Rear Level Pros Cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nathan Huntley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are going MaxTrac, I suggest using the 3 inch drop rear springs. Adding 1000HD AirLift bags while you have it apart. I have the 2in MaxTrac drop rear springs and 1000HD airbags. With 0 or less than 5psi in the bags, there is still a rake, the 2inch drop springs gave me less than 2 inches, more like 1 and 5/8 inches, over time probably 1 3/4 but still a noticeable rake. Get the 3 inch rear drop springs, install the AirLift 1000HD bags, if it goes below level, you can always add a little air to keep it level .

With the 2 in drop springs from MaxTrac, and with the AirLift 1000HD bags, I have had a payload of 2400 lbs. At 50psi (max psi), it dropped 3 inches, and my truck was sitting level.

Thanks for the info.
I just joined this forum to look into lowering my 2016 Laramie 4x4. 2" is not enough 4" is too much I believe. I want to level the truck out. One for looks, two so it will fit in my garage. 3" sounds about perfect. Truck already has airbags. Will stock shocks still work with 3"? Also read were the panhard bar should be lowered also.
Thanks.

OP
OP
SkippyDD12

SkippyDD12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I haven’t got the chance to put springs in my truck yet, however after loading my bike in the back this past weekend, I’m sold!

00A41FBE-99C4-4905-AD61-B6CCABD97437.jpeg

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt want to spend $200+ for 2" drop springs so I bought a set of stock take off rear springs for $40 and cut one and a half coils off and lowered it that way. It's not quite 2 inches lower but it's close. It may not be the "right" way to do it but it's been working fine now for 40k miles. I am going to be installing a set of airlift 1000 bags because I will be towing a pretty heavy within the next few days.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those of you with the 2" rear drop, what is the final clearance between top of wheel well opening and top of tire?

Killface3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and Rams in general. After a lot of reading up on the front leveling option, I have opted to stay away from that and have started looking at leveling the truck by lowering the rear instead, as I like to be a little different from everyone as well, as it seems everyone lifts the front where I am.

I am wondering if I can just buy 2 inch drop springs for the rear and keep everything else stock without issue? I am looking at the maxtrac 2 inch drop springs. Does anyone run these and have any input? I have searched the forum and no real luck, lots of differing opinions. The truck will be on road in 2wd 95% of the time.

Truck is a 2013 quad cab with the hemi, 4x4.

Thanks! (apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot)
I pulled out the rear springs in my 2012 R/T and cut two lengths of coil
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and Rams in general. After a lot of reading up on the front leveling option, I have opted to stay away from that and have started looking at leveling the truck by lowering the rear instead, as I like to be a little different from everyone as well, as it seems everyone lifts the front where I am.

I am wondering if I can just buy 2 inch drop springs for the rear and keep everything else stock without issue? I am looking at the maxtrac 2 inch drop springs. Does anyone run these and have any input? I have searched the forum and no real luck, lots of differing opinions. The truck will be on road in 2wd 95% of the time.

Truck is a 2013 quad cab with the hemi, 4x4.

Thanks! (apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot)
I pulled the rear springs on my '12 R/T, cut two coils off each spring with a grinder, Reinstalled with stock shocks. Have had zero issues. my truck isn't perfectly level, but close. I might cut another half a coil off each one. And no, I haven't been banging the bump stops. I don't think it's bottomed once.

OP
OP
SkippyDD12

SkippyDD12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How'd your install go?
Do you like the looks after?

Install was super easy. 45 mins for both sides. Something important that I realized was that the spring isolators have alignment marks on the top, so I had to re-position them, but it looks awesome! I’m doing a repair on my box side right now or I’d get better pics, but here’s a pic I took right after I was done 760e774525d97844823cb2bc59e93d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedonkulousD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used McCaughys. Easy to put in. Just unbolt bottom shock push down the axle and switch them out.
So if you unbolt the bottom shock you won’t have to use a spring compressor to remove the factory spring? I ordered the springs from suspension superstore and plan to do this Saturday, along with going ahead and putting airlift bags in lowered springs before installing them.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if you unbolt the bottom shock you won’t have to use a spring compressor to remove the factory spring? I ordered the springs from suspension superstore and plan to do this Saturday, along with going ahead and putting airlift bags in lowered springs before installing them.
Correct, just lower the rear end far enough and they will come right out with some wiggling.

RedonkulousD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used McCaughys. Easy to put in. Just unbolt bottom shock push down the axle and switch them out.
Doing this job in the morning. One final question. I’ve seen videos where guys unbolt the sway bar, did you have to do this also?

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't need to unbolt the sway bar. Easy job. I had both wheels off and jack stands on the frame in front of the rear axle.

RedonkulousD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. I didn’t have to do anything but the shocks. What’s weird though is that when I measure the rear wheel well height I’m getting 38 3/8 on one side and 38 on the other. I thought it would be lower than that. I’ve seen videos where people get closer to 37” out of 2 inch lowering springs on the rear. I even hooked my camper up to it thinking that would settle it more, but it made no difference. Also, I only have 5 psi in the bags and even measure with them empty, no difference.
Don't need to unbolt the sway bar. Easy job. I had both wheels off and jack stands on the frame in front of the rear axle

Last edited:

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is your truck a regular cab, quad cab or a Crew cab? The rear springs drop the truck the most on the Crew cab. I guess they are heavier.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, planning to install 2" drop springs soon. Do you have to realign your headlights after the install?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Elvira

Reaction score
The idea of lowering the rear for levelling is a great idea, cheaper and much easier for sure. i did the front on my little Ram because I wanted the extra ground clearance same time, winter, off road etc.

Attachments

• 20211108_143029.jpg
    20211108_143029.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 13