Recalled CP4 Fuel Pump Went out before I could get the replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So, Im looking into filing a class action lawsuit after receiving a recall notice from FCA. The issue being that FCA knew this pump had a failure problem and has been slow to resolve it. Their solution at the moment is to replace the pump that has failed with the EXACT same pump, which is currently on backorder or in very short supply. Not to mention it will also eventually and inevitably fail again.
Chrysler does not have a completely new redesigned pump, nor do they have a solution to reassure its customers that the replacement pump will prevent this from happening again. I dont plan to be one of their guinea pigs to find out either.
The pump on my eco diesel failed with 24k mi. on May 19th 2022, they had my truck 30 days and replaced it with the exact same parts. On June 25th 2022, the day I picked up my truck a representative from the Stallantis sent a message to inform the Service Manager about the impending recall. I have a copy of this transmisson, and FCA has had well over a year to find a solution. So, not to drag this out but if I were you I would demand they buyback your newly purchased truck. Its not worth the risk of injury or death to you, your family or the innocent person driving behind you who couldnt stop in time to avoid hitting a broken down truck due to a fuel pump that failed while hauling you family with your 5th wheel.
No they are not using the same CP4 they are now replacing them with the CP3.
A lawyer will be happy to take your $$ and then tell you there is nothing they can do because FCA is already addressing the issue.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
So, Im looking into filing a class action lawsuit after receiving a recall notice from FCA.
Is this the same Ian Berger from Berger Law Group, P.A. that was sued by the AG's of Florida and Connecticut for violating federal law by falsely promising consumers that they would file lawsuits that would induce banks to give consumers mortgage modifications or other forms of foreclosure relief? Just curious...If so, than I'm sure you know there have been several suits already filed in regards to the CP4 pumps and all of them are currently jockeying to be awarded the class action. If not, good luck doing that anyway.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Is this the same Ian Berger from Berger Law Group, P.A. that was sued by the AG's of Florida and Connecticut for violating federal law by falsely promising consumers that they would file lawsuits that would induce banks to give consumers mortgage modifications or other forms of foreclosure relief? Just curious...If so, than I'm sure you know there have been several suits already filed in regards to the CP4 pumps and all of them are currently jockeying to be awarded the class action. If not, good luck doing that anyway.
Nice!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thought they were going back to the CP3?
Well, I'm confused and I wonder if anyone else is.

The original poster apparently has a 2500 with a Cummins motor. This engine uses the CP series pumps.

But the latest commenter who is going to file for a class action suit is listing their vehicle as a ECO diesel. That's a motor found in the 1500s.

Do they use the same pumps?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91030 miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, I'm confused and I wonder if anyone else is.

The original poster apparently has a 2500 with a Cummins motor. This engine uses the CP series pumps.

But the latest commenter who is going to file for a class action suit is listing their vehicle as a ECO diesel. That's a motor found in the 1500s.

Do they use the same pumps?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91030 miles.
I do believe the Eco also used the CP-4 pump and heard that FCA is in process of replacing it

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Everybody uses the CP4 pump. Ford Chevy/GMC but not the Japanese. It was engineered to achieve economy and power goals by Bosch and extensively tested by Bosch in Europe and in the US but clearly not enough or for long enough in the US. And then along came Covid and everything changed. So cry as we might about this or that failing, there is unfortunately no infrastructure in place anywhere to deal with the impact especially in the low priority industrial/consumer sector. Al precedents went out the window and industry erywhere is still struggling to get close to the product flow it had before Covid. I for one would like to see a class action just to hear a jury tell industry that it owes us not only for what we (as opposed to others) lost from the consequence of Covid due to the gross negligence of Stellantis and Bosch but I rather think it will be settled for a few bux to every owner after the Plaintiff Bar takes its 75% of the payout. So we dream on.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know if my 2016 Ram Eco-Diesel would ever have a Recall for the pump, but i'm thinking.
Instead of waiting 6 months to a year, or even longer
I would go to a diesel shop & get the CP3 pump installed
Or else i would be in the market for a pickup that gets the MPG that i get now

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know if my 2016 Ram Eco-Diesel would ever have a Recall for the pump, but i'm thinking.
Instead of waiting 6 months to a year, or even longer
I would go to a diesel shop & get the CP3 pump installed
Or else i would be in the market for a pickup that gets the MPG that i get now
There are kits for this replacement that have been sourced outside the cadence of the OEM supply networks. I have heard these are successful replacements and eligible for warranty reimbursement if your truck is covered which from what I have heard, its probably not so equipped.

Paul p Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Had this happen to my 2019 RAM 3500 over a month ago. CP4 pump trashed the entire fuel system. $300 tow to a independent shop. $12,000 to convert back to a CP3. Today I'm told I should have my truck back within the next couple of days.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Had this happen to my 2019 RAM 3500 over a month ago. CP4 pump trashed the entire fuel system. $300 tow to a independent shop. $12,000 to convert back to a CP3. Today I'm told I should have my truck back within the next couple of days.
Its always a good idea to have tow insurance to cover tows, your CP4 failing & fuel system needed to be replaced all should have been covered by FCA being there is a national recall on that pump so do not understand why you had to pay $12K to fix it being I also have read of several deleted trucks having the pump replaced so must be more to the story....