Rear tires wearing quickly!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
18 Ram 2500 Mega, 4x4, air suspension, CTD. No lifts/levels, stock wheels, stock sized tires, stock suspension. Trust me when I say I drive this truck easy. I bought this truck this spring as a certified pre-owned truck with 14.5k miles. They had put new tires on it all the way around. I have 7K miles on it now. Most of the miles are hauling a trailer, but not heavy. Bumper pull cargo trailers from 5K to 7K pounds with a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch.

I was washing it yesterday and noticed the rear tires have a LOT more wear than the front tires. Front's still look new, rears look like the are 2/3 gone. Kind of freaked me out a little. For sure going to the dealer for a check, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has seen this kind of accelerated wear on the rear axle.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The ctd is heavy and lots of torque. My last one went through rears fast as well. I rotated more frequently to get more miles out of them. Even with a light foot with wet roads or gravel you'll spin them even being gentle.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Edit I'm a idiot thoughtit said 1500 not 2500 lol

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The ctd is heavy and lots of torque. My last one went through rears fast as well. I rotated more frequently to get more miles out of them. Even with a light foot with wet roads or gravel you'll spin them even being gentle.
Thanks, but most of the weight of the cummins is on the front axle, not the rear. And I have never rolled the tires, gravel, wet roads or anywhere else. Hard to buy that it's normal to go through tires in 10K miles.

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, but most of the weight of the cummis is on the front axle, not the rear. And I have never rolled the tires, gravel, wet roads or anywhere else. Hard to buy that it's normal to go through tires in 10K miles.
Did the put properly rated tires on it? If they put let's say tires for a 1500 on it they would support the weight of the truck but would be strained with the truck and a 7k trailer. Idk just a thought

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gotta rotate, my stock back tires are worn to nub and my fronts look like new. Which means I do not practice what I preach, but that was the plan anyhow. When I get new skins and rims, I will have 2 solid spares.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks, but most of the weight of the cummis is on the front axle, not the rear. And I have never rolled the tires, gravel, wet roads or anywhere else. Hard to buy that it's normal to go through tires in 10K miles.
Depends on the tires. I've had ko2s bald in 40k kms through multipe sets Toyo ats lasted me about 70k through multiple sets and the oe ones lasted seemingly forever, but had no traction because they were such a hard compound. I also ran a lot of gravel though. Dry pavement driving that is unusually high. Curious when they put the new tires on. Might have already had 20% wear on them, which isn't too noticeable and then another 10k became noticeable.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Entirely normal for diesel. The heavy nose means less traction at the rear proportionately, this there’s a lot of minute slippage in the drive tires. You won’t feel it or hear it like deliberately spinning the tires, but it’s nibbling at the rears all the time.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, they are E rated tires, max 80psi. Same date stamp on all the tires, 3419.

No kids at home, I have been in the truck for every mile since we've owned it. Well, except for the dealer visits.

I do rotate my tires, normally at each oil change. But being the manf oil change interval is 15K, I'm going to have to do it more often. Still, 7K on brand new tires should not have them 2/3 worn out, rotation or not.

I've had a fair number of 3/4ton 4x4's over the years, including Ford and GM diesels. I've never seen anything approaching this. I'll roll it out of the RV building and take some pictures.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Entirely normal for diesel. The heavy nose means less traction at the rear proportionately, this there’s a lot of minute slippage in the drive tires. You won’t feel it or hear it like deliberately spinning the tires, but it’s nibbling at the rears all the time.
Sorry, just not buying that. As I said, I've had other diesel 3/4 tons and have never seen anything like this. I almost always have a trailer on there applying 700-800 pounds of hitch weight, so the tires are not wanting for traction.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pictures:
Front:
FrontTire1.jpg
FrontTire2.jpg

Rear:
RearTire1.jpg
RearTire2.jpg

Tire spec/size:
TireSize.jpg

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Curious when they put the new tires on. Might have already had 20% wear on them, which isn't too noticeable and then another 10k became noticeable.
Sorry, missed this post. They were brand new when I got the truck. Still had the whiskers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pictures:
Front:
FrontTire1.jpg
FrontTire2.jpg

Rear:
RearTire1.jpg
RearTire2.jpg

Tire spec/size:
TireSize.jpg

my rears wear in the same spot, only worse, but then again I have under 30k miles on them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd think is because the crazy high PSI you have to run in the 2500's, is it something like 80psi unloaded ? the rear tires are wearing down in the center a lot faster per those pictures. Lower the rear PSI and you'll have a better contact patch and less wear. (assuming you're not towing heavy you should be abe to lower your PSI)

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
my rears wear in the same spot, only worse, but then again I have under 30k miles on them.
Exactly. I'd be happy with 30K. The dealer did not put on high quality tires, but I figured new was new and they'd last 30-40K and I'd replace them with some good ones. I will probably only drive this truck 7K miles a year, so new tires were suppose to be several years out.

The tires are Westlake SL369's. They get good reviews on Amazon, FWIW.

Last edited:

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd think is because the crazy high PSI you have to run in the 2500's, is it something like 80psi unloaded ? the rear tires are wearing down in the center a lot faster per those pictures. Lower the rear PSI and you'll have a better contact patch and less wear. (assuming you're not towing heavy you should be abe to lower your PSI)
This^^^...... pressures to high. Your wearing the center tread away. Try lowering it by 5psi and keep track of the wear pattern. If there's no change, lower it another 5psi and keep track of the wear pattern until it's even all the way across.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Running them right at 80psi. I check them before every trip. Same pressure I've run for 30 years in my 3/4tons. I think the tread is just deeper on the outside, making it seem like they are crowning.