Reasons NOT to buy a 6spd Manual Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I ever had in HD trucks were manual
Last CTD duely was a 6 speed manual I deleted and unpowered to 900 tq & 450hp
Only issue was the clutch was too weak and had to upgrade it.

The truck I have now is my first HD with auto transmission as that is all that is available now.
I would take a manual over auto anytime. But most of my trucks in the last 40 years have been manual including 1/2 tons.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 07 Cummins and 6 spd manual, Thought way cool. ****, hated it. Wanna play? Shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, going 40, shift, shift, damn gotta slow down, shift, shift, shift, floor it, shift, shift, shift, wheee, damn, shift shift, shift, slow stupid traffic, yay, shift, shift , shift, red light, shift, shift, clutch, coast, stop, green, shift, shift, shift, shift, slow down shift, shift, going again, shift, shift, shift, shift, omfg I shift hate this truck shift shoulda shift bought an shift automatic, shift, DAMMIT shift, I'm going shift home shift truck pi(shift)ssing me off shift.
Get it?
I had manuals in both my diesels
Put over 800,000 on them with lots of city driving. No issues shifting. I had a few cars a trucks with manuals. First car was manual, and learned to drive with a manual as a teenager. I even had a F150 with 3 speed manual on the column (showing my age now LOL).
Wish my 6.4 came a manual but can’t get them anymore.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On this page alone, there are 12 threads regarding automatic transmission troubles.

Your auto is faster, good. You can have the countless problems associated with them.

I'll take one big, dry clutch over e bunch of little wet clutch packs, all day, every day.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On this page alone, there are 12 threads regarding automatic transmission troubles.

Your auto is faster, good. You can have the countless problems associated with them.
I just looked at the threads. Only one of them was the 68RFE used for the Cummins motor (which is what this thread is about), and that one had power mods, bigger tires, etc. IMO, the 68RFE on a stock truck is very reliable.
I'll take one big, dry clutch over e bunch of little wet clutch packs, all day, every day.
I have a buddy that has a 2500 Ram Cummins with a manual. I've driven it a fair amount. I don't mind the shifting part, but it was mostly open road driving. It would probably get old in town driving. But it's important to note that Ram derates the Cummins when you get the manual tranny. My friend put a tuner in his to get it back to auto tranny power numbers. So it runs good, but he does have issues with the clutch slipping. He's had to replace it twice. And he's not the Joe Racer type.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So your friend upped the power, then fried the clutch.Twice, no less. The second clutch, was it the same as the first? You keep doing what your doing, you'll keep getting what you got.

If you burn up a stock clutch with an engine that has been turned up, you put in a matching clutch, not a stock unit.

I'd still rather have a clutch changed, than a transmission.

I have a Mustang, and a Wrangler with manuals. I wouldn't have it any other way.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So your friend upped the power, then fried the clutch.Twice, no less. The second clutch, was it the same as the first? You keep doing what your doing, you'll keep getting what you got.

If you burn up a stock clutch with an engine that has been turned up, you put in a matching clutch, not a stock unit.
The last time he had it done, it had some kind of heavier duty clutch put in. I think he was running OEM ones until then.
I'd still rather have a clutch changed, than a transmission.
Again, this does not seem to be an issue with the Cummins trucks this thread is about, at least not on stock trucks. The OP is talking about lifts and tuners, so it's possible he would be at higher risk for issues.
I have a Mustang, and a Wrangler with manuals. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I hear you. I like manuals is some cases. Had a WRX for years and it was sheer pleasure rowing that shifter on our twisty Ozark Mt roads. But I would not really want one in my heavy duty pickup personally.