Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Rebel Forum' started by 4Lo4x4, Jun 24, 2020.

1. rule18

rule18 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Rebel
    Engine:
    3.6, 3.92 and a Pedal Commander
    LOL, all good. It was pretty straight forward 'til they started branding the Classics which are past the typical generation time span..

2. 4Lo4x4

4Lo4x4 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    None
    Engine:
    None
    So you get more bang for your buck with the 4th gen Rebels than you do with the 5th gen?

3. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

No. He is simply saying the earlier rebels were more apt to be loaded ones, where you can now get them pretty basic for the most part.

4. 4Lo4x4

4Lo4x4 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    None
    Engine:
    None
    Ok thank you.

This is all new to me. I owned a sedan for 10 years before trading it in for my Jeep and now my Jeep for 8 years old so this would be my first truck.

5. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Gotchya. Well with that said, if you are the type of person to desire a base model vehicle, then it could be tricky finding an older used one. You can find fairly plainjane basic ones new, however.

6. jessie_m

jessie_m Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I purchased a used, 2yo rebel for $10k less than it would cost to buy the same truck new..had 27k miles. I researched pricing for new and used quite a while and found that generally the first 2-3 years is when the value takes the biggest loss for ram 1/2 ton gassers. My rebel has been an amazing truck. Hope you find yours.

7. Elkman

Elkman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    V6
    Something to look out for is the 33-gallon gas tank which should be standard equipment but is not. I would not buy a new or used Rebel without the larger tank. Cannot replace the factory tank with a larger aftermarket one except with the diesel engines and bolting a bunch of jerry cans to the truck is something to avoid.

8. bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I was worried bout going to the smaller tank in my Rebel. Hasn’t bothered me though. I pass about 15-20 gas stations each way to and from work. Full tank gets me almost 400miles. Works for me.

Also I know when I was looking at my Rebel there were some guys on other forums that had issues with 32 gallon tanks. They claimed to have the 32 gallon tank...yet their gauge would read and go down as if I have the 26 gallon tank. When they would get to empty, they would still have 6-7 gallons in it.

There was supposed to be a software fix but not sure when that came out.

Just something to look at and ensure is resolved if it matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. unxpctd

unxpctd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram Rebel
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    My Rebel has the 33 gallon tank. I had the issue where it was still showing 26 gallons on the gauge when I first bought it in 2017. They did a software fix. It came out awhile back.

Still reads a little wonky at times overall. But....it's more accurate. I can be down to nothing on the gauge (only happened a few times) and the most I've put in is about 29 gallons.

I drive my Rebel all over the nation....been to Key West, So Cal...and make frequent trips to Tennessee/Alabama. The 33 gallon tank was a necessity for me and it's worked out.

10. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Where the 32 gallon tank really shines is if you are towing. Just something to think of if towing anything any distance is in your future.

It's expensive to go to the 32 gallon tank after unless you can find a good used one.
    Scratch that - used 32 gallon tanks are now as low as $85 and available on car-part dot com

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020