Recommend me a nice cruiser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norman Svarrer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe you guys can help me choose a car as I'd like to start putting less miles on my Ram.

Here's my requirements;

-Maximum price $25k..ish...i'd pony up a little more coin for the right car
-used with relatively low miles
-must be ultra-reliable (will be putting on about 20k per year)
-Must be big and comfortable
-some decent power...i'm not too concerned with gas mileage
-AWD would be a bonus, but not a necessity

Anyone got any ideas for me?
I had the same problem. I also needed one that would fit in the garage's reduced space. I bought a new Elantra for $19K and change. It is reliable, has a great warranty and gets 35 mpg around town. It does the legal speed effortlessly and is OK comfort wise.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have to agree with some of the other posts about the challenger/charger/300 recommendations. They have the Mercedes suspension and are big and comfortable and are great for cruising down the road. The Challenger even had an AWD with the V6. I had a older (Used) 2009 SRT8 that had zero issues, but sold it off after a couple of years to pay for other obligations.

The wife had a 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (Great cruiser/comfortable). You mentioned possibly a AWD, her MKZ was 2wd and even with snow tires in the Winter when it would start to spin the tires it would shut down the electric motors (on our street or driveway). Not an issue when cruising down the road.

The Lincoln MKZ's come in a V6 AWD and used ones can (Usually) be found darn near 1/2 off MSRP with low miles. I believe they call them a full size car, but to me they are mid size. The V6's aren't good gas mileage wise. I believe newest models come with a 4 banger AWD. I haven't shopped these in a while and the price may have caught (COVID) if you get my meaning.
Good luck in your search!

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My brother has a 2016 Ford Taurus and I was very impressed- with the right wheels it looks sharp and the ride was amazing. He has a V6 and gets 30mpg Highway. I also drove a new Chevy Impala a while back as a rental and liked it a lot too. Very smooth ride (I’m50 now so ride quality matters more these days). Of course you can’t go wrong with a Honda Accord. Newer ones look sharp.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to beat a used Chrysler 300 for value. I traded a real nice low mileage AWD Hemi last year on a Grand Cherokee SRT. Sometimes I miss the 300. Quick, comfortable and still got reasonable MPG. Just too bad the AWD and Hemi combo isn't available anymore.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any opinions on the newer ford fusions? The depreciation on these things is unbelievable...makes me wonder if they are crap?

you can find 2019's and 2020's (fully loaded titanium) with 10k miles for less than $20k...the sticker on these new is mid-high 30's.

Something tells me theres a reason these cars depreciated so quickly.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/834242650/overview/
My wife's niece had an older one. Fourth tranny in the warranty period. I'd stay clear. They are a money pit!

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you considered Subaru Legacy?

We just go rid of my wife’s Forester that was 11yrs old and never required anything over routine Maintaince. I also have friends and family who have had outbacks, sti’s, and other models and never known one to not enjoy the cars or have problems.

You mentioned AWD being a bonus. Well that’s Subaru’s bread and butter. A year old low mileage legacy should be mid-20s to lower 20s based on mileage and options/trim level. Likely turbo models being higher end of that range.

They also seem to have a shockingly good amount of interior room. They are safe, reliable, and the if you wish for funner ride the turbo does 0-60 in about 6 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Go buy yourself a nice Toyota Camry.

Just retired to rural Nebraska but spent 5 plus years commuting 500 miles a week between Omaha and Lincoln (the only three lane stretch of Interstate 80 until this summer). Bought a Certified Preowned 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE for $22K in 2015, routinely got 35-37 mpg at 75-85 mph. Zero maintenance other than factory scheduled. The Hybrid Camrys are stupid fast if you want speeding tickets - the 2.5 I4 plus big ol electric motor make it that way. The SE is louder at Interstate speed than the XLE V6 but better mpg ruled for me. Highway driving at 70 and under gets us 40 mpg easy, higher still in urban driving. Works great for four adults plus luggage too.

We bought a Certified 2018 RAM 1500 4x4 Crew Cab for hauling stuff but will eventually tow a small travel trailer once we find a decent T@B 320 CS at a good price.

OTOH a 2018 or so Certified Chrysler 300 AWD would be a good FCA option. (I'm hung up on Certified Preowned vehicles, 30 plus years in computer repair and little interest in twirling wrenches under a hood or a vehicle anymore.) Car mags seem to like them, the Certified part takes care of maintenance. Think they were even recommended for big folks too.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I have a couple of thoughts for you. What about another RAM? Maybe a base model with 4wd. Or a New Bronco? I would NOT recommend a Jeep after all the problems I have had with my 2 2020 Jeeps. I do not see me EVER buying another Fiat built "Jeep" again. The older ones yes but 2014 up NOPE!!!

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Bighorn
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I haven’t read all of the comments, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned. I was in the same boat with my 2018 3500 Bighorn. I love the truck so much that I was putting too many miles on it.

last spring I started looking for a daily driver. I ended up with a new Charger AWD SXT. Despite the V6 motor the thing is a rocket. I bought new, and the sticker was 35K. With discounts and rebates the price was down to 29k. I put 5k down, and my payment is 390ish per month.

It is a comfortable ride—full size but handles like a compact. Average fuel economy over it’s lifetime (according to the Fuelly app) is 24.9 mpg. I would recommend this for you, as all of the controls and switches are identical to my Ram.

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
Have you thought about a motorcycle?

You have good riding weather Spring and Summer, and some of the Fall, I imagine!

That's exactly what I thought when I read "cruiser". I got myself a Yamaha Virago 1100 a year-and-a-half ago. It's 1995 with 25k miles on it. Well, now it's 30k. Not sure about putting 20k miles on it per year, but they are known to push well into 100k miles. The best thing is: I only paid $1400 for it and all it needed was new tires and brake fluid flush, and for a good measure I replaced the engine and final drive oil. Everything ran me under $200 and the bike is running great. As for mileage: if you keep it around 80mph you won't get more than 28mpg :) it's a fun bike though. Big, comfy seat, back-rest, big saddle bags, and it ain't such a piggy bank as Harleys are known for. In fact: nothing broke on this bike yet, and keep in mind: it's 1995 vintage :) For the budget of $25k you can easily get 10 of these. If you only count on getting 20k miles from each one, you got 10 years of riding covered. And like I said: they will give you a lot more life than that.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe you guys can help me choose a car as I'd like to start putting less miles on my Ram.

Here's my requirements;

I've ALWAYS bought used vehicles, but thanks to COVID, you might want to reconsider used in this market.

Prices for used are freakishly high for some reason compared to new, to the point you can sometimes haggle down a new price after incentives lower than a year old low mileage model at Carmax... makes no sense, but I guess its supply and demand a lot of people aren't used to considering new so only shop used, inflating the used market value compared to the new vehicles that manufacturers are struggling to sell.

Heck, as people were saying you can get a brand new Camry for $25K, and really what matters is $/mile and because the resale of a 1-owner newer vehicle will be higher than reselling a 2-owner higher mileage vehicle (after 100K miles, many shoppers refuse to consider it tanking the price) it could end up cheaper. Brand new w/ warranty should be the most reliable.

You could also look at the new 21 Hyundai Elantra N-Line, you can even get a 200hp one w/ a manual and factory eagle summer tires which is kind of neat these days, w/ a 10 year 100K mile warranty and 32mpg on 87 octane is not bad! They must be putting something special in the kimchi these days, as their refreshed lineup is a huge upgrade from years past. Its like a GLI but within your budget.

Last edited:

UbuGray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here's my requirements;

You know, your requirements do point to a Ram. But, if you're really wanting a car, there are a couple you should look at. First is the Mazda CX-5. I am a fairly big guy and when I drive my wife's, it's fine. She bought the GTR version which has a turbo - actually a fun car to play around in. We drive to Boston (2 1/2 hour drive) twice a year in it and I do enjoy the power band and handling. Mazda had done a great job. They do offer a sedan, the 6, which I'm betting has similar power/handling.

The other option to go up in size is a Dodge Charger. Nice cruising car, had a rental when my Ram was in the shop for recall work, great riding. You can find them with Hemi's for a premium, or get a V6 version that'll sip less gas. Either way you'll like the big cruise of it. My summer ride is an '07 Mustang GT. I am seriously considering moving up to a Charger after 11 years with the Mustang. Seems like I opt more and more for the Ram when going out over the Mustang these days. I feel like I want more room too, and something easier for me to get out of - not getting any younger. :)

Good luck!

BakedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here's my requirements;

How about a 2019 Charger AWD? just looked at them and they are under $25k

tuckerdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
After nearly 5 years of ownership, we still love our 2015 Genesis 5.0 Rear wheel drive & 420 HP. Smooth as silk & loaded with comfy luxury features as well as a ton of safety features. The 6 cylinder can be had with AWD and still has 311 HP.
13662734310x800.jpg

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Find yourself a used Subaru Crosstrek.

$25Kish, Fun to drive with the turbo, all-wheel drive, 30+ mpg and damn comfortable.

Looks like I just checked off all your boxes sir, you're welcome.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Here's my requirements;

My recommendation is for you to pick what YOU like and what you want to use it for, not what someone else likes... after all your the one driving it, not someone else. ;)

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find yourself a used Subaru Crosstrek.

$25Kish, Fun to drive with the turbo, all-wheel drive, 30+ mpg and damn comfortable.

Looks like I just checked off all your boxes sir, you're welcome.
Pffffft, you wish! Aint no turbos on a Crosstrek.

The engine options are super slow 2.0 liter NA or moderately slow 2.5 liter NA if you get the Sport or Limited, all w/ a CVT which is outdated and soft off the line but reliable. Just be sure to order some nice bright LED drop-ins for the Sport, because the headlights in everything but the Limited trim are the lowest rating "poor" by the IIHS.

Def avoid the lower two trims though, because a base Crosstrek is one of the few vehicles that could race its twin from a stop light and both lose.