Recall: All Weather Floor Mats may Interfere with (Adjustable) Pedals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
August 27, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V513000

All Weather Floor Mats may Interfere with Pedals

A pedal that does not return as expected may affect the vehicle's deceleration, thereby increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V513000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Potential Number of Units Affected 160,229

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Ram 1500 vehicles equipped with adjustable pedals. In certain accelerator pedal positions, the floormats may prevent the pedal from returning to the normal resting (idle) position.

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will modify the driver's floormat to remove the potential for pedal interference, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2020. Owners may contact FCA US LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W63.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

2 Affected Products

Vehicle

MAKE MODEL YEAR

RAM 1500 2019-2020

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There have been a couple of threads about this. The temporary fix is to trim some of the ribs near the accelerator pedal. This recall seems silly to me. I tried to make this happen and my gas pedal doesn't come close to the floor mat in any position. I'll swap out the mat when the replacements become available, but I'm not going to let them butcher up my perfectly good floor mat.

OP
OP
4wdRookie

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There have been a couple of threads about this.
Sorry about that. I searched for this recall in all forums but didn't find it so posted it since the date is fairly recent.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No worries Rook. :cheers:
I might be thinking about one of the other forums. In know there are threads about the recall over on 5thgenrams. Thought there was at least one here too but I might be mistaken.

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought my Mopar all weather's separate from the truck purchase so I hope they honor a free "turn-in and replace" option for those of us who spent $165 on them.

OP
OP
4wdRookie

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought my Mopar all weather's separate from the truck purchase so I hope they honor a free "turn-in and replace" option for those of us who spent $165 on them.
What they say they will do: "...dealers will modify the driver's floormat to remove the potential for pedal interference."

I suspect the technician will 'modify' the mat with a pair of shears.

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I could do that. I'm wondering if they are going to release a new version and obsolete the old one. I want the new version for free if so, not a modified old version.

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What they say they will do: "...dealers will modify the driver's floormat to remove the potential for pedal interference."

I suspect the technician will 'modify' the mat with a pair of shears.

Yea, I could do that. I'm wondering if they are going to release a new version and obsolete the old one. I want the new version for free if so, not a modified old version.

OP
OP
4wdRookie

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I misspoke. I suspect the technician will 'modify' YOUR mat with a pair of shears.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If you purchased through a dealer or the online store, you will be included in W64, which is just the equipment portion of W63. You will get a letter in the mail.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Kaitlin!

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you purchased through a dealer or the online store, you will be included in W64, which is just the equipment portion of W63. You will get a letter in the mail.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thanks. Yes I bought them at the dealers parts counter when I purchased the truck. Don't know that they took my name or anything at that time though.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seriously? I certainly hope this is a interim fix and subjects of this butchery will be given a new set of mats. They don't seem "weatherproof" to me anymore. Sort of defeats the purpose.
That's a temporary fix. The permanent fix is a replacement driver side mat.

Got my notice in the mail today. If this is the fix I’m out until they can replace mine with new redesigned mats once they have them.
You'll still get a notice when the new mats are available, even if you don't go in for the temp fix.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Seriously? I certainly hope this is a interim fix and subjects of this butchery will be given a new set of mats. They don't seem "weatherproof" to me anymore. Sort of defeats the purpose.

They're not "weatherproof" after the fix. This is what the dealer did to mine.

I got a call from the service manager this morning. He is not sure why I never got a notice (I received an email from CarFax informing me about the recall) but says that owners should be receiving a letter about (A) the recall and (B) a replacement mat "once they become available". He also admitted that they have no idea when that will be.

Oh, and there is another thread on this subject. I found that one first:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/floor-mat-recall.167154/

Someone else mentioned taking shears to the mat. I thought it looked more like a 5 year old went to town on it with a hacksaw.

What I cannot figure out is why don't they just shave the ridges down? Why do they still need to cut a slit in the mat. The slit is just empty space between what is left of the regular level of the mat. It seems to me that something is MORE likely to get caught in the mat now.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The ridges are not solid, so you can't just shave them down. You answered your own question by saying "The slit is just empty space...". Once you shave the tops, the hollow area is exposed and open to the floor. I was being sarcastic when I said they don't "seem" weatherproof anymore and that it defeats the purpose of a weatherproof mat...Obviously, they're not.
I'm guess the new mat's will follow a similar design except with a flattened rubber spot around the pedal instead of the ridges.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
@LugsLeadOut84

After looking closer at the mat, I see what you are saying about the ridges being raised; however, at the same time, I still think they could have been cut down level with the mat surface. This would have left a smaller opening for dirt, etc. to fall though.

This also seems like such an asinine thing to fall through the cracks (no pun intended) from a design standpoint.