Rear view mirror cup mount trim removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Does anyone know how to remove the trim behind the rear view mirror? my truck has the auto high beams and rain sensing wipers so there is the large cup behind the mirror. i want to remove the trim so that i can cut a small notch in the plastic and run my radar detector wire inside the trim and up into the headliner. i know that if i damage the sensor for the smart beam system, i need to replace the whole mirror, and if i damage the bracket that holds the sensors to the windshield i need to replace the entire windshield. safe to say i want to know how to do it correctly before i just go and start ripping things off the truck!

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dude you are the man, that’s exactly what I needed! That piece he took off showed me exactly where the tabs are. I’m going to trim a small tab in between the two pieces of plastic to run my cable between. I hate being able to see wires, it’s lazy!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Install looks good

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
I used this video for my 2018 1500. It is the same mirror.

Lol
Showed near everything I wanted EXCEPT how to get that plastic cup part off !! I got the upper goose neck off but the bottom piece is still hiding the wire connector ??

Or does the entire mirror assume come off then you can get to wires??

A2BE9426-68EC-4443-A17B-F34EEB4507B9.jpeg

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are just a few clips. Use a plastic pry tool inbetween the two pieces. You will see a groove. Look at the video again around the 32 second on to see.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
There are just a few clips. Use a plastic pry tool inbetween the two pieces. You will see a groove. Look at the video again around the 32 second on to see.
I got the top part off its the big bowl shaped part I can't get. Cant see what the clips look like and not in mood to pull until it breaks

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the top part off its the big bowl shaped part I can't get. Cant see what the clips look like and not in mood to pull until it breaks
If you got that plastic off. Now you just twist the mirror about a quarter turn and it should come off.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
If you got that plastic off. Now you just twist the mirror about a quarter turn and it should come off.
Well, finally got courage to twist it off !! Got mirror off and realize there wasn't a chance of getting that plastic cup off unless the mirror was removed first. Looked at the connector and can't see how I was going to stuff pins into there to power my detector.

All this work and effort and I just ended up running wire down A pillar, across to Cig lighter and tapped off that

Matt513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looking to mirror tap my uconnect mirror to power dashcam on my 18 1500. Haven't looked at harness yet, but any chance anyone was able to do this successfully?

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
looking to mirror tap my uconnect mirror to power dashcam on my 18 1500. Haven't looked at harness yet, but any chance anyone was able to do this successfully?
As I posted above I gave up even after getting it all apart. Was easier to just run wire from Cig lighter plug up A-pillar and across

Borderc21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi