Rebel air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th Anniversary
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Anyone have a rebel with air suspension? How are the road manners? I had a 21 PW which i was about to do some suspension work on to improve some in road manners.

I’m looking at the rebel for improved road manners and mild off road capability. Is a rebel kind of a half ton version of the PW? I’ve had good experiences with two previous eco diesels so I would go that route with the gen 3.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
people seem to like the four corner air suspension till they start having problems with it. With the Gen4 trucks it was usually people in colder climates that had more issues with it although the system was revamped for the Gen5 trucks.
As for the 3rd gen EcoDiesel platform, not many problems have been reported, it's probably on par with any of the other Ram power-train platforms.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
people seem to like the four corner air suspension till they start having problems with it. With the Gen4 trucks it was usually people in colder climates that had more issues with it although the system was revamped for the Gen5 trucks.
As for the 3rd gen EcoDiesel platform, not many problems have been reported, it's probably on par with any of the other Ram power-train platforms.

What about the air suspension was revamped for 5th gen that improves reliability/longevity?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone have a rebel with air suspension? How are the road manners? I had a 21 PW which i was about to do some suspension work on to improve some in road manners.

I’m looking at the rebel for improved road manners and mild off road capability. Is a rebel kind of a half ton version of the PW? I’ve had good experiences with two previous eco diesels so I would go that route with the gen 3.

I have 21 Rebel with factory Air. As mentioned above. The older ones in cold had issue.

I'm in Toronto, it's not really that cold here. -32c range at times. I haven't had issue yet.
After another year or two, might give different answer.

I do off-road with my Rebel a lot.

Only thing I don't like about mine. I find it to be bouncy. Highway I drive on, has metal plates on corners/under bridges.
It jumps a lot. Didn't have issue with F150, my car, suv, etc. On the same highway. Dealer claims it's normal.
I took them on road test, drove 160KM hit metal, and Truck bounced in to next lane.
"That is normal, but please slowed, I want to go home"

Towing with Air does great though. I was towing 10k trailer without any issues.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Rebel is essentially just a more aggressive look trim package really. The air suspension is set up an inch higher than other trims and though I'm not positive I believe it uses the lower trim transfer case as it's more reliable off road. Power wagon is a completely different animal compared to a regular 2500. Different suspension,winch locking front and rear diffs and probably a few more things I haven't thought of. I'll be curious to see how the new air suspension lasts. It's still a closed nitrogen system with no easy way to purge moisture if it gets in there so I expect it to have a lot of the same troubles over time. Also kind of a bad choice for an off roader as suspension travel is limited.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Rebel is essentially just a more aggressive look trim package really. The air suspension is set up an inch higher than other trims and though I'm not positive I believe it uses the lower trim transfer case as it's more reliable off road. Power wagon is a completely different animal compared to a regular 2500. Different suspension,winch locking front and rear diffs and probably a few more things I haven't thought of. I'll be curious to see how the new air suspension lasts. It's still a closed nitrogen system with no easy way to purge moisture if it gets in there so I expect it to have a lot of the same troubles over time. Also kind of a bad choice for an off roader as suspension travel is limited.

Depends which Rebel options you picked. Some have Auto/4x4, others like mine don't, and have heavy duty TC.

I also have lifted Rubicon and bring my Rebel 97% same places. Does fine, way better than PW, TRX, Raptors I drive with.
Broke few wind shields, but that from poor judgement.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well then you must be an exceptional driver going out with weekend warriors with fat wallets. The raptor and TRX are in a whole other league. The power wagon is heavy so it's more of a slow and steady off roader so in some cases I could see it outperformed by even a tradesman with some decent tires.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well then you must be an exceptional driver going out with weekend warriors with fat wallets. The raptor and TRX are in a whole other league. The power wagon is heavy so it's more of a slow and steady off roader so in some cases I could see it outperformed by even a tradesman with some decent tires.
Exceptional? Ha no. Crazy yes.

Currently 14K on my truck. over 10 of it is from Off-roading.

PW is ok. It's just heavier. I have lift for my Rebel with Air, but it's still box, haven't time to install it.
And I'm still debating ,trading my Rebel for Sand Blast TRX.

MWrobel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I switched from the air suspension to coilovers with 3 inch lift and am much happier off-road and on.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing folks haven't mentioned is that the Rebels come with E-rated tires from the factory. E-rated tires will be more rough riding on the road......I've had them on multiple vehicles. They are very heavy/stiff tires, and won't provide the "ride" that a standard 1500 has. It has nothing to do with the actual suspension (air or not). I currently drive a '16 Rebel. It's a stiff ride, but great when towing or offroad. And yes, my '16 is like a PW-lite (beefier transfer case). I have 83k on the Rebel so far....much of that is long road trips. I find that "in town" driving is the most bumpy....highway is fine.

Pops4163

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

At least in my experience yesterday while spec'ing out my order at dealership, I could not order air suspension with the eco diesel except in the limited. All other models, when choosing the eco diesel, the air ride option was greyed out, unavailable. He went back and changed the engine to the hemi and the air ride option was there to chose. Beats me why, no one in the dealership had an answer.

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
Already posted my question where else in this forum:
Why don't stay my Rebel on the lowest position of the air suspension?
At running engine I can select the lowest setting and it stays there. But!
After just rolling away automatically starts to lift it to AERO position.
What's the reason for it?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It lowers the front automatically to aero position for better fuel economy at highway speed and then raises back to normal when you slow down. There is an option to turn aero mode off. It's in settings under suspension. Same area you'll find tow mode and Jack mode so the suspension doesn't adjust while jacked up or being towed.

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
It lowers the front automatically to aero position for better fuel economy at highway speed and then raises back to normal when you slow down. There is an option to turn aero mode off. It's in settings under suspension. Same area you'll find tow mode and Jack mode so the suspension doesn't adjust while jacked up or being towed.
Thanks but it does not lower to AERO, it makes the revers of it, lift it up, so its higher as I want on highway and on good surface. Than I want the body of the truck on the deepest level above all four wheels. On curvy roads also better to be as low as possible. Will try as you recommanded. But doesn't tow mode lock out the 8th gear? :rolleyes: Never used till now.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're talking about entry/exit (the actual lowest) then it raises once you move because it's basically on the bump stops. It will always revert to normal mode.Tow mode in the suspension settings is for when the truck is being towed. Not the tow/haul button on the console. Has to be done through the menu on the touch screen. Aero mode is automatic unless it's switched off in settings, but if it's raising the truck at speed something is wrong. Supposed to lower at highway speed and raise back to normal when you slow down. Go into control, then settings, then suspension and you should find this screenIMG_20220806_1157455.jpg

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

What was said above. Lowest setting is Enter/Exit mode only.
So it's going to go up to either "normal" or "aero" mode.

if you are in "normal" mode and drive to certain speed it will lower to aero.

I turned it off. And I keep mine in Aero mode all the time. Unless I'm off-roading , and then I put it on highest setting.

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
What was said above. Lowest setting is Enter/Exit mode only.
So it's going to go up to either "normal" or "aero" mode.

if you are in "normal" mode and drive to certain speed it will lower to aero.

I turned it off. And I keep mine in Aero mode all the time. Unless I'm off-roading , and then I put it on highest setting.
Aha OK. Now I understand. So exit/enter mode is only to get in and out the car.
Next is AERO upwards, that was clear and this is the lowest driving position I can choose. OK. I did not know that. My AUDI Allroad was able to drive in the lowest. There was no exit/enter. So I'm checking now that the RAM can not drive in exit/enter. But it would be high enough for highway on that level too.
Higher the 3rd an 4th position was not really necessary jet.
Anyway my Rebel came to Hungar from Canada. Was in Toronto etc. on honeymoon in 1984. Love your country. Last we were with CampingVan in the West in 2009.;)
It's a pity long ago. :confused: Time to get over again...

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
If you're talking about entry/exit (the actual lowest) then it raises once you move because it's basically on the bump stops. It will always revert to normal mode.Tow mode in the suspension settings is for when the truck is being towed. Not the tow/haul button on the console. Has to be done through the menu on the touch screen. Aero mode is automatic unless it's switched off in settings, but if it's raising the truck at speed something is wrong. Supposed to lower at highway speed and raise back to normal when you slow down. Go into control, then settings, then suspension and you should find this screenView attachment 499657
Thank you also for advice. Will try tomorrow.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing folks haven't mentioned is that the Rebels come with E-rated tires from the factory. E-rated tires will be more rough riding on the road......I've had them on multiple vehicles. They are very heavy/stiff tires, and won't provide the "ride" that a standard 1500 has. It has nothing to do with the actual suspension (air or not). I currently drive a '16 Rebel. It's a stiff ride, but great when towing or offroad. And yes, my '16 is like a PW-lite (beefier transfer case). I have 83k on the Rebel so far....much of that is long road trips. I find that "in town" driving is the most bumpy....highway is fine.
E rated tires on a rebel from the factory?? Ram dosnt even put e rated tires on the power wagon….

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
E rated tires on a rebel from the factory?? Ram dosnt even put e rated tires on the power wagon….
Yeap and even the 1500 Outdoorsman came with Load E tires from the factory. They're also an option on other trim levels.
As for the Power Wagon a Load D tire is close enough