Rear seat rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone here rebuilt the back seat seatback to "fix" the ever popular rear seat hacksaw job? I just want factory seats back in a used rig I just bought.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Don't know of anyone who has a "rear seat hacksaw job" that wanted to r/r the hooks back to factory.

Why would you want to do that?

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People want to be able to lay the rear seat down from the seatback for "more storage options". There are turorials all over the place that I have found since getting my truck. But this one seems to be the best fit as to the question of why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHWA4-1tIo

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
People want to be able to lay the rear seat down from the seatback for "more storage options". There are turorials all over the place that I have found since getting my truck. But this one seems to be the best fit as to the question of why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHWA4-1tIo
You've confused me. That video of raising the seats is just another way to accomplish what the "rear seat hacksaw job" does. I thought you were asking how to change your seats because you wanted "factory seats" (unable to fold the back seat down).

IMO, the"rear seat hacksaw job" is the best method.

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry about that. Nov the job was already done on the rig I just bought and I want to make it factory. The modder didn't do a great job. Plastics are gone, it rattles, and the sear backs jump off their anchor point as you move the seat bottom up or down. I also have no use for this mod and I just want factory spec seats that stay where they're spose to stay. Had I known thus was something to watch out for I'd not have bought the rig.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sorry about that. Nov the job was already done on the rig I just bought and I want to make it factory. The modder didn't do a great job. Plastics are gone, it rattles, and the sear backs jump off their anchor point as you move the seat bottom up or down. I also have no use for this mod and I just want factory spec seats that stay where they're spose to stay. Had I known thus was something to watch out for I'd not have bought the rig.

Wow! They really did botch it, and they cut too much off if the seats don't stay locked in the upright position - unsafe. Here's the part number

Seat Back RETAINER
SeatBack Hook Part Number: 68050636AA

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the part number. I too have been scouring the schematics and the forums. The number you gave me seems to go to the plastic pieces that cover the metal hooks. The hooks themselves are welded to the seat frame insice the foams. While I had mine laid down I undid the cover to check it out against the schemactics. The hook is labeled as number 1. I believe that I'll need both 12 and 13 as well. It looks like it'll be in the neighborhood of $450-500 for parts including taxes and all.

Attachments

• 6dfed57845fc7909edd185db73b28f82.png
    6dfed57845fc7909edd185db73b28f82.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 11

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For that price I would check car-part.com and see if a junkyard close to you would have the whole rear seat. Should be a lot cheaper and a lot less time consuming.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wow, an expensive fix
How can the hook be welded, it is an alloy, not steel? And if it is welded to the frame, why would they give it a part number? Doesn't make sense.
When I search the part number, it comes up described as a hook or retainer on every website and only costs 2.15-5.00. I don't see where it is only the nylon piece.

Not trying to argue or contradict, just sharing what I see. It would be nice if you could just replace them at under 5.00 a piece. Good luck

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ White six four

Hot dog! I've not heard of this wonderland of parts! 60/40 split bench for $150, 30 minutes away from me???? I'm on my way!!!

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, an expensive fix
How can the hook be welded, it is an alloy, not steel? And if it is welded to the frame, why would they give it a part number? Doesn't make sense.
When I search the part number, it comes up described as a hook or retainer on every website and only costs 2.15-5.00. I don't see where it is only the nylon piece.

Not trying to argue or contradict, just sharing what I see. It would be nice if you could just replace them at under 5.00 a piece. Good luck

I'm not sweating you comment at all. I had to physically talk to a parts department guy in person to get it figured out t'day.

OP
OP
lugnutt73

lugnutt73

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this the part that was screwed up ?
That is the broken, or completely missing protective plastic bit covering the metal hooks that anchor the seat back to the back wall of the cab and prevent it from rattling. Numbers 24, Mopar (68050769AA) and 25, Mopar (68050771AA) in the picture. The metal hooks are welded to the seat frame itself. There is a YouTube link on the first page.

Attachments

• 4f279acd5b659be132402d4fb377b428.png
    4f279acd5b659be132402d4fb377b428.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 3

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
That is the broken, or completely missing protective plastic bit covering the metal hooks that anchor the seat back to the back wall of the cab and prevent it from rattling. Numbers 24, Mopar (68050769AA) and 25, Mopar (68050771AA) in the picture. The metal hooks are welded to the seat frame itself. There is a YouTube link on the first page.
WOW that suck they ruined the frame ? Thought you just had to replace the plastic piece, Good luck with the seat swap !