Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Rear wheel fell off while towing motorcycle trailer

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by erictomlin, Jul 24, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. buddy guy

buddy guy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    wow. amazing.

2. Rodenti

Rodenti Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Wow, that looks surprisingly similar to my situation.

I have a 2017 1500 Sport that lost the driver side back wheel this past weekend. Felt a vibration in the truck that started earlier in the day but couldn't pinpoint the source. I headed home so I could check it out further and on the way I felt a strong shudder then lost a wheel as I pulled onto the shoulder. Fortunately it wasn't at high speed so the wheel didn't go into traffic.

Towed to a dealership and $1000 later she's all fixed up.

Scary situation that could have been much worse.

I last checked the torque of my lug nuts before towing my camper in June and all was good. I'm going to be much more anal about checking my wheels in the future.

Screenshot_20191009-005207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191009-005353_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. Rodenti

Rodenti Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Here's the rim

Screenshot_20191009-005237_Gallery.jpg

4. BWL

BWL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Looks like you got lucky like I did. No damage to the wheel well. Cost me a couple hundred for wheel studs, lug nuts and new diff fluid since I couldn't get the studs in without sliding the axle out. Couldn't believe the price on wheel studs! My wheel was also ruined so I spent another 500 on a set of wheels off craigslist.

5. Rodenti

Rodenti Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yes, I was very lucky!

The dealership had to slide the axle out too; poor design in my opinion.

New rotor, parking brake assembly, wheel studs, lug nuts, fluids, grease, sealant, and a few hours of labour to get it fixed. Most of the work had to be done in the dealership parking lot since they couldn't get the truck into the garage without a back wheel.

I picked up two used alloy rims for $400 (including tpms sensors) and transferred the tire from the wrecked rim, so now I have a spare.

The only body issue is black tire marks on the paint. I'll wash the truck later this week and try to buff them out.

6. grizzstang

grizzstang Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    ^^^ Wow, and you checked the torque in June. In less than 4 months you lost a wheel. Is it possible someone loosened them for you?

Since this thread popped up I have checked my truck and our Jeep couple of times and every time they are to spec.

7. Rodenti

Rodenti Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    No idea what happened. I changed the brakes in May, re-torqued a few days later and then again the next month. My security camera doesn't show anyone messing with my wheels over the past few weeks.

I got home Saturday and immediately checked my car wheels, and I expect I'll be extra watchful for a while.

It's possible that my torque wrench is out of calibration and torqued the nuts less than needed so they loosened over time. I just ordered a new torque wrench to compare with my current one to see if it under torques. As insurance I'll keep the new one in my truck for any time I feel a vibration while driving.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Unfortunately, there are a few people (mainly kids) that think it is funny to loosen peoples lug nuts.
    So it may not be personal and could be that it is just that, someone loosened the lug nut.

Unfortunately, you tend not to notice a loose wheel until it is almost ready to go off on it's own.