Rear Window Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So awhile back I noticed that around my rear window there were stains for where water had leaked through. Well it has gotten way worse I noticed it had gotten worse when the car wash soap started to leak through. Any ideas where it maybe coming frome2583afa89f56b707eb24d2dbb99c2ab.jpgb4e0cc1ef878563d6f8599709fefa1f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3rd brake light, outside rear of cab. The gasket leaks. Known issue.

Sent from my hammer and chisel using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2 most common spots are the 3rd brake light or the shark fin antenna.... I would think the antenna by the location of the leak stains.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yikes.

3rd brake light seal might be bad, slap some silicone on it.

In my case, the leak came from a ****** rear-window replacement job that resulted in water getting stuck behind the silicone mounting the glass to the cab. Got that replaced and no leaks since. Hopefully yours is just the 3rd brake light.

Also you can remove those stains with a steam cleaner like you’d use on the carpet.

smithj603

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 BigHorn CC
Engine
The foam seal around the 3rd brake light disintegrates and is a very common spot to let water in- there are a few threads on here to replace with a compressible gasket- easy 15 min DIY, however I don't have any experience with the antenna leaking

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the third light leaking. Wow that must be leaking bad. Water always seems to find a its way.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Mine did the same and it's a common issue. I sealed the 3rd brake light but also put you some black rtv or whatever where the roof drains/runners meet the back window. Just peal the trim back slightly and load that spot up.

For the roof stains, get a good auto upholstery cleaner and just work it slowly. I used a microfiber cloth and had to go over each spot 3-4 times. Once it dried it's like they were never there.

Last edited:

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apc, and a microfiber will remove that..maybe a little bit of steam [emoji1360]

Tugboat32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine turned out to be the runners, not the brake light. I suggest sealing both. Pull the black rubber strip up at the rear of the cab just slightly. Seal it up where the sheet metal is welded. I used a clear silicone for outdoor use and haven’t had a problem since. That was 3-1-2 years ago.

OP
OP
Firefighter14

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies guys! It’s on both sides the one with the blue stain is the passenger side the other is the driver side. I’m going to do both things suggested and seal the 3rd brake light and the rain channels. Thanks again

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
Mine turned out to be the runners, not the brake light. I suggest sealing both. Pull the black rubber strip up at the rear of the cab just slightly. Seal it up where the sheet metal is welded. I used a clear silicone for outdoor use and haven’t had a problem since. That was 3-1-2 years ago.

So I found some rust and wetness under the driver side rear seat. I carefully resealed the 3rd brake light thinking that was the problem. We just had some significant rain and I remembered to check under the seat. It was very damp 12 plus hrs after the last rain and the seat bracket is rusty again. Since there was never any staining of the headliner or appearance of water trails behind the brake light, I assume the gutter/window seal is my problem. I peeled up the end of the adhesive backed rubber strip in the gutter, but don't see a weld joint there. Does the leak occur through the back window seal at that corner?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This is ****** and I can’t believe the new rams have the same issues as my 2008! f-ing brutal.

I used climaloc plus and so far so good. I have a similar stain albeit much less than yours and one morning had huge puddle on driver side floor. Wasn’t happy at all. My driveway is on an incline and if I was back up so the water got in. For the time being make sure you’re level or the rear facing downward till you fix the issue. Pretty sad it’s a reality for us spending this much money on these trucks. If you want I can send you a pic of the one I got in the AM. We are excepting rain so I parked in a way that water will get it. If it ruins anything straight to dealer and they can fix their ****

Also, check the door seals. Mine seem to have a mind of their own and slide off all the time. It’s a pain. That may let water in also. The one that sits in the pillar area comes loose and I can see how that would let rain onto the floor there.

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not positive if it's the rear window yet on my 2017 Ram express quad cab, but there were signs of leakage at the left rear corner of the interior when I bought the truck this April (a little water staining on the pillar and door sill). I just figured it was from the door not being closed properly, or the window left down at the dealer. It was so dry this spring and summer where I live, I just discovered the problem a week or so ago! Also, the rear window was blown out and replaced at some point before I bought this truck and it's a cheapo, wavy rear glass. I found glass crumbs under the rear seat and between the bed and cab on that lower rubber molding between cab/bed.

I'll post back what I found, but so far I applied a bead of black silicone around the "shark fin" , which is more of a square bump on my truck. No go. Still leaks.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just a follow up on my above post. The water leak was indeed from the top left corner area of the rear glass on my 2017 Ram express. The rear glass was replaced at some point before I bought the truck used and whoever installed it did a crappy job removing all the factory sealer, so there were some gaps. My glass guy re-sealed it from the inside with eurethane sealer. He had to drop the rear of the headliner to do so. Did a nice, super neat job.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just a follow up on my above post. The water leak was indeed from the top left corner area of the rear glass on my 2017 Ram express. The rear glass was replaced at some point before I bought the truck used and whoever installed it did a crappy job removing all the factory sealer, so there were some gaps. My glass guy re-sealed it from the inside with eurethane sealer. He had to drop the rear of the headliner to do so. Did a nice, super neat job.

Good. It’s nice to know you won’t get more water inside. Have you replaced anything ? Carpets? Headliner ? No issues with mould or anything ? I just got my third light fixed because it was leaking. They cleaned my headliner under warranty. They were gonna replace it but cleaned instead. They were also gonna replace carpets if needed. All covered

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No, I haven't replaced anything. Had I bought the truck new and it was the factory window leaking, I definitely would have pushed the stained headliner and wet carpet issues with a Ram dealer. I just don't have the desire to try that angle given my circumstances.

bigdaddydog1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed this last week...it blew out an amp i had behind the seat (reg cab) the staining goes from one side to the other on the headliner. I noticed this morning some water kind of fall from the middle right in front of the window, I pulled the 3rd brake light and there was no moisture there... any ideas?IMG_0594.JPG

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
sadly, since moving to Louisiana, I've noticed some of this type of leaking, as well. I see that the 3rd brake light has some condensation inside, so I'm guessing this is the culprit.

Mandy Miller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone! My husband has a 2012 Ram 1500 and we noticed a leak over the weekend when we got the truck washed. After reading some of your comments, it looks like it could be the 3rd brake light. It's leaking on the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi Everyone! My husband has a 2012 Ram 1500 and we noticed a leak over the weekend when we got the truck washed. After reading some of your comments, it looks like it could be the 3rd brake light. It's leaking on the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Seal around 3rd brake light

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?