rear fender well rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
was browsing around another dodge forum and noticed a thread how to check if the backside of your fender wells are rusting out. Not sure why lately, but i've been so concerned about my rear fender wells eventually rusting out. Probably just bc of all the trucks i see these days with the dreaded fender well cancer. What guys were doin-if u just pull your tailights off and look in the cavity of the bed over the rear wheels with a flashlight, u can see the "v" in the metal welds and such right over the wheel where it rusts from the backside. Guys were just sprayin some sort of rust preventative through the taillight opening. Decided to pull my lights and take a look, sure enough, right dead center over the rear wheels i could see rust on the backside of the fender. Had some rust dissolver gel from advance auto layin around, so i just put that stuff in a squirt bottle and sprayed the crap out of the whole seam on the inner side of the fender. Gonna try to pull the lights every so often and spray some rust proofing crap all inside there so hopefully i never have to worry about it. Along with my recently installed rear wheel well liners, salt and **** shouldn't get thrown up there anymore (hopefully). My truck being an 07 is still in 100% great shape with not a single scratch or dent, and is garage stored 100% of the time (drive a service truck throughout the week), and i would probably cry if i saw my paint start to bubble and rust coming through

Last edited:

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to change your post an delete the other forum name. Good info, but no need to know where it came from.

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
oops, sorry. No idea how to change it, but give me a minute and i'll see if i can figure it out

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like a good idea to me... nip it in the bud before it rusts

[ tapatalkin ]

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just sounded like a good preventative rust solution. Might pull all my wheel liners off after winter and try to get a good look behind the fenders to see if rust is forming. Just trying to prevent as much as i can before it's too late!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

amenges

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice post.. Road salt, outside storage and other stuff can be hell on the inside of the fenders and other gaps in the body work. One thing I recommend to everyone that gets a new vehicle is to have the underside sprayed with an oil based product

Back in the day they had a product called "cosmoline" that was amazing. I don't know what they use now but I do know when I see spots that are missed or need touched up, I'll use a little bit of any bed liner roll on, or keep thinning what cosmoline i had left with naphtha haha

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
was thinkin about tryin to see if i can pick this up locally somewhere (maybe tractor supply)Fluid Film 11.75 oz. Aerosol
Supposed to be good stuff to prevent rust, just spray the crap out of the inside of the bed panel cavities from time to time and i should be good to go

oggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been wanting to do the same thing since I bought my truck. Most of the dodge trucks I looked at had some rust starting or had rusted through. I'm gonna get some of that Fluid Film. Couple other products out there to gonna check into. I don't want to fix and rust ! I did plenty of that for 30 years !

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I talked to one of my dads friends who does body work and he looked at my dads 04 bc the passenger side has bubbles on it and he said alot of what causes it is that Dodge put like a foam insulation inside there and left a gap between the fender well and the foam, so the moisture and air get in there and that helps to rust it out. But my dad says hes got no complaints with his truck, besides the rust. he rolled it on the drivers side back in 07, but insurance covered it and got it repaired, so the whole drivers side has new panels on it. but the cab corners on passenger side wheel well are gettin pretty bad and hes got just under 140K on it lol