fit. 2nd gen truck’s have drum brakes I believe so it probably wouldn’t be worth getting one from there

I Bleed Ram Trucks

^^That. Then you just need to adjust the pinion factor in the TCM. It will run (no limp mode) but things will be off.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
^^That. Then you just need to adjust the pinion factor in the TCM. It will run (no limp mode) but things will be off.

No need to adjust the computers for gear changes, only tire size

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Mark Wood

Mark Wood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta be a reason it's a DRB option

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
What is this you all are talking about .
I'm new to Ram...kust want a little more pep..figured it would be just easier to swap whole rear end.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No need to adjust the computers for gear changes, only tire size

I Bleed Ram Trucks
No he's right, had to go back to the manual and check myself. Pinion factor setting is for tire height. If you swap in an unaltered factory rear, the tone ring will be the same diameter regardless of what ring gear it's attached to and read the same. Just don't change your tire height.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't make sense. Changing tire size changes the effective gear ratio. Changing the rear would be the same thing. Just having done it on some older cars, it definitely threw off the speedo.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That doesn't make sense. Changing tire size changes the effective gear ratio. Changing the rear would be the same thing. Just having done it on some older cars, it definitely threw off the speedo.

I’m pretty sure rams have the abs/speed sensor in the rear differential or the front hub bearings. The rear diff has a tone ring behind the ring gear that has a sensor in the top of the diff. So it’s just calculating how fast the driveshaft/axles spin and the computer adjusts that to the tire size that’s programmed in. It doesn’t matter if it’s turning at a 3.55, 3.92 or 4.56 ratio, it’s reading the tone ring at whatever speed it’s rotating at. That’s why you reprogram for tire size and not gears. In this pic you can see the tone ring behind the teeth or the ring gear. That got swapped from my old oem diff to the new TruTrac unit I put in ce33d50535826ff744c25705574c400f.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m pretty sure rams have the abs/speed sensor in the rear differential or the front hub bearings. The rear diff has a tone ring behind the ring gear that has a sensor in the top of the diff. So it’s just calculating how fast the driveshaft/axles spin and the computer adjusts that to the tire size that’s programmed in. It doesn’t matter if it’s turning at a 3.55, 3.92 or 4.56 ratio, it’s reading the tone ring at whatever speed it’s rotating at. That’s why you reprogram for tire size and not gears. In this pic you can see the tone ring behind the teeth or the ring gear. That got swapped from my old oem diff to the new TruTrac unit I put in

Both, depending on if 2 or 4 wheel ABS. The tone ring is the same size on all the 9.25's regardless of ratio; even the Dana 60 in the SRT trucks has the same size tone ring.

As long as the tire height stays constant it doesn't affect how the electronic speedo reads. Changing gear ratio in an old car will because speedo input is taken from the transmission. Changing the gear ratio changes how fast the output shaft (where most of them read or are gear driven if it's old enough) of the transmission spins.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
gotcha, didn't realize they were pulling from the diff and not the trans. Makes sense now.

Simpsj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also interested in gear swap. I have an 2012 express with the 3.55 gears and anti spin differential. Also swapped to 22 in wheels. Was thinking I'd like the 4.10 gears like the rt model. Whats best option? Buy parts or swap axle?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm also interested in gear swap. I have an 2012 express with the 3.55 gears and anti spin differential. Also swapped to 22 in wheels. Was thinking I'd like the 4.10 gears like the rt model. Whats best option? Buy parts or swap axle?

Easiest is swap axle as a unit (as long as you have a 2wd like an R/T).

Simpsj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HemiLonestar Thanks for advice. Gears are 699 w install kit. Then I gotta pay to have put in so I'm going to start searching today. Hopefully not to difficult to find.

hilby17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Just throwing it out there I have carrier with lsd if you are in need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk