Rear Window Defroster - covered by Lifetime Maxxcare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Headed out this morning, remote started the truck and didn't bother scraping the back window because rear defroster does an amazing job.

Until this morning, when it didn't do a darn thing. Which is very unusual.

Stopped for gas and decided to give it a quick once over, and found the driver's side connection, where the wire is soldered to the window, had popped free - the solder broke. Not a surprise, truck is 5 years old and the rear window defroster is used a LOT every winter.

I've had limited luck re-soldering these in the past, but is this something that is even covered by the Lifetime Maxxcare warranty? If it's not, how hard is it to fix it right? If this isn't the right place to ask, feel free to point me to the right place.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
MaxCare will cover it. Only exclusions are:
  • Maintenance services and items used in such services
  • Wear items (such as tires, manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, belts and wipers)
  • Snow plows, winches and trailer hitches
  • Body and paint items, including soft trim
  • Remote transmitters & headphones
  • Glass and plastic lenses

OP
OP

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
  • Wear items (such as tires, manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, belts and wipers)
Thanks man.

Now to just get them to get to it quick. And give me a loaner while they do it because I've got stuff to do and don't have an extra vehicle laying around.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks man.

Now to just get them to get to it quick. And give me a loaner while they do it because I've got stuff to do and don't have an extra vehicle laying around.
MaxCare covers 1st day rental, just make sure to reserve one when you schedule appointment.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man.

Good Luck on a fast turn around and a loaner. Last time I had my truck to dealer, they said 2 months out on a loaner. Since my vehicle only had to stay overnight, they gave me a ride home (45) miles one way and picked me up next day. SO guess not complain too much.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
MaxCare covers 1st day rental, just make sure to reserve one when you schedule appointment.
My local dealer USUALLY has free loaners, and I have a good working relationship with them so I usually get a decent vehicle.

That said, with how stupid the vehicle market is right now, it may not work out the same. They did just get a used like 2020 Longhorn traded in...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't mean to drop a wrench into your plans, but if I'm not mistaken, the dealership's fix for this is normally to replace the rear window. And in that case, glass is not covered under the extended warranty. I hope for your sake that I'm mistaken, but be ready for them to try and deny this claim for that reason.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't mean to drop a wrench into your plans, but if I'm not mistaken, the dealership's fix for this is normally to replace the rear window. And in that case, glass is not covered under the extended warranty. I hope for your sake that I'm mistaken, but be ready for them to try and deny this claim for that reason.
Irrelevant that glass isn't covered if replacing the glass is necessary for a covered repair. Rear defroster should absolutely be covered.

The whole rental thing and Maxcare is spotty. I usually don't fight it as I have alternate vehicles. I get the feeling the dealership is on the hook to provide it and they act as though they are giving you a kidney.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Irrelevant that glass isn't covered if replacing the glass is necessary for a covered repair. Rear defroster should absolutely be covered.

The whole rental thing and Maxcare is spotty. I usually don't fight it as I have alternate vehicles. I get the feeling the dealership is on the hook to provide it and they act as though they are giving you a kidney.
It is very relevant for 5th gen 1500 owners who have had their claims denied for cracked rear window frames for this reason. It's not the actual glass that is damaged, but that doesn't seem to matter. I'm not saying it's not worth asking. The answer is always no if you don't ask. I'm just saying not to be too disappointed if it's denied.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would fix it if you can, assuming there is enough of the solder pad exposed. I had a bad leak from the rear cab vents that had standing water in my rear underseat storage compartments. $20 in parts to fix and I am not sure if they would have taken my seats and carpet out to dry out like I did. Was not fun, but I didn't want them to park it in the rain until they got to it.