Rear Pinion Nut leaking, recall performed prior to my ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire101fighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after a 200 mile trip we returned home and while unloading noticed a puddle under the rear pinion. This has happened before and we pulled the drive shaft and noticed the retainer already installed by the factory for the pinion recall. Now it’s leaking through the splines it appears. Thoughts? Best way to correct it? Possibly retighten again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So after a 200 mile trip we returned home and while unloading noticed a puddle under the rear pinion. This has happened before and we pulled the drive shaft and noticed the retainer already installed by the factory for the pinion recall. Now it’s leaking through the splines it appears. Thoughts? Best way to correct it? Possibly retighten again?

Take the nut off, pull the yolk out put a new seal in for good measure, clean the splines male and female and use some silicone/right stuff on the splines and tighten it all back up. I'm guessing soneone replaced the seal at one point and didn't know it needed to be re sealed. Also check that your diff vent is free flowing not plugged off it could be pressuring up.

OP
OP
fire101fighter

fire101fighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take the nut off, pull the yolk out put a new seal in for good measure, clean the splines male and female and use some silicone/right stuff on the splines and tighten it all back up. I'm guessing soneone replaced the seal at one point and didn't know it needed to be re sealed. Also check that your diff vent is free flowing not plugged off it could be pressuring up.

Good stuff. I’ll probably try doing it tomorrow