Rear end swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephreyjr95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got an 04 5.7 hemi 1500, not entirely sure where the failure is but I’m lead to believe it’s the rear diff. It’s been squealing for a week or so, last night I heard this loud click/pop and then the truck started vibrating pretty violently. Crept home at about 10mph. Upon visual inspection there’s nothing leaking or anything that is noticeably damaged. I’m going to pop the diff cover off tonight to see what I can find out. Finances aren’t the greatest atm, so I’m thinking of going to pull a part and getting a whole rear end and swapping it. Any advice on figuring out the gear ratios or finding a compatible rear end would be appreciated. If it sounds like the issue could be something else, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I believe there is/was a sticker in the glove box that originally would have had the gear ratio the truck came with.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got an 04 5.7 hemi 1500, not entirely sure where the failure is but I’m lead to believe it’s the rear diff. It’s been squealing for a week or so, last night I heard this loud click/pop and then the truck started vibrating pretty violently. Crept home at about 10mph. Upon visual inspection there’s nothing leaking or anything that is noticeably damaged. I’m going to pop the diff cover off tonight to see what I can find out. Finances aren’t the greatest atm, so I’m thinking of going to pull a part and getting a whole rear end and swapping it. Any advice on figuring out the gear ratios or finding a compatible rear end would be appreciated. If it sounds like the issue could be something else, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it is the rear end and that it isn't a failed driveshaft u-joint? They will act like you describe.

Easiest way to tell the ratio, if both tires are off of the ground - rotate the pinion and count how many revolutions it takes to make the tire go 1 complete revolution.
Or there may be a tag on the rear
Or some older models put it in the glovebox door
Or get the VIN and run it to see what it came with.
After that you have to pull the cover

OP
OP
josephreyjr95

josephreyjr95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The u joint doesn’t appear to be damaged, visibly. I haven’t really done any inspecting yet. That’s where I’m gonna start. In the event that it is, I’ll be surely happy about that being the issue and not the rear end. Last time I had a u joint go out on me my driveshaft broke free and ripped the tail housing off of the transmission. I figured if it was the universal joint I would at least be able to see where something malfunctioned. Is that not accurate?

MyNameIsDaryl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you disconnect the driveshaft and inspected to make sure the pinion nut hasn't started backing off. Causing the pinion to fall into the ring gears making a clunking or destroying the interior