Rear park sense braking and ghosts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Rear park sense can see into the great beyond and brakes for ghosts and other spirits.

All joking aside I like the idea of park sense rear braking but tonight it slammed the brakes on hard. I pulled into a parking lot after a 20 mile drive the brakes were warm and I smelled hot brakes. Everything works as is but damn you look and sound like an idiot when it kicks in.

I disabled the rear braking in the UConnect settings but may end up turning it back on and disabling it with the switch. The ***** of it all is it kicks in when you least expect it.

Rant over...

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has kicked in when backing out of a driveway. I assumed that it was the small dip where that driveway met the road. That have been a couple of times that I couldn't figure it what it 'saw'.

I guess it's better to have a few false positives than failure to engage when needed. It sure can startle a fellow at times.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front and rear auto braking will be the first thing I turn off when I get my 21. In addition to what was described for backing out of driveways, I've also heard recently of the front brakes activating when going under a bridge or underpass. Obviously stuff like this is pretty dangerous, could only imagine the thing slamming on the brakes on the highway going under a bridge or something.

I know it's not common, I've only heard of that scenario a few times, but I'm not going to risk it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
At least it slows or stops the vehicle when it mistakes a bridge for an obstacle. The Tesla thinks a tractor trailer across the road is a bridge and keeps going. :oops:

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The lane assist technology can also do some strange things.

I was driving a Hyundai with all the safety stuff and it got confused where a road forked.

Yeah... Self driving had a bit of work before it's ready for mass distribution.

I'm waiting for an opportunistic attorney to take some of this automation to task. We all know that a driver is still responsible, but we also know what lawyers, juries, etc can do.

I really like some of the safety, convenience and comfort technology - adaptive cruise, back up warning, cameras, heated seats and steering wheel...

I just don't honestly understand what was so broken about physical linkage to throttle control, etc that needed to be 'fixed' in this way. Why do we need a computer to operate these things?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk