Rebel front/rear diff fluid & covers and 44-45 transfer case fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking and find a lot of conflicting data regarding the tcase fluid for my 17' Rebel. It has the BW 44-45 t-case, but the manual only mentions fluid for the 44-44. I looked around here on the forums and I see a variety of different fluids mentioned. I am getting close to 90K miles and I do off-road and bit and tow so I wanted to get the fluids swapped before summer comes.

What is the recommendation for the fluids for a 2017 BW-44-45 and front/rear diffs? I have 3.92 gears with anti-spin rear.
I prefer Mopar fluids, but if there is something better, than I am open to hear it since my local stealership likes to price gouge the crap out of every single part.

Also, for those wondering, no I have not pulled any fluid, and the current fluids might be perfect, but I don't mind spending the money on my truck since I am working from home and putting almost 0$ in gas in it now.

Also, if you have any reasonably priced aftermarket diff covers you recommend, I would be happy to hear that also.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have been looking and find a lot of conflicting data regarding the tcase fluid for my 17' Rebel. It has the BW 44-45 t-case, but the manual only mentions fluid for the 44-44. I looked around here on the forums and I see a variety of different fluids mentioned. I am getting close to 90K miles and I do off-road and bit and tow so I wanted to get the fluids swapped before summer comes.

What is the recommendation for the fluids for a 2017 BW-44-45 and front/rear diffs? I have 3.92 gears with anti-spin rear.
I prefer Mopar fluids, but if there is something better, than I am open to hear it since my local stealership likes to price gouge the crap out of every single part.

Also, for those wondering, no I have not pulled any fluid, and the current fluids might be perfect, but I don't mind spending the money on my truck since I am working from home and putting almost 0$ in gas in it now.

Also, if you have any reasonably priced aftermarket diff covers you recommend, I would be happy to hear that also.
Can't recall the difference between he 44-44 and 44-45 (I have 44-46), but if your drivetrain selector has an "Auto", setting, you should use the Mopar expensive stuff. Your transfer case has clutch packs that engage all the time in Auto, much like full time LSD in axles.
If not, then ATF+4 is sufficient.

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a Rebel, but my Warlock with 3.21 also has the BW44-45. I just ordered this for my drivetrain:

Redline 75w85 for the front differential
Amsoil MV for the transfer case
Redline 75w90 for the rear differential. You could swap this for Redline 75w140 if your manual calls for 140. Redline has additives in it for LSD rear ends.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a Rebel, but my Warlock with 3.21 also has the BW44-45. I just ordered this for my drivetrain:

Redline 75w90 for the rear differential. You could swap this for Redline 75w140 if your manual calls for 140. Redline has additives in it for LSD rear ends.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks. I did come across Redline in a few searches, but have never used before. In all of my old vehicles I have always used Mobil1 and had good luck. But, I usually also replace my vehicles every 2-3 years. I think my Rebel might be one I hold on to for a lot longer, so wanted to make sure I get the right (and good) stuff. I do off road a bit and I do tow a pop-up-camper that is soon to be replaced with a hard side also.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks. I did come across Redline in a few searches, but have never used before. In all of my old vehicles I have always used Mobil1 and had good luck. But, I usually also replace my vehicles every 2-3 years. I think my Rebel might be one I hold on to for a lot longer, so wanted to make sure I get the right (and good) stuff. I do off road a bit and I do tow a pop-up-camper that is soon to be replaced with a hard side also.
Check with Nick@got exhaust, a forum vendor. He’ll know what you’ll need and supply the redline also.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might look at some videos by Banks on diff covers. They did a nice review. Some are worse than stock.

I just use mopar fluids. Easy to remember what's in my tk. But some guys swear by others. Personal preference.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hopefully this helps.
A good middle weight for the rear is the Redline 75-110. That's what I run, it is the best gear oil that I have run.
Do not get the NS as it won't have the additives, I am not sure if it's even offered in the 75W-110..
No real need to pull the covers if the fluid coming out looks decent - there are drain plugs on the diff.

pullup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Outdoorsman with the same rear. Also the BW 44-45. I use redline 75w140 in both diffs and redline MT-LV in the xcase. Just did them last week, everything is operating normally. I've been using redline for 10yrs as a professional tech and have never had any issues, and a few repairs along the way with redline. https://www.redlineoil.com/find-products-for-my-vehicle

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Keep diff covers oem, as stated after market diff covers allow for more fluid, but thrashes the fluid with square ledges.

Why do guys like oem fluids, is there a reason beyond I trust the manufacturer? I can respect that position, but personally I don't think they have my best interests at heart, I think they have their best interests at heart, and they might be aligned. Ram might not want my truck to last thirty years, that might not be their business model, but who knows.

The three worst gear fluids in this study are RP, Mopar and Lucas. And that follows my experience in the 4x4 forums, you cant even mention royal purple gear fluid in those real 4x4 forums. Just look at the copper corrosion of those 3 oils versus all other oils. How could Mopar allow their oem fluid to be that bad? And it is not hate in those results, in fact GM oem oil came in third in their scoring. So this has nothing against oem, just the quality of that mopar oil = junk.

Now, that study is by amsoil, so no doubt they won the test, they put high values on some items versus others, where if you are concerned with pin and vee block meaning high pressure, redline straight tested off the page, and was the only one to do so. If you go to the real extremes, not just playing around, but really getting down or towing super heavy, you need to look at pin and vee block tests, that is what they are for. They don't even know when redline would have failed, it was still in tact when they reached the upper limit of that test.

Now, the Mopar fluid is not the same as this Mopar fluid, this was before Shell bought/was awarded Mopar contract. But, the fact is oem simply does not use base oils designed for towing and wheeling, if you look at this study and read between the lines you can discern what true performance is. You cant go wrong with either amsoil or redline, one cool thing about amsoil are those bags.

Gear fluids have not changed in like forever, unlike engine oil that has gone through at least 5 iterations since this study. This study was in 2007, so it is very much relevant as there has been no spec change in gear fluids since way before that.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm confused also, on T/C, 17 2500 ram book in the truck says its a BW 44-44, but the T/C tag says its a 44-46. I was going to use ATF+4, or is this what I should use?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-68089195aa

ATF+4 The Borg Warner BW44-46 is their old time conventional chaincase with the minor upgrade of electronic solenoid engagement. It has no clutches in it, doesn't need magic friction modifier additive. Probably doesn't really need an ATF, either, as ATF's are chocked full of friction modifier additives for all the clutches in auto transmissions. It's probably just a matter of convenience.

Two other ways to tell - your drivetrain selector switch does not have an "Auto" setting. That setting allows full time 4WD operation due to clutches in the transfer case. These will have BW44-47 transfer cases. The other way is draining your transfer case. If you see red oil that stinks like ATF+4 additive, that's what was filled at the factory.

All these things applied to my truck with the BW44-46 transfer case.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Thanks HEMIMANN
I dont have an auto on the knob, 2wd, 4wd high 4wd low, so its ATF+4. Thats good I just did the transmission fluid and have plenty leftover. FWIW, I used the Dorman pan with drain, changed the filters, and the Lubelocker pan gasket. Torqued to 35,70,to final 105 in./lbs. NO leaks.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might look at some videos by Banks on diff covers. They did a nice review. Some are worse than stock.

I just use mopar fluids. Easy to remember what's in my tk. But some guys swear by others. Personal preference.
i'm not in a hurry, but thinking of swapping the cover when i change fluid since i'll be down there anyway. the banks reference is great, respected name with a lot of good research/videos. some have dissed that as marketing... maybe, but it's not just banks. spend some time and you will read lots of arguments against the flat-backed higher capacity covers. they don't keep the ring gear properly lubricated and heat up more than stock.

still doing research since i'm not in a hurry, but this one looks pretty decent (last i looked you couldn't get the banks for 1500 only HD). it maintains the OEM internal shape but is aluminum to shed heat better, adds cooling fins and has a magnetic drain plug: