Rear Window Leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont use rtv. Use urethane adhesive. You can get it at any auto part store. It is what the pro use. And the rear window lmc trucks has them for 270 plus but its a slider.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what wrong with RTV? I've seen other members mention that within posts. I've never used it but just a question

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its just what i was told from auto body guys and glass guys. They told me that rtv will be washed out in a few weeks by car washes, and any other high pressure water source. And the urethane will not. It the same stuff they use to put in a new wind shield.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the RTV since it's all my auto shop had by the house. Im goind to see how well it holds up and even if it solves my problem. I put it around the 3rd brake light (which I doubt is the problem, bc it was bone dry behind the light and inside the gasket area) and also put some in the bottom corners of the rear slider.

If it doesnt work I found a place that will come to my house and reseal my rear window for $150 (if it is re-useable, he said sometimes they can get messed up upon removal which is why the dealership always installs a new one) or put in a solid rear window for $250 (which is probably what I will go wth)

Im jsut tired of my truck smelling musty and being more humid inside my truck that outside in the florida heat, which is pretty hard to beat in the first place

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just a helpful hint to get rid of the musty smell. Pour about a gallon of fresh water where it is the worst then go to the gas station and use the vacuum and suck all the water out. Since it flood by my house almost ever 6 months this is the best way we found. Also go to the store and get some dap rid in the buck and put it in your truck for about a month but check weekly so the water doesnt spill out. Good luck on the window.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GREAT suggestion!!! doing that today. thanks!!

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, Silicone didnt stop the leak. Have the auto glass guy coming to my job tomorrow to replace my rear slider with a solid fixed rear window. $260 out the door

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the rear window replaced with a solid one. Only thing that sucked is I had to take if back to my tint guy to get it re-tinted since they only had the non-tinted factory one in stock.

here's before and after

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 616
  • mail.google1.com.jpg
    mail.google1.com.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 586
OP
OP
JiB-z

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I wanted to see if the RTV unltra black solved the leaking problem you had and where exactly you put the RTV. I have the same problem and will be purchasing some of this soon to fix the pool that has been created in my rear storage compartment.
I actually folded the seal away from the center window and put RTV in the bottom corners to try to make it one continuous seal. I also found that the corner was leaking by the tab that holds the back jute in place so I ended up putting a whole tube of 732 silicon from the top passenger side corner down to the bottom of the window from the outside. Had to use a coat hanger to get it in but it seemed to fix the tab leak.

OP
OP
JiB-z

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yep, mine does the same thing in both corners of the back window and also in the center where the sliding window opens. Pain in the ass I tell ya. And do you think anyone is able to fix it? Nope. They all tell me to replace the window. Kind of makes me wonder...with all these seal problems, if my truck had a sunroof, would it leak too?? I guess I should be happy I don't have a sunroof!
I asked the dealership about a new seal and they said they could replace the back window for about a thousand bucks. That was a resounding no.

OP
OP
JiB-z

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Its just what i was told from auto body guys and glass guys. They told me that rtv will be washed out in a few weeks by car washes, and any other high pressure water source. And the urethane will not. It the same stuff they use to put in a new wind shield.
I trust the RTV ultra black. We build engines with that stuff all the time and it handles the pressure without any problem. My profile picture is of a 416 (stroked 340) that I recently built that starts up with 100 psi of oil pressure and idles at 80 psi at 1200 rpm's. If that stuff can handle a 550 hp engine with over 100 psi of oil pressure i think it can handle a little rain and the occasional car wash. I think they're just trying to sell you something.

OP
OP
JiB-z

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went with the RTV since it's all my auto shop had by the house. Im goind to see how well it holds up and even if it solves my problem. I put it around the 3rd brake light (which I doubt is the problem, bc it was bone dry behind the light and inside the gasket area) and also put some in the bottom corners of the rear slider.

If it doesnt work I found a place that will come to my house and reseal my rear window for $150 (if it is re-useable, he said sometimes they can get messed up upon removal which is why the dealership always installs a new one) or put in a solid rear window for $250 (which is probably what I will go wth)

Im jsut tired of my truck smelling musty and being more humid inside my truck that outside in the florida heat, which is pretty hard to beat in the first place
Mine was filling up the storage compartment under the seat until it would flow out of the holes drilled in the front. I used a couple of body plugs and plugged the holes so I could confine the water to one area. It really helped with the smell.

08Rammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the rear window replaced with a solid one. Only thing that sucked is I had to take if back to my tint guy to get it re-tinted since they only had the non-tinted factory one in stock.

here's before and after

How much did that cost?