Receiver design is terrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I use a Dring with the screw in pin it extends holes outside the receiver tube it doesn't extend it too much; they are very strong!!!

Not sure I'd trust D-Rings to hold up under this, just my thoughts

OP
OP
D

Dam0007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here’s a picture. The lock just rotates up to clear the hooks. The gray boot covers the lock.
I don’t remember where I bought it.
This receiver is different. That’s the style I had on my GC.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The two answers that work for sure have already been provided, Nut and bolt instead of lock pin, or shackles. I have D rings from the Crane supply for the winch, rated at 80,000 LBs, they were 8 bucks each.

You can also have a larger piece of steel welded to the hitch on each side and drill them for the safety chains. This whole thing seems like a really easy issue to solve, with multiple simple solutions that don't involve the cost of a whole new hitch.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got a co worker with a 21’ Limited same as mine +/- a few options his receiver is totally different than mine. It’s oem for a fact. These receivers must be coming from multiple factories. Just browsing pics online found another one just like mine but the hole for the pin is like a inch and a half out farther than mine which would allow access for the S Hook no problem.
That has to be it, different suppliers, different designs. Whoever designed this method for hooking security chains has never towed. This is what my 2022 1500 receiver looks like. It is very very difficult to get the chains to hook. I'm thinking of pulling the receiver and adding an aftermarket or adding my own.

Attachments

• 1663058225959.png
    1663058225959.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

GoofyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I use a WDH and don't use a lock just pin with clip because the hitch is so bulky and I have to remove it. I only use lock to hold adaptor in place.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can’t fit the S hook on how the hell are you gonna fit a shackle on…. If you did have a 3rd party shackle on and it fails and something serious happens who’s getting blamed for improperly securing the trailer… Then on top of it you would be extending the length of the chains that could possibly create a safety issue as well cradling the tongue of the trailer.

I’d rather not take short cuts or do work arounds a lot of bad s*** could happen.
The trailer is already a third party item, the pin is also, trailer chains can be replaced by anyone who knowingly can do the work, using the proper materials and methods. I have replaced and modified trailer chains for over 40 years on trucks through class 8. It’s not a short cut, just way of life. Not everything has to be so complicated.

OP
OP
D

Dam0007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That has to be it, different suppliers, different designs. Whoever designed this method for hooking security chains has never towed. This is what my 2022 1500 receiver looks like. It is very very difficult to get the chains to hook. I'm thinking of pulling the receiver and adding an aftermarket or adding my own.
Meant to post this yesterday. My coworkers 2020 oem receiver. So From 2019 to 2022 that’s the 5th different style Ive seen. Then ours I’ve seen several with different spacing etc.

Attachments

• 28615AEF-FE7A-47F6-AE94-510FC35391EF.jpeg
    28615AEF-FE7A-47F6-AE94-510FC35391EF.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 11

Roll Tide Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My hitch is like this. I didn’t have a problem with regular s hooks but today I bought a 10k trailer today. It has larger grab hooks that were aggravating