Rear Passenger Door Stuck Closed/Locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, today was going to be a good day - as I was cleaning the truck out for my upcoming overlanding trip to AZ I realized that the rear passenger door will not open. I can't open it from the outside or the inside.
I looked up videos on this and previous posts without a solid explanation or remedy to getting the panel off to inspect what the heck is causing it to stay in the locked position/not open.

Has anyone had experience with this and can offer a solution?

One strange thing I noticed is that the lock knob thing that moves up and down when you lock/unlock the truck is "missing" from it's hole on the door panel.. I bought the truck used a few years ago and I think it has been missing for a while but I've never had issues opening the door.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It could be a few different things

The Rod that the Locking Knob is screwed onto, may be bent

This is the drivers side rear door with 1 of the panels removed, there are 2 panels, the glass is hidden behind the 2nd panel

r3AdBU.jpg

also there is a Child Lock, if you open the rear door that does open, look under the locking clamps on the edge of the door.
The other possible thing would be the actuator that unlocks & locks the door electronically.
Press the Unlock button on your FOB, while you listen for that locking mechanism to click, the noise will be loudest just below the door handle.

OP
OP
TinaKotek

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The inside of the panel looks pretty straight forward once you’re able to get in there and diagnose what could be going on..

So what’s the best way of getting the panel open when the door won’t open? All of the screws appear to be obstructed around the inside rim of the door.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but following , Best of luck
My guess you may have to remove the back seat to get access to remove the panel !
A body shop may have the answer. Also check You Tube, Ill update if I find anything

OP
OP
TinaKotek

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so it’s possible to remove the panel without opening your door and it’s not that difficult!
First remove the seat in the back attached with four bolts (18mm) then pull out the weather stripping around the door panel to expose the plastic door panel screws - they are t20 but they are only half exposed if you’re accessing them like this so I used a small pocket screw driver and was able to remove them without issue. There are two on each side and one screw on the bottom. You’ll have to remove the plastic floor trim piece at least half way to expose the bottom screw. Then pull up on the trim and remove.

I found 1. My manual door lock tab broke off which is why it wasn’t in place anymore. And the door isn’t opening with the key fob - does this mean the actuator needs to be changed?

Attachments

• E8811925-E850-45D9-AE6D-A4801F3BC806.jpeg
    E8811925-E850-45D9-AE6D-A4801F3BC806.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 7EAB3309-835C-490C-8105-6D0F7AB61333.jpeg
    7EAB3309-835C-490C-8105-6D0F7AB61333.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2E445DAB-540B-4456-B58B-26226B0DB58C.jpeg
    2E445DAB-540B-4456-B58B-26226B0DB58C.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 6F3A1DA0-93D1-4AAD-ABD6-794C154A6D87.jpeg
    6F3A1DA0-93D1-4AAD-ABD6-794C154A6D87.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 18
  • D404AC53-BE9F-4897-B5B1-1DF473452B78.jpeg
    D404AC53-BE9F-4897-B5B1-1DF473452B78.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 18

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I'd see if you are getting an electrical signal to it first. If so you have narrowed it down. Will it open manually by working that part by hand where the part is supposed to connect?

OP
OP
TinaKotek

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd see if you are getting an electrical signal to it first. If so you have narrowed it down. Will it open manually by working that part by hand where the part is supposed to connect?
Yes, the bellcrank will turn by hand and the door opens.. the one thing I don’t have on hand right now is a multimeter, that white bellcrank is attached to the actuator with a rod right?

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
Yes, the bellcrank will turn by hand and the door opens.. the one thing I don’t have on hand right now is a multimeter, that white bellcrank is attached to the actuator with a rod right?
It's been years since I played with one but I would guess the actuator is just operating the same thing the manual lock does by way of some linkage. Did it ever work with the fob?

OP
OP
TinaKotek

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been years since I played with one but I would guess the actuator is just operating the same thing the manual lock does by way of some linkage. Did it ever work with the fob?
It worked a week ago with the fob, the bell crank is not turning now when I use the fob and it doesn’t sound like the actuator is turning inside of the door. I’m looking at this video for how to access and change the actuator
How to change rear door lock actuator 09-18 ram 1500

Seems like my project for the day… going to see if I can pick up a bell crank replacement from the dealer and get a Dorman actuator

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
It worked a week ago with the fob, the bell crank is not turning now when I use the fob and it doesn’t sound like the actuator is turning inside of the door. I’m looking at this video for how to access and change the actuator

Seems like my project for the day… going to see if I can pick up a bell crank replacement from the dealer and get a Dorman actuator
Well I'll check and see how it went. I hope they have the sense to make sure you have any linkage you need,

mrfreak64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Did you end up fixing your door? I'm having same issue.