Rear shock removal on a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys, sorry if this is wrong or the answer is obvious and I just missed it. I picked up a thuren level with fox shocks all around. I went to take a look at the rear shocks after getting the truck up and am just curious if there's a trick to getting the rear shocks off that I'm missing. I pulled the wheel well cover off and can get wrenches on but with limited space I'm having a rough time breaking them loose. If anyone has a vid or tips on how they got theirs off I'd appreciate it. Fronts came off super easy. Thanks.

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It is a pain to get at the 18mm nut securing the top but it can be done. Luckily mine were not so tight and broke free easily. A swivel rachet head wrench would be the best to use. I did not remove my wheel well plastic, I just removed the two lower screws and folded it back to get at the top of the shock.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is a pain to get at the 18mm nut securing the top but it can be done. Luckily mine were not so tight and broke free easily. A swivel rachet head wrench would be the best to use. I did not remove my wheel well plastic, I just removed the two lower screws and folded it back to get at the top of the shock.

I can get my 18mm on but it just turns the whole shock. I can't seem to get the shock steady enough to break the nut free. I soaked in PB, will give it some more turns in a bit.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have not replaced the rears on my 2500 (yet) but most shocks have a allen head at the very top of the shock stud. Not sure if you can get up in there to get an allen wrench in it but it's worth a look?

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have not replaced the rears on my 2500 (yet) but most shocks have a allen head at the very top of the shock stud. Not sure if you can get up in there to get an allen wrench in it but it's worth a look?

My stock ones definitely do not have the hex head. The fox shocks do. The stock ones have a fairly corroded possibly 10mm or square. Couldn't get anything to bite onto it on either side.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe that on the shaft on top that it takes an allen wrench. Metric 5 or 6. Also spray a little WD on the Threads.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Finally got it for anyone that may experience the same problem. A massive pair of vice grips on the stem and ratchet on the 18mm nut finally broke it. This will obviously mar the crap out of the old shock but it's off.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I used a hacksaw (and a few curse words) to cut that top threaded stem. Even with only 15k miles on my truck, the securing nut did not budge. Others have used a sawzall. These OEM shocks were never going to see the undercarriage again, anyways.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I believe that on the shaft on top that it takes an allen wrench. Metric 5 or 6. Also spray a little WD on the Threads.

This! It took me a few minutes (well, a lot of minutes) to figure this out.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had to use a sawsall to cut mine out. They were ridiculously tight and just spun the shaft. Couldn't even get a vice grip to bite. I fought with it for a very long time before resulting to the saw. It took maybe 20 seconds to cut them off though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had to use a sawsall to cut mine out. They were ridiculously tight and just spun the shaft. Couldn't even get a vice grip to bite. I fought with it for a very long time before resulting to the saw. It took maybe 20 seconds to cut them off though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I was about to grab my angle grinder and cut the ******** off when I decided to give the vice grips one last try. I'm amazed at how poor the location/design is on them but at least they're out. Hope to be able to finish the track bar and give it a test ride today.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was going to suggest vice grips but you figured it out. Had to do that on one of my old trucks before. Wish they would come up with a better way to hold that shaft from spinning. The threads always rust up and if the shock is hard to get to it becomes a real pain to get out.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i just had to cut a set 5100s out of the front of my truck with an angle grinder, 35,000 miles and the threads were so rusted i ended up stripping out the 6mm allen in the top after soaking with PB Blaster.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i just had to cut a set 5100s out of the front of my truck with an angle grinder, 35,000 miles and the threads were so rusted i ended up stripping out the 6mm allen in the top after soaking with PB Blaster.

I just hit 31k miles on mine and they were rusted to hell, I was able to get the front off easily enough but the rear were such a pain. I definitely had an easier time getting the whole front level done vs just the shocks in the rear. Loving the ride with the new coils, though.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't replaced my rears shocks yet, but have some 5100's on order and will be doing this shortly. I'm thinking a nut splitter should help make this easier.

For those that have replaced the rear shocks, did you need to remove the wheel well liner for access, or just come in from the interior side of the frame?

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was able to get to the nut without removing the liner. The driver side i accessed it from the inside under neath the truck. Spray down the nut a few times prior to removing. 6mm allen for the shaft.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had to remove my liners. Not difficult but a little origami was in order to get them back in. I had to hacksaw the top threaded shaft as the securing bits stripped out on both sides. The 5100s will be easier to remove when the time comes for replacement.

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I haven't replaced my rears shocks yet, but have some 5100's on order and will be doing this shortly. I'm thinking a nut splitter should help make this easier.

For those that have replaced the rear shocks, did you need to remove the wheel well liner for access, or just come in from the interior side of the frame?

Simple process and only took me about 1 1/2 hrs. Check out my how to video on how I replaced mine on my 18’. I did take off the wheel well covers btw.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I never imagined having to saw out shocks lol I know they can be a pain though

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I replaced mine on a 2018. Remove the screws from the front half of the wheel well covers, which will give them enough freedom to move out of your way and allow total access to the upper shock nut without having to remove the entire cover. If the top nut won't budge, fire pliers or a bi-metal sawzall blade make quick work of it. E-brake cable on driver side impedes lower bolt removal and install...Just give it a nudge and it'll go.