Recall for Rear Bed Step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Goodspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone out there been to the dealer on a recall to have their rear bed step replaced. I was told by the dealer that the step are removed because the supporting bracket for the bed steps are breaking, but the actual steps/brackets under the recall are not available yet at the dealerships. Anyone have an update on the installation of the new rear steps by the dealerships?

Paultg

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
I’ve heard the issue you describe is true but for 2500/3500 trucks.
My 2020 1500 is on order with step and no one has told me there might be an issue getting it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Has anyone out there been to the dealer on a recall to have their rear bed step replaced. I was told by the dealer that the step are removed because the supporting bracket for the bed steps are breaking, but the actual steps/brackets under the recall are not available yet at the dealerships. Anyone have an update on the installation of the new rear steps by the dealerships?

If you can send your VIN, we can take a look for you!

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fantastic! (not). My truck didn't come with the step but I added it later myself, but I bought it from my dealership. So I won't be included in any recalls, or covered under the b2b warranty.

OP
OP
John Goodspeed

John Goodspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019, 2500, that I recently bought used. I was told at the dealership that the rear bed step was removed due to the brackets breaking and that I should receive notification when new steps/brackets are available. Not sure when that will be. The window sticker that I was provided with the truck shows that a rear bed step came with the truck. Hopefully, the Dodge dealer will honor replacing the new step.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I would not waste money on the Ram bumper mounted step, given the recall. I bought the driver side "Dee Zee Bumper Step" for my Ram 1500, and they make a similar thing for other trucks. The aluminum step and steel bracket is thick and heavily powder coated black. Mine cost around $85. While it's an exact fit, I can't say it was easy to install. It's not easy to get a wrench on the mounting bolts. However, it is a strong and solidly made hunk of steel and aluminum. I wish there was one made for the passenger side too.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They only make them for the drivers side
so when you slip on them, you fall out into traffic

I rather slip & fall onto the sidewalk

I have a AMP Bed Step stored in one of my bedrooms
I won't install it before i make or find a grab bar that mounts in the bed in the drivers rear bed corner.
Bedrail is too low for an old guy like me

I am kidding, i have the perfect answer for me

TUv2jB.jpg

nMmgwC.jpg

Last edited:

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
FCA US has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Mopar Rear Bed Step Kits (part number 82215289AB) intended for use on 2019 model year Ram 1500 pickup trucks.
And, FCA is recalling 37,580 of its 2019 to 2020 Ram Heavy Duty pickups equipped with the Mopar accessory bed step in the United States marketplace. According to FCA’s release to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the step may fail in certain angular or side-load loading conditions.