Recommend a folding tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good timing! I just installed mine yesterday! History: I had the Gator tri-fold my 1500. Loved it. Even though it did not flip up against the back window. easy to use, easy to take off (only did so 3-4 times in 2 years). One of the side hinges broke after about a year. Still worked. I just bought the Tyger (Tyger Auto T3 Soft Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover Compatible with 2002-2018 Dodge Ram 1500; 2003-2022 2500 3500 | 2019-2022 Classic Only | Fleetside 6'4" Bed (76") | without RamBox | TG-BC3D1011) and it was $250. Quality seems to be better. Although the feature I liked about the Gator was that the latches would slide 3-4” so that when you closed it you didn’t need to be exact. The Tyger has a fixed latch, which still works fine but sometimes takes an extra 10 seconds. The Tyger came with foam tape for sealing the bed and the Gator did not. ($5).

soft versus hard: I had planned to switch to a hard fold and then I remembered that at least 10 times what I was carrying was 2-3 inches too tall to fit under a hard fold top. The soft top gives you “wiggle room”. Very happy after 24 hours… (ha)
Yup got the same one for my 2020 ram classic... same I had on my chevy and that was 9 years old when I recently sold the truck. And that was with brutal NJ winters and heat. Corners and stitching were showing thier age.

Tyger still the same quality. Heavy duty.

Pics of my old long bed. cover about 6 years old there

Link to same I bought for my 2020 ram..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32LLPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But these types of accessories are subjective

Attachments

• IMG_8087.JPG
    IMG_8087.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8088.JPG
    IMG_8088.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yup got the same one for my 2020 ram classic... same I had on my chevy and that was 9 years old when I recently sold the truck. And that was with brutal NJ winters and heat. Corners and stitching were showing thier age.

Tyger still the same quality. Heavy duty.

Pics of my old long bed. cover about 6 years old there

Link to same I bought for my 2020 ram..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32LLPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But these types of accessories are subjective
Tyger is located here in Corona California, they have some very good quality products

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a Gator (sub-brand of Extang) and love it. It took 2 feet of snow last year in one storm with out a problem. I did make one mod to it. I called and got the quick release handles that are on the back end and installed them in place of the wing nuts on the front end. Now I can remove it from the bed in 30 seconds and have all my bed space.

I only paid like $250 in 2019.
The price has went up to $350

Has them for under $300
I’ve been happy with my Gator SFX and it works well with my 5W hitch when folded
Up.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually Extand is owned by Truck Hero who used to be THI Corp, Gator is a private label since 2016 when THI CORP became Truck Hero who owns all the following brands :

Truck Hero® provides consumers a full range of branded automotive accessories for trucks, Jeep® brand vehicles, and cars, with market-leading functionality, engineering, quality, and design. The breadth of Truck Hero’s product offering is vast, including hard and soft truck bed covers, truck caps, bed liners, floor liners, fender flares, steps, suspension kits, Ventvisors®, Jeep parts, and off-road accessories. Truck Hero’s industry-leading family of brands includes Advantage Truck Accessories™, Alloy USA®, AMP Research®, A.R.E.®, Auto Ventshade®, BAK Industries®, BACKRACK®, BedRug®, Belmor®, Bushwacker®, Extang®, Husky Liners®, LUND®, N-FAB®, OMIX™, Rampage Products®, Retrax®, RoadWorks®, Roll-N-Lock®, Rugged Liner®, Rugged Ridge®, Stampede™, Superlift®, Tonno Pro®, TruXedo®, UnderCover®, and an online retailer, RealTruck®. All the companies in the Truck Hero family are recognized as premier brands and are leaders in innovation.

Almost every single tonneau cover out there uses the patent and design that BAK industries used as they were the original tonneau covers designed and invented by Julian Maimin ..he still holds every single patent for tonneau covers ..

Anyways, any of the tonneau covers out there are going to be made exactly like the BAKflip and Gator which is the Parents of all tonneau covers ...

Great info.....

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
It's actually American Tonneau Company and their hard tri-fold version for Rams is in the $550 range. They don't sell direct, so you have to find a distributor and they don't offer a hard roll-up version. I have the BAK X4S but also researched them to see what I was missing. I'd rather go with one that had more than 8 reviews. I'm ok with paying extra for some things.
According to their site the brand has been discontinued (Tonno pro remains), and they had an ABS plastic/vinyl hard tri fold, not an aluminium like the EFX or MX4 in the original post.

Last edited:

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
According to their site the brand has been discontinued (Tonno pro remains), and they had an ABS plastic/vinyl hard tri fold, not an aluminium like the EFX or MX4 in the original post.

I agree. I was referencing a post that stated:

"All three are over priced and not sure worth the money. One can find a couple of very good products on Ebay, and other sites, where folding tonneau covers for your truck run between $149 to $199 and are just as good, if not better than the three you state. Have had two American Pride, one on a RAM and one on a new Frontier. They are perfect covers, durable, great quality and you're not paying some 'brand name'. Good luck, don't waste your money/"

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I have bakflip aluminum for 11 years, truck lives outside..... never had an issue with the bakflip and plan to order another for my '22 after it arrives.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I agree. I was referencing a post that stated:

"All three are over priced and not sure worth the money. One can find a couple of very good products on Ebay, and other sites, where folding tonneau covers for your truck run between $149 to $199 and are just as good, if not better than the three you state. Have had two American Pride, one on a RAM and one on a new Frontier. They are perfect covers, durable, great quality and you're not paying some 'brand name'. Good luck, don't waste your money/"
As was I.

Stating they're as good or better seems odd, given they are plastic and support a fraction of the weight of the 'brand name'.

Don't waste your money on a name brand metal one with warranty, just by a clearance plastic one on ebay is not a statment I agree with, but glad your happy.