Rebuild front drive shaft 4th Gen 2500 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
This past weekend I swapped the U Joints in my rear drive shaft chasing a vibration while at 50-70mph. Took a considerable amount of vibration out, but also in checking things out noticed my front drive shaft has a little play in it on rear U joint (the fun to grease one!) and wondered if anyone has done this? Pointers would be helpful as I've done plenty of standard U Joints, but not one with a ball between them. Any pointers?

Using this site for understanding of parts:

Is for older Ram, so different size of double joint, but this video is basically same process to replace the parts:

From other research I've done my understanding is you can take the front drive shaft out, and no harm/issues for normal driving (except you don't have 4x4) so will probably do that first to break it down and confirm the right parts before I start ordering. Mine has the flat face plates on each end so won't be leaving the transfer case or front differential open/exposed.

Anyone who's done one of these please let me know any gotcha's you care to share.

Thanks All!

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
According to specs on torqueking.com website for their QU40789 greaseable U Joint ($49.99 each) the specs are:

Caps - 1 3/16"
Width - 4 3/16"

Found this U Joint that is Spicer with same specs - but are only $26.99 each:

So now will only need these two items from torqueking.com for overall parts to do this rebuild:

QU40744 CV Ball and Seal Kit:

and
QU40704 CV Ball Joint Seal (other side)

3 x $26.99 for the U Joints on Amazon
1 x 47.98 for CV Ball and Seal Kit
1 X $12.98 for CV Ball Joint Seal

Total in parts before tax & shipping: $141.93

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
One item I see up front is how to get the CV Ball out of the yoke? This is the one that has the weird grease fitting you have to find and grease at each oil change.

Found this as one option:
At 27:07 mark

or

you could buy a whole new assembly:

So rebuild it for $47.98 or buy a whole new assembly with CV Bearing/Spring/Seal already installed for $199.98

You're still going to need the other seal either way listed above for $12.98

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I can't name the source because I "heard of it" but was told the front universal crosses were an odd size and could not be second sourced outside of Mopar... When I bought my 2012 2500, there was a definite wobble feeling/noise in the front shaft. When I took it out and looked it over, I just decided to go to a custom driveshaft shop and had them build me one that accepted off-the-shelf fully-greasable Spicer parts. Standard zerks for the crosses and needle fittings for the CV. I paid $380 for it. My rear shaft is starting with the support bearing "clunk" when I shift from forward to reverse. I'm going to have a custom greasable shaft built for it.

Like was said on an automotive TV show, "there is no replacement for displacement". The driveline version of that is "there's no replacement for lubrication".... No, it doesn't rhyme... Oh well. LOL