Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Damn, i thought mine stuck out kinda far. Thats obnoxious. It still checks all the boxes for functionality for you though.

Clearance... check
Recovery points... check
Winch mount... check
Looks cool... er, we dont talk about that.
Right, like why must we have a dining area attached to the front of the rig. Suck that thing back so the tube is flush with the front edge of the upper bumper piece and it would actually look alright. I can physically sit and probably do yoga between my bumper and radiator, there's room to stuff the winch in there.....ughhh.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, like why must we have a dining area attached to the front of the rig. Suck that thing back so the tube is flush with the front edge of the upper bumper piece and it would actually look alright. I can physically sit and probably do yoga between my bumper and radiator, there's room to stuff the winch in there.....ughhh.

Tailgating, on the front bumper.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Tailgating, on the front bumper.
I mean it does check all the boxes.....you Canadians do weird **** like that eh? Tailgating on the front.

Did you get your order confirmations yet???

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mean it does check all the boxes.....you Canadians do weird **** like that eh? Tailgating on the front.

Did you get your order confirmations yet???

My eibach pro lift springs shipped out yesterday and those will be at the house tomorrow.

My light bars, the aliexpress person told me in very broken english that they were out of stock but should be shipped soon.

The shocks and struts i had to make the order over the phone in order to get the march madness deals, so i never did get any receipt or anything. Usually they just call you when it shows up and you go pick your stuff up at 4wheelparts. Free shipping that way.

I havent ordered my wheels and tires yet. I kinda want to see it with 33s before i make the jump to 35s. Im also undecided on if ill get 17x9 -12 offset or 17x9 0 offset. I looked through a bunch of photos on customoffsets. A 0 offset would put me at just under an inch of poke PAST my flares. At -12 i think it would put me well past the flares and probably need flaps or deal with the spray.

Been dragging my feet ordering my UCAs too. Sticker shock setting in seeing all these bills come in at once haha.

Looking at that body armor bumper it looks like no skid plate either? So you'll have to fab a mounting system and one of those too. Stuck fabbing something either way.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@hodge-xj I dug some more for you. Look at the Mebar bumper. It might cost you a limb, i think they ship from Australia. It has recovery points.

Also look at the road armor sahara. I think they only have them for the rebels, and if thats the case you would just need to buy a rebel grille and the little under-headlight bits. I loved that one when i was looking at bumpers but i didn't want to pay for the bumper and the parts to make it fit. It has winch and recovery parts and looks dope. Still don't a full length skid plate like the westin.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
But the sticker shock is so worth it!

0 offset should keep you flush with fenders and no flares, -12 would put you just about flush with oem flares if not a tiny bit past. I'm not a wheel specs pro by any means but I was dealing with that dilemma before I said eff it and got 1.5 spacers. They barely poke in the rear and would sit just past flush with oem flares. I'm on 285s.

I know flaps are ugly, but I really suggest them. Especially with the crap you see running out to the drill rigs. I spent all day Sunday in some of the sloppiest conditions I've seen in a long time, as well as my job site is a constant mud hole. Everyone always has chunks hanging under their rigs, and it packs into all the nooks and creases under the truck. I run the ugly Rokblokz flaps and they keep the buildup to a minimum. I don't like mud from 2 years ago falling in my eyes when I'm doin ****. Plus I drug them over rocks and ice all day and they are fine. Ugly still, but fine. Not so much for exterior paint protection as my wheels pole now, but my underside hasn't been washed and it's still clean.

Skid plates, yeaaaaa, I gotta fab my own, that's easy tho, a few holes and bends. It's the bending and notching and measuring and thinking with bumpers I don't wanna do after running a gang of chuckle heads all week. 17d783afbe1bce74fbc7e20f37461062.jpg2e517df41d0c20177ee9f4ac08116e12.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@hodge-xj I dug some more for you. Look at the Mebar bumper. It might cost you a limb, i think they ship from Australia. It has recovery points.

Also look at the road armor sahara. I think they only have them for the rebels, and if thats the case you would just need to buy a rebel grille and the little under-headlight bits. I loved that one when i was looking at bumpers but i didn't want to pay for the bumper and the parts to make it fit. It has winch and recovery parts and looks dope. Still don't a full length skid plate like the westin.
Thanks!! I'll check them out!

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But the sticker shock is so worth it!

0 offset should keep you flush with fenders and no flares, -12 would put you just about flush with oem flares if not a tiny bit past. I'm not a wheel specs pro by any means but I was dealing with that dilemma before I said eff it and got 1.5 spacers. They barely poke in the rear and would sit just past flush with oem flares. I'm on 285s.

I know flaps are ugly, but I really suggest them. Especially with the crap you see running out to the drill rigs. I spent all day Sunday in some of the sloppiest conditions I've seen in a long time, as well as my job site is a constant mud hole. Everyone always has chunks hanging under their rigs, and it packs into all the nooks and creases under the truck. I run the ugly Rokblokz flaps and they keep the buildup to a minimum. I don't like mud from 2 years ago falling in my eyes when I'm doin ****. Plus I drug them over rocks and ice all day and they are fine. Ugly still, but fine. Not so much for exterior paint protection as my wheels pole now, but my underside hasn't been washed and it's still clean.

Skid plates, yeaaaaa, I gotta fab my own, that's easy tho, a few holes and bends. It's the bending and notching and measuring and thinking with bumpers I don't wanna do after running a gang of chuckle heads all week. 17d783afbe1bce74fbc7e20f37461062.jpg2e517df41d0c20177ee9f4ac08116e12.jpg

I'd be running 35x12.5s on them. I'm not sure what your tire width is but you are at -19 if you've got OEM 20" wheels with 1.5" spacers. Factory tire size is 11" wide, so if you went to a 12.5 wide you would add another 3/4" poke - or more if you got really aggressive sidewalls.

Edit: you did give me widths duh. Youre 11 wide going to a 12.5. Youre going yo have a gnarly poke on that thing haha

Its cool you got spacers. I was dead set on an "OEM+" look and i was gonna get 1.5" spacers, but i changed my mind and want to size down on wheels.

This is from another thread here. The diameter doesnt affect anything so just imagine its 17. My flares offer about 7/8" extra coverage i think. Maybe 1".

I think i could get away with 0 offset and no flaps, or the husky long johns if i went -12. Ill likely get some big ****-off mud boots, so with chunky sidewall I'm worried ill have like 2" of poke at -12.
Screenshot_20190312-102700_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea I'm on factory 17x7 +24mm I believe. So I'm around that-12 area. I have oem style flares I removed until I can get something behind them to protect the paint from being worn to nothing.

Big ol **** off mud boots eh....lmfaoo that's a new one. Yea, the flaps are ugly as sin but worth their weight in gold.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered my Zone UCAs today finally. 700CAD yikes.

Im thinking i should put some boots on the icon shocks, i should have ordered the icon boots to go with those. Ill probably get some universals though, so i can get them in blue and halfass match the bils in front. @ram1500rsm any idea the actual shock body diameter on the icon 2.0? Is it actually 2" or? I see BDS offers universal boots in 1-5/8th or 2-3/8th. Presumably the former is to stretch over a 2 inch body and the latter for stretching over a 2.5" body.

@hodge-xj I'm lookin at that body armor bumper and the tow hook location and maybe they got some snazzy stuff going on in there... but the location of those hooks im willing to bet theyre only mounted to the bumper mounts and not braced anywhere else... theres nowhere else they could be braced. Stock hooks mount to the bumper mounts and the frame extensions. I'd be worried about pulling on those things from anywhere else but directly in front, and i wouldnt man handle them. Just speculation, but with them so far forward like that, thats a lot of leverage against your individual bumper mounts/frame.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Im thinking i should put some boots on the icon shocks, i should have ordered the icon boots to go with those. Ill probably get some universals though, so i can get them in blue and halfass match the bils in front. @ram1500rsm any idea the actual shock body diameter on the icon 2.0? Is it actually 2" or? I see BDS offers universal boots in 1-5/8th or 2-3/8th. Presumably the former is to stretch over a 2 inch body and the latter for stretching over a 2.5" body.

@hodge-xj I'm lookin at that body armor bumper and the tow hook location and maybe they got some snazzy stuff going on in there... but the location of those hooks im willing to bet theyre only mounted to the bumper mounts and not braced anywhere else... theres nowhere else they could be braced. Stock hooks mount to the bumper mounts and the frame extensions. I'd be worried about pulling on those things from anywhere else but directly in front, and i wouldnt man handle them. Just speculation, but with them so far forward like that, thats a lot of leverage against your individual bumper mounts/frame.
Those universal that fit 2.0 body size will fit like socks. You could also go to your local 4wp and check, they should have universal boots available and Icon 2.0 shocks as well in case they dont know so they can check for you, but i'm sure they'll know what fits.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

I totally see what you're saying and agree. That's something I'd address in due time, that would be one of the things that is a nit pick as I wouldn't rely be using it heavily and is ensure to not do any misaligned pulls. That being said I've also not seen any of the winch bumpers that are available tie into that lower tow hook mount. As far as I can tell anyway. So no matter what I sort of planned on needing to add to one of my choices. I still don't like how far out it sticks but I have to see it in person as well. I just jumped into a page on Facebook called full size overlanders. Hate to say it but that's the direction my build is going (overlandish)so I was looking for some fresh photographic inspiration and I've come across a few bumpers that I've never seen before. Waiting for some reply hopefully, so Facebook is good for something. Eventually my truck will be my towverland rig, daily driver for light exploration and camping duties and towing my wheeling toy around.

I really don't want to get into heavy fabrication right now, so the plug and play with the least amount of mods works for me. Hell just remounting my flares with the 3m tape had me aggravated, tho I wanted them to sit perfectly snug and they weren't a perfect fit so it took some work.

Tuesday my 315s are getting mounted and a much needed alignment so we'll see what I want next. Rocker protection or bumper.....

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Here's one of them.
Edit that's a 2500....see what happens when I'm up looking at **** at 0530 on my days off
10921f4fb35d524d62c0e6ea4063c6cd.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's one of them.
Edit that's a 2500....see what happens when I'm up looking at **** at 0530 on my days off
10921f4fb35d524d62c0e6ea4063c6cd.jpg

Now see you could run that you just gotta replace the hood, grill, add the under headlight trim, and make a couple litttttttle cuts and welds to your frame haha.

I like that bumper a lot, it would be even better without the big ol moose bar i think. Just a little prerunner bar instead.

Im gonna be following your build closely, cause full size towverland is right where i wanna go with mine as well.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Now see you could run that you just gotta replace the hood, grill, add the under headlight trim, and make a couple litttttttle cuts and welds to your frame haha.

I like that bumper a lot, it would be even better without the big ol moose bar i think. Just a little prerunner bar instead.

Im gonna be following your build closely, cause full size towverland is right where i wanna go with mine as well.
Yea, right, just a fewwwwww small mods. Nice thing is, they bolt up, albeit with an empty wallet lol.

I'm trying to not overbuild this truck. I turned my 06 Cummins into a purpose built idiot rig and it ended up being a bear to drive all the time. These trucks are so nice to drive distances I don't want to take away from that. Not that it isn't capable, but I'm not keen on shoe horning this fat pig on jeep trails. I'll build a dedicated small rig for that, most likely a Colorado or something that nobody wants with a 4cyl. Easy to tow.

I have a member on the ecodiesel forum who just installed the Body Armor sending me some pics, I'm thinking it will fit my needs well, and I'll just bedliner my rear after I mount some flush lights for now. After that I'll be looking at nfab rkr rails. .120 wall tube slider wannabes. They'll be there just to take abuse from everything kicked up instead of my rockers, if I needed sliders I'd get White Knuckles. But these will still handle an impromptu smack or 2 just in case. Other than that storage for spares and light recovery, lighting and aesthetics. Eventually I want to do a trip around the country and into Canada before my girl and I buy a forever home and have kids, and we'd like to drive it, so I'll be doing a trailer to keep the weight out of the truck.

It's easy to get ridiculous with unnecessary mods, so that's why I try to curb my wants with parts that fit my needs. Spacers, a good enough bumper for cheap, used tires, basic control arms etc. I could get spendy, but my end results will be the same as budget building, 99% road travel constitutes a solid reliable platform, not a high maintenance *****.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+ 3 :)
That bumper is awesome Hodge, wish the aftermerket will look more into this for the 1500's. There seems to be more overland support for the 2500's. I was emailing this dude that makes belly skids for the 2500's among many other stuff they fabricate, dethloffmfg.com, to see if there was a chance he could make them for the 1500's, if i was living closer to his shop we could do something about it..., excellent person to deal with even though he didn't have anything for my truck, he answered every question i had with suggestions and everything even though he doesn't even make anything for the 1500's. Wish there were more vendor like Marcus there..

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
+ 3 :)
That bumper is awesome Hodge, wish the aftermerket will look more into this for the 1500's. There seems to be more overland support for the 2500's. I was emailing this dude that makes belly skids for the 2500's among many other stuff they fabricate, dethloffmfg.com, to see if there was a chance he could make them for the 1500's, if i was living closer to his shop we could do something about it..., excellent person to deal with even though he didn't have anything for my truck, he answered every question i had with suggestions and everything even though he doesn't even make anything for the 1500's. Wish there were more vendor like Marcus there..
Funny I looked there as well! My buddy Aaron is actually the black rebel he used on his page for the 1500 racks, was on the trail ride with him last week and dethloff products are amazing.

Interested to hear what suggestions he shot ya! As for aftermarket, we're the step children, mopar has jeeps and 2500s saturating the market, ford has the raptor, and Toyota has all their offerings so obviously business follows money, most 1500 owners are happy with a spacer, -44 wheels and a muffler delete so that's our market. We represent such a small percent it's not worth it. Which is why I'm willing to compromise and modify if I find something close to what I want.

It's a shame as this truck rocks out offroad, but I like the different factor of what we run. I can throw darts at a quadratec mag and spec out a sweet rig with whatever parts it hits, we have to get creative with our builds and I'm ok with that. I genuinely wish I had a shop suited to fabbing better as I'd run parts for the forum, but it's just not feasable. Best I can do is flood the timeline with my ramblings and motivate peeps to get creative!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I looked there as well! My buddy Aaron is actually the black rebel he used on his page for the 1500 racks, was on the trail ride with him last week and dethloff products are amazing.

Interested to hear what suggestions he shot ya! As for aftermarket, we're the step children, mopar has jeeps and 2500s saturating the market, ford has the raptor, and Toyota has all their offerings so obviously business follows money, most 1500 owners are happy with a spacer, -44 wheels and a muffler delete so that's our market. We represent such a small percent it's not worth it. Which is why I'm willing to compromise and modify if I find something close to what I want.

It's a shame as this truck rocks out offroad, but I like the different factor of what we run. I can throw darts at a quadratec mag and spec out a sweet rig with whatever parts it hits, we have to get creative with our builds and I'm ok with that. I genuinely wish I had a shop suited to fabbing better as I'd run parts for the forum, but it's just not feasable. Best I can do is flood the timeline with my ramblings and motivate peeps to get creative!

If anybody is in Oregon close to Dethloff, he's willing to cut a deal to whoever the ginea pig is for HD belly skids in a RAM 1500 :)

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anybody is in Oregon close to Dethloff, he's willing to cut a deal to whoever the ginea pig is for HD belly skids in a RAM 1500 :)

Damn, I'm like 16 hours and a boarder away. I was looking at getting a fully custom built bumper before going with the westin, as the oil patch is SATURATED with pro welders. No one was really too keen though and unfortunately I've never really made friends with any of them. I definitely wouldnt trust my own welds for anything being yanked on and i just haven't got the tools for that.

I'm interested to see more of that body armor if/when you get it @hodge-xj and some close up information on it kinda like what i know about the westin now.

As for small trucks, have any of you been following the Jeep Gladiator? I have no interest in the pentastar its being released with, but they are going to put that 3.0L ecodiesel in it for 2021. All i can think of is a 400ftlb (500ish with delete?) midsize rig with factory e-swaybar disconnect, front AND back e-lockers and the capability to basically drop in 37s. Ill be running this ram for another 100,000km but i think that monster will be the next one.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Damn, I'm like 16 hours and a boarder away. I was looking at getting a fully custom built bumper before going with the westin, as the oil patch is SATURATED with pro welders. No one was really too keen though and unfortunately I've never really made friends with any of them. I definitely wouldnt trust my own welds for anything being yanked on and i just haven't got the tools for that.

I'm interested to see more of that body armor if/when you get it @hodge-xj and some close up information on it kinda like what i know about the westin now.

As for small trucks, have any of you been following the Jeep Gladiator? I have no interest in the pentastar its being released with, but they are going to put that 3.0L ecodiesel in it for 2021. All i can think of is a 400ftlb (500ish with delete?) midsize rig with factory e-swaybar disconnect, front AND back e-lockers and the capability to basically drop in 37s. Ill be running this ram for another 100,000km but i think that monster will be the next one.
It's the typical story of a mechanic never works on his own car. I'm an AWS certified welder and want nothing to do with welding after work. Plus bumpers are alot of thinking and fabbing and honestly a headache on anything but a flat front vehicle like old 80s trucks.

I'll be sure to critique this inside and out. Even the ADD winch prerunner bumper doesn't tie in to the hook mounts so well see how many corners were actually cut. For me it will work, mild protection and capability at a screaming price point. Same as the NFab slider things enough durability and function built it I'll give em a try.

I'll tell you what, I have the ecodiesel and I love this little motor. It's great on fuel and has plenty of oomph to move the truck, especially paired with the 8spd. Nothing impressive, but it moves just fine for me. Tuesday ill find out if 315s degrade that. We'll see about longevity but I'm not concerned as I'll be deleting and tuning it this summer. This power plant dropped into the new jeep will be a stellar combination. The only down side is the price for these stupid jeeps is so outrageous I'll feasibly not own one for a very long time. It's alright tho, this truck does a stand up job and everything thus far so it's more of a status than anything to own a jeep anymore.