Rear seat back. Fold down. Y or N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have 2014 Big Horn. Looked though the owners manual a lot. Only thing I've found about the rear seat is if you have heated or not. I'm not even sure what they call the things that make the floor level . But that's easy enough to figure out.

What I don't get is this.

Will the back of the rear seat fold down ? If so how ?
Been all over it but at times seems I only have one eye open. Would like to mount something behind the back of the rear seat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For those interested .

PREVIEW 7:28 Back Seat Mod - Ram Crew Cab - PNWreckage YouTube · PNWreckage Apr 22, 2017

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2018 CC big horn does not fold down. I've seen mods before on forums that make it fold down but still not much space.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have 2014 Big Horn. Looked though the owners manual a lot. Only thing I've found about the rear seat is if you have heated or not. I'm not even sure what they call the things that make the floor level . But that's easy enough to figure out.

What I don't get is this.

Will the back of the rear seat fold down ? If so how ?
Been all over it but at times seems I only have one eye open. Would like to mount something behind the back of the rear seat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have mine modded to fold down. There are two different ways to do it. Either way takes about an hour.
1) Remove the back seats, place 7 1/2" washers over each seat bolt, and reinstall.
OR
2) Remove the seats, cut approx 3/4" off of the metal hook on the back of the seat that latches it in place, and reinstall.

I did the the washer stack to raise my seats because I have an amp installed behind the rear seat and a sub box installed under the seats.
There are YouTube videos that show each mod no matter which way you decide to go.
Hope this helps.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the mod. With the sound deadening material back there there is not enough room for much of anything, maybe a pair of jumper cables and z rain coat. I don't know if it was a smart idea after doing it I could see where running through a ditch or the like could bounce the bottom seat enough to let the back drop.?

OP
OP
R

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2003 the seat back would fold down.

Anyways thanks I'm off to YT to watch some vids.

OP
OP
R

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that I've seen it. I'm gonna pass on this mod for now anyways.

jeff1vol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone tell me WHY there is a loop handle behind the passanger rear seat? What good is that? Looks like you would pull it to fold the seat down. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone tell me WHY there is a loop handle behind the passanger rear seat? What good is that? Looks like you would pull it to fold the seat down. Thanks!

Anchor points for child car seats. 3 of them fastened to plates on the back wall. The center shoulder harness takes up most of the available space behind the rear seat and it is spot welded.

20190313_101757.jpg

Last edited:

jeff1vol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anchor points for child car seats. 3 of them fastened to plates on the back wall. The center shoulder harness takes up most of the available space behind the rear seat and it is spot welded.
10-4! Been a while since Ive needed car seats!!;)

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I wish there more room back there. I would really like to put a duha in and hang a fire extinguisher and some bolt bags for odd ball stuff. But without a major mod I don't think it is going to happen, and those things would still be a borderline fit.

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Today must have been "pull the strap to see if the seat folds down" day. I was at a car wash and decided to finally clean the tape residue that's been on my rear window since I bought the truck in January. I noticed the straps and thought "maybe". But nope.

I do keep things (Warning triangles, Reflector vest, etc) stuffed behind the seats, but they are accessed by flipping up the seat bottom and reaching in. Not the easiest way, but they're not used that often, and I know where they are. The other need to have stuff is kept in the under-floor storage boxes.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also did this but I cut the little hooks on the back of the seat. There is enough room for a little 1.5 or 2 gallon tank and compressor on the driver side. Jumpers and air hose on the passenger side.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Did the cut method on mine, very happy with the extra space. Hung a truck gun from the two wall hooks using 2 sided HD velcro, room to the floor boards for some emergency body armor and backpack. Lots of space for flatish 4" thick and less stuff.

OP
OP
R

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the cut method on mine, very happy with the extra space. Hung a truck gun from the two wall hooks using 2 sided HD velcro, room to the floor boards for some emergency body armor and backpack. Lots of space for flatish 4" thick and less stuff.

I was wanting to mount something back there for a truck rifle. That whole project is on the back burner for now anyways.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, I looked into making the back seats fold down, but after tearing into it and realizing how fairly minimal room there was back there I figured it just isnt worth it. Especially considering how many storage spaces there already are (two floor bins, area under the back seat, the ramboxes etc.).... I simply dont need anymore storage space.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was wanting to mount something back there for a truck rifle. That whole project is on the back burner for now anyways.
Was REALLY easy for the rifle. The seat behind the drivers side, there are the two hook brackets for the seatback to hang onto. Well, a 1/2" wide piece of double sided heavy duty Velcro about 10-15" inches in length on each bracket hangs a rifle very nicely from them. It's also up high enough so that the seatback presses on the rifle snug enough to keep it from moving around at all. Leaves all the space from the bottom of the rifle to the floorboard open for taller/thicker items.
The hardest part of the modification is getting those seat bolts to break free, some were VERY tough.

20190314_105603_resized.jpg

20190314_105626_resized.jpg

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was REALLY easy for the rifle. The seat behind the drivers side, there are the two hook brackets for the seatback to hang onto. Well, a 1/2" wide piece of double sided heavy duty Velcro about 10-15" inches in length on each bracket hangs a rifle very nicely from them. It's also up high enough so that the seatback presses on the rifle snug enough to keep it from moving around at all. Leaves all the space from the bottom of the rifle to the floorboard open for taller/thicker items.
The hardest part of the modification is getting those seat bolts to break free, some were VERY tough.

View attachment 158809

View attachment 158810

With the rifle hanging there, can you still raise the seat bottom(on either side) to access the under seat storage?

I cut the brackets on the driver side of the back seat, but After seeing how the seat back gets closer to the cab wall when the seat bottom is lifted, I decided not to bother with the passenger side. Only thing I keep back there is a 4’ level, but it is thin enough that it doesn’t interfere with the normal operation of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With the rifle hanging there, can you still raise the seat bottom(on either side) to access the under seat storage?

I cut the brackets on the driver side of the back seat, but After seeing how the seat back gets closer to the cab wall when the seat bottom is lifted, I decided not to bother with the passenger side. Only thing I keep back there is a 4’ level, but it is thin enough that it doesn’t interfere with the normal operation of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I do it all the time. If I lost access to the underseat storage I'd be upset but no, it works perfect. That rifle stays in there 99% of the time.

OP
OP
R

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 158809

View attachment 158810

That's faster then a New York reload.

Thanks for the inspiration too. I always feel better away from home with my rifle close by. Sign of the times.

Last edited: