Rear shocks for 6112/Westin Outlaw Bumper

Discussion in 'Lifted' started by Kyle McWilliams, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Kyle McWilliams

Kyle McWilliams Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport, quad cab with prerunner style light steel front bumper.

Im going to pick up the Bilstien 6112s for the front, and likely eibach pro lift coils for the rear.

Should i stick with Bilstien 5100 for the rear? I was looking at the Rancho RS9000XL which are a larger body shock, which i think would compliment the large body 6112s.

Thoughts?

2. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Bistein 5160’s or if you want better performance then get the Icons 2.0 with or without res, they have diggresive valving and should match the 6112s well.
    Ranchos are not performance shocks and won’t match the performance of the 6112 struts. They’re more street oriented like the 5100 series from Bilstein except you can dial the firmness and go soft or softer than stock or firmer for a sportier ride or to accommodate more weight.

With the Icon shocks I’d also recommend the Icon 1.5 springs as the eibach springs might be a little to short for the longer Icon shocks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    bruiserRAM likes this.
  3. Kyle McWilliams

Kyle McWilliams Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi

From what i understand, the 5160s are identical in performance to the 5100. The difference is more oil available in the 5160 from the resiviour (which would only be useful for guys who are really heating up their shocks with long offroad treks), and the 5160 has a 90 day warranty vs the lifetime on 5100.

Another note, from my research it seems like the eibach coils (claimed 1" lift) are giving guys 1.5", and the icon coils (claimed 1.5") are giving guys 1".

4. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    I'm running 6112s, the 5100s match well for daily use but definitely suffer if you decide to push it offroad at all. 5100s just can't keep up in choppy washboard terrain. I don't mind since most my offroad is run in 4lo and slow but I will be looking to jump to a better shock down the road. I'd say look at icons 2.0 at a minimum as they seem to handle some speed and like ram1500rsm said, should match well being digressive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

5. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    The Icon coils can be noisy

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/icon-springs-are-noisy.135762/

6. Kyle McWilliams

Kyle McWilliams Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Got my order in today. I went with the 6112s up front and Icon 2.0s out back. I'm gambling that the icons will handle some chop and washboard a little better than 5100s or 5160s. I would have loved some icons with resi but i couldn't justify that big step in price. The icon 2.0 non-resi are the same price as 5160s.

4 Wheel Parts had a 1 day sale today so i got 100 bucks off the whole order. Its about 1300 for 6112/Icon 2.0s up here in canada, so that little sale took a bit of the edge off.

They dont carry Eibach, so ill be grabbing a pair of those somewhere else for 200 bucks.

bruiserRAM and MidwestExpress like this.
  7. smoothee

smoothee Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Were the 6112's in stock?

I was thinking of going that same route, but have been waiting for the 6112's since September...

bruiserRAM likes this.
  8. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Should be a nice setup. I thing the 5100s would do better if they were bigger bodies. They are only 46mm which is tiny and there's not alot of fluid to move. The 6112s are butter compared to 5100s. Tho for my 90% DD duties and low speed crawling around most of the time it's not worth the minimal gains I'll get.

Fyi bilstein has coils available as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

9. Kyle McWilliams

Kyle McWilliams Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I'm in Canada, so im not sure if that makes a difference. 4WP told me "they are about 2 weeks out"

10. Kyle McWilliams

Kyle McWilliams Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I think I read your build, which convinced me on the 6112s. I want the 10% rate increase on the eibach pro trucks, and from what ive read guys are getting a good 1.5" out back from them, which is why i chose those. I imagine the bils coils are probably made by eibach anyways. It sounds like the bils coils are a bit too soft for what i want too.

I drive mostly highway myself, and it is a DD. However, i work in the dirty ol' oil patch in Northern Canada and travel a lot of off road beat to hell, wash boardy, massive potholes, 2 feet of snow in the winter, 2 feet of mud in the summer lease roads. In extreme cases im on those roads for 100km into location. 100% of guys who work out here drive trucks and at least 50% of them are lifted. Ive ripped my front sport bumper off 3+ times, drilled holes and ziptie stiched it back together JDM drift car style.

I didnt want a lift, especially where you lose an inch of clearance with the diff drop. I couldn't bring myself to drop 1800 on icon coilovers.

Hopefully the 6112 up front and the icon 2.0s out back perform at least half as good as Falcon claims their super pricey shock kit to run. I liked the look of those too but the price is a little nutty to me.

I wish Bilstien had a 6112 large body rear shock to match the fronts. Or offer a rear kit that packages in their new rear coil with a large body shock, and some kind of add-a-leaf for our other truck brand pals.