Rear Tail light Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emcshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have a 2014 1500 Sport that has LED tail lights. I occasionally get the message that my tail light is out and the turn signal flashes fast. This doesnt happen all the time, only occasionally. While testing I did notice that maybe not all the smaller nodes where lighting up. Is this common?

When this first happened I took apart the tail light thinking I need to replace a bulb but then realized these are LED and I cant just replace the bulb. Instead, I have to buy a whole new light for over $200. WTF? Is there a way to replace the LED lights with non-LED lights so it may be cheaper to fix this problem now and in the future.

Thanks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Non LED lights will bolt in perfectly. But I think you'll have an issue with the wiring. I've seen wire harness adapters to go from regular bulbs to LED, but not vice versa. This forum is actually for 5th gens. Since you have a 4th gen, I suggest you post this question on the 4th gen forum.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 1500 Sport that has LED tail lights. I occasionally get the message that my tail light is out and the turn signal flashes fast. This doesnt happen all the time, only occasionally. While testing I did notice that maybe not all the smaller nodes where lighting up. Is this common?

When this first happened I took apart the tail light thinking I need to replace a bulb but then realized these are LED and I cant just replace the bulb. Instead, I have to buy a whole new light for over $200. WTF? Is there a way to replace the LED lights with non-LED lights so it may be cheaper to fix this problem now and in the future.

Thanks.

On my 2014 Ram Outdoorsman Crewcab 4x4, without LED taillights, when I would get that message - one of the center, high-mounted brake light bulbs were burned out.

Replacing the bab bulb eliminated the message. There are two brake light bulbs in the assembly.

I also replaced the center, high-mounted brake light lamp assembly as it was leaking, and causing the brake light bulbs to burn out. The latest lamp assembly eliminated the leak and the bulbs have not been burning out.