Rear Gear Lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi-ram2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Laramie hemi CrewCab
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any one know of the miles when it should be changed. 2018 cc Hemi 2wd 31,000miles.
I took in for oil change last week and they suggested now,but I think too soon? Thanks

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do mine every spring, just because it's super quick and easy and costs almost nothing to do it myself.

That amounts to every 30k miles. The fluid has always looked the same coming out as going in so I'm thinking you don't need to scramble to get it done by any means. I don't think the manual has an actual interval for the diff fluid, it just says to check it every 20k miles and change as necessary.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember right (not convenient to look now) the owner's manual says to change rear axle lube at 60k miles if towing/taxi/service use, otherwise inspect the level and ignore it.

I'll follow the severe service recommendation in my truck even though it doesn't really get worked that hard, definitely no reason to change it at 31k miles unless you suspect actual contamination or it's just really old (like 10 years..) In case the old oil degrades in the presence of oxygen.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's good to get the first one out of there. It's really good to take the diff cover off and clean away any shavings. At a minimum, change the fluid when it is warm. The booty is also an inspection window, water can get into gears and turn it milky looking, at a minimum you should inspect it once a year. Make sure breather tube is in good location. Redline or Amsoil gear fluid is a longer interval, they pay for themselves. But you still need to watch for water intrusion.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Don't waste your $$ on Amsoil or Redline. Just get whatever gear oil meets the Mopar specs.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
My 16 sport crew cab 5.7 owners manual suggests every 60k miles, or more frequent if towing. Check your manual.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its not to soon but alot of people do not change it often and some not at all, those people usually are the ones that buy a new car every 3vyrs . just my opinion.

I changed mine at 25k with Redline gear lube mainly because I plan on keeping my truck and hope by doing regular maintenance it will last for years.
I used Redline because it and Amsoil are some of the best oils and the best in cold temps. Cheap gear oil in real cold temps are like peanut butter in your diff and do very little to lube anything untill it finally gets warmed up.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:D my gear oil brand choice is based entirely on smell .. So far the least repulsive smelling gear oil I've used is mobil one. I don't even care if it lubes better or worse than some other brand

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
my gear oil brand choice is based entirely on smell .. So far the least repulsive smelling gear oil I've used is mobil one.
I find this method of selecting gear oil fascinating and mildly disturbing at the same time...LOL!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Replaced OEM front at rear diffs at 90k with $10/qt valvoline full synthetic.

Save your money for fancy case and trans fluids.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:D my gear oil brand choice is based entirely on smell .. So far the least repulsive smelling gear oil I've used is mobil one. I don't even care if it lubes better or worse than some other brand
I actually like the smell of gear oil, only just recently learned that most people can't stand the stuff!

Octane

Reaction score
Personally I like the smell of Castrol gear oil.And it looks really good. Maybe I'll take a taste....nah. lol