Rear Parking Assist Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I'm sorry if this has been discussed but can't find this particular issue posted here.

My truck has the 4 sensors in the rear bumper and I have the Parking Assist enabled in the dash settings. I can select Disable, Sound Only, Sound and Display. I've tried both Sound Only and Sound and Display. I've also Disabled it, then re-enabled it.

However, when the truck is running, E-Brake off, Truck in reverse my display says that the Parking Sensors are Disabled.

I also have a LockPick and a MiniMax Tuner but can't find any settings that would override the dash settings. I just can't get it to work.

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There may be an active fault. You’ll need a proper scan tool that can retrieve communication dtcs.

OP
OP
Jeff Bottemiller

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thanks, I double checked. No codes. I've had the truck about 2 years and it worked when I got it. If all 4 sensors are bad is that the message I would get?

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No it would say Service park sensors!! Even though it says they are disable do they work or remain non working no matter?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, I double checked. No codes. I've had the truck about 2 years and it worked when I got it. If all 4 sensors are bad is that the message I would get?

You would get a service park assist message and the button by to turn them off would be lit up, if there was a fault with the system.

When the cluster says they’re disabled is the button to turn them off under the HVAC controls lit up?

OP
OP
Jeff Bottemiller

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Sigh...Now I feel dumb. I didn't realize there is a button specifically for that in addition to the dash settings. However, there is a light on that button that is lit when the sensors are turned off. When I press that button the light stays on and the sensors remain disabled. It won't let me turn it back on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sigh...Now I feel dumb. I didn't realize there is a button specifically for that in addition to the dash settings. However, there is a light on that button that is lit when the sensors are turned off. When I press that button the light stays on and the sensors remain disabled. It won't let me turn it back on.

There must be a fault with the system then. What did you use to check codes?

OP
OP
Jeff Bottemiller

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
the Mini Maxx is also a code reader. I had a low voltage code at one time that corrected with new batteries and I was able to clear it with the Mini Maxx.

Added: I pulled the cluster containing that button from the dash. It looks like the entire cluster would need to be replaced rather than just the button...if, in fact, the button is faulty.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The Mini maxx can only retrieve P codes which could turn on a check engine light. The park assist system does not set codes that would turn on the cel, they would set communication dtcs which your mini maxx can’t retrieve. You would need a scan tool capable of retrieving communication dtcs, to actually see if there was any faults.

OP
OP
Jeff Bottemiller

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
good to know. Thanks. I'll have to get a scanner that can do that

Added: I'm actually starting to suspect the Park Assist Module rather than the switch.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
good to know. Thanks. I'll have to get a scanner that can do that

Added: I'm actually starting to suspect the Park Assist Module rather than the switch.

It’s very possible but without a scan tool it’s pretty much guessing.

Failed sensors are common though. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a failed park assist module.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Jeff, It looks like, from your avatar, that you tow. If there is a trailer (with brakes) plugged into the 7 way, the park sense is disabled. Pretty sure it warns with an alarm though. Worth a look to make sure there are no problems in the tow plug, but still need a reader. Maybe AlfaOBD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963