Rear susp wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chasing a ghost of a wobble, Just replaced the rear shocks, and put the stock control arms back on to rebuild the Spohn arms I have had on there for 5 or so years...
Now at about 60+ mph I get a wiggle in the rear that was never there with the original arms in before. also noticed that the back bobs up and down extremely easy with the push of a thumb on the tailgate you can get the back to move up and down about 3/4" or more with relatively no pressure at all.
Everything is tight front and rear, nothing looks out of place or excessively worn... only thing can think of is the modified Belltech coils are toast and cant hold the weight properly anymore.. Thoughts?

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of shocks did you go with? I l live in Remlap, have a set of kybs if you're interested. Also got a set of mcgaughys 44055 if want to cut em down

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of shocks did you go with? I l live in Remlap, have a set of kybs if you're interested. Also got a set of mcgaughys 44055 if want to cut em down
I have the junk belltech street performance shocks supposedly for the drop that is on it.
I'm about to revamp the whole suspension with a modified Inez kit using a double adjustable Viking shock more tuned for auto-x and road racing, but as per usual life happens and have to get the jeep back on the road first... hopefully the jeep isn't in need of a new motor, and I can still get to the planned/designed suspension I have been talking about for a long long time.
just need to get rid of the wiggle until the jeep goes back to daily service

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got front and rear kyb gas ajusts that work with a 2/4 belltech drop. If you want em you're welcome to them. My truck is a 2wd reg cab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My upper shock mounts began to come loose recently and has made the ride a little weird. I doubt that would cause your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check all the nuts and bolts in the rear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry- I should have finished reading your post before I replied lol. That is almost exactly what my truck was doing. Stick your head under your truck and wiggle your truck up and down and see if there is movement anywhere. My shocks seemed tight, but they weren't tight enough.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry- I should have finished reading your post before I replied lol. That is almost exactly what my truck was doing. Stick your head under your truck and wiggle your truck up and down and see if there is movement anywhere. My shocks seemed tight, but they weren't tight enough.

I'll double check them, I didn't look super close at the shocks, just grabbed and shook and felt no movement, but I also had some weight on the axle. truck was on stands and had a jack under the axle halfway in the suspension travel.

The even odder thing is I put #240lbs of concrete in the back over the axle, 3 bags, 1 centered and the other two next to the wheel tub... seems to have gotten rid of 90% of the wobble, but still shows up, but not until 90mph-ish.

I will check the shocks. I just really need to get this thing apart and do the coilover swap....