Rear Level Pros Cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkippyDD12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and Rams in general. After a lot of reading up on the front leveling option, I have opted to stay away from that and have started looking at leveling the truck by lowering the rear instead, as I like to be a little different from everyone as well, as it seems everyone lifts the front where I am.

I am wondering if I can just buy 2 inch drop springs for the rear and keep everything else stock without issue? I am looking at the maxtrac 2 inch drop springs. Does anyone run these and have any input? I have searched the forum and no real luck, lots of differing opinions. The truck will be on road in 2wd 95% of the time.

Truck is a 2013 quad cab with the hemi, 4x4.

Thanks! (apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot)

OP
OP
SkippyDD12

SkippyDD12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Con- not low enough. lol!! kidding.

You'll be fine with a lower springs in the rear to level it out. Would suggest Air Lift helper bags for when you have weight in the truck or towing so it does look sacked out.

Awesome! Thank you. I was thinking about rear bags as well. I’ve read that some times people’s axles shift a bit when lowering the rear, is this only when doing a full kit or any lowering?

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Con- not low enough. lol!! kidding.

You'll be fine with a lower springs in the rear to level it out. Would suggest Air Lift helper bags for when you have weight in the truck or towing so it does look sacked out.
eventually thats how you feel haha

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Thank you. I was thinking about rear bags as well. I’ve read that some times people’s axles shift a bit when lowering the rear, is this only when doing a full kit or any lowering?

Not totally sure if the axle moves when only doing a rear level, my guess is yes but i have no experience with that. I added a stronger panhard bar in the rear anyway because i have a sickness thats cured with truck parts.... In all honesty the panhard bar did make a world of difference and was worth it when towing.

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dropped mine with 2" rear drop springs. Everything else is stock. Drives the same. Towed the large Uhaul trailer from Orlando to Jacksonville recently without a problem. Had 4 wheels and tires in the bed too.
IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1484.jpg

OP
OP
SkippyDD12

SkippyDD12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I dropped mine with 2" rear drop springs. Everything else is stock. Drives the same. Towed the large Uhaul trailer from Orlando to Jacksonville recently without a problem. Had 4 wheels and tires in the bed too.
View attachment 220317 View attachment 220318

That’s not bad at all! What springs did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I used McCaughys. Easy to put in. Just unbolt bottom shock push down the axle and switch them out.

Wilmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are going MaxTrac, I suggest using the 3 inch drop rear springs. Adding 1000HD AirLift bags while you have it apart. I have the 2in MaxTrac drop rear springs and 1000HD airbags. With 0 or less than 5psi in the bags, there is still a rake, the 2inch drop springs gave me less than 2 inches, more like 1 and 5/8 inches, over time probably 1 3/4 but still a noticeable rake. Get the 3 inch rear drop springs, install the AirLift 1000HD bags, if it goes below level, you can always add a little air to keep it level .

With the 2 in drop springs from MaxTrac, and with the AirLift 1000HD bags, I have had a payload of 2400 lbs. At 50psi (max psi), it dropped 3 inches, and my truck was sitting level.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about ride quality and bumpstops? I'm looking to keep the vehicle as squishy and comfortable as possible, but wouldn't mind the rear loading be a little lower and the aesthetic appeal of leveling.

My other concern is that I was reading that with 2" F/ 4" R, that you can end up with various issues including wobble at high speeds (80mph+). Would no front drop and 2" rear drop still have the same issue because of the axle angle, since its still a 2" difference front to rear compared to stock?