Rear Tail Light LED wiring conversion (from 4 wires to 3?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrostySubxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Express that I replaced the rear tail lights on a while ago, but during the switch from the OEM non-LED version tail lights to the new LED tail lights I ran into an issue with the plugs for the LEDs. The original Lamps are 3157(k) male ends and I figured the new ones would be as well, but not quite. They were basically a similar but not a well fitting version of them. So basically once a month or sometimes I would get lucky and only have to take the tailights off to replug them in once every 3 months because the LED connectors would jiggle themselves loose from regular driving. I tried to buy new, aftermarket, lamp sockets for them to fit into hoping maybe they would be tighter or something and hold them better, but the same issue occured. So I ordered new wiring adapters off Amazon, but in my haste I didn't notice that they only have 3 wires (Red, Black, Blue) instead of the 4 wires like in the LED wiring (Red, Black, Blue, White). My question is if I could just combine the White with the Black and call it a day or would that end up disabling a feature or causing an issue down the road?

Link to the adapters:

Link to my LED Tail lights:

I tried searching for 3157 male adapters, but the same ones (different brands) came up. Even if I had to return these to Amazon and someone found me 4 wire adapters that would be great. I just can't understand why I can't find the same or similar plugs. If the plug ever broke on these tail lights I would have to end up buying new ones as I can't even source the OEM plugs that came on these tail lights.

Attachments

• IMG_0113[1].JPG
    IMG_0113[1].JPG
    101 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0114[1].JPG
    IMG_0114[1].JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 10

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member