rear shaft seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay.. haven't been here for a while. My daughter surprised me by buying herself a '99 2500 Cummins with a couple hundred thousand miles on it to pull her horse trailer. She thought I'd be upset, bought in June and she just told me last week... lol

She had a couple of friends put a new turbo on and replace the oil pan and rocker cover gasket and amazingly it does not leak oil. She drove it about 120 miles home and its fairly sound.

Here's the issue I want to fix asap. It appears that the trans is leaking at the rear shaft. Not the transfer case, the trans.

Is it possible/common to replace only that seal without tearing a bunch of stuff apart or is it more involved than just dropping the transfer case? Can the seal come out with the trans in the truck? My experience on transmissions is limited to manuals, Muncie M20 and mopar A833s.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado