Recommended tire pressure and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy lee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought my truck about a month ago and I am very happy with her. it is 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 6.7 (fully loaded.. only 1850lbs payload)

I bought the truck to tow my travel trailer with GVWR 7500 (GD Imagine 2400bh)

by the way, the door sticker says recommended tire pressure is 65 psi for both front and rear tires. But, when I looked at the tires, it says 80 psi cold is recommended. I am confused. When I bought the truck, it had 80 psi for all tires. And I just did the oil change after breaking-in, the dealer set the tire pressure to 65 psi this time. My stock tire is Firestone Transforce AT LT285/60R20

what is the right tire pressure for my truck?

Lastly, my tailgate sometimes opened by itself, it happened twice already. Once it hit the wall and I got scratches on it. Very sad.. is this a common problem?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your tires state for maximum rated capacity 80 psi inflation.
Follow the tire inflation infromation on the door VIN sticker(not the yellow "payload" recommendation), double check that it only lists the rear tires at 65 psi. Practically every 3/4 and 1 ton vehicle I've see the door tags for have always shown 80 psi for the rears w/ Load Range E tires.

Sounds like your tailgate may have the problem which there is a recall out for, but not sure it covers 2019s? Turn the vehicle Auto-Lock(vehicle doors lock when you start driving) off to help reduce the problem till the dealer can fix it.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have a 1500, but I had some related questions because I'm moving to LT tires. Search for "tire load inflation pressure tables" for most complete information. The document you will find is a 2017 version - if you want the current data book from the U.S Tire Manufacturers Association it will cost $$. The tables tell you how to do the calculations to go from stock to non-stock sizes and preserve tire safety.

Pressure on the tire should be the maximum pressure. The placard pressure is the RAM recommended pressure for your stock size tires, presumably for 'all around use'. If you look carefully in your user manual you may find more information. You might also be able to find more information for your specific truck model in other on-line RAM docs.

I will be running 275/65R20 LT tires, and my calculations told me that my new tire pressures should be about 47 PSI versus the 39 PSI spec on my placard for a P275/60R20 tire (Goodyear SRA's). Without knowing I had any plan, the technical wizard at the tire shop I trust noticed I was changing tires and just volunteered the suggestion I should up the pressure to "45 PSI or a little more" - which agreed what the tables suggested.

I plan on doing a chalk test soon to confirm whether to go up or down from the nominal 47 calculated from the chart (based on RAM's 39 PSI recommendation). If I run most of the time with bed empty I may go with 47/42 or 50/45 F/R.

You won't have to calculate much if you stick with stock size tires - and even if you change size, you are starting with LT tires, not de-rated P tires.

Hope this helps.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my tires show 51 psi max but I run 34/35 but I bump up the rear ones to 39/40 when towing

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2014 calls for 60 front and 80 rear. That's what I run loaded and empty. It doesn't allow for much lower psi because it sets off the tpms.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the new winter tires and wheels on my truck today. We won't have serious snow for a while, but I had time today, and I wanted a clear, dry day so that I could do a chalk test and confirm tire pressures for my new LT 275/65R20 tire size. Tires are Nokian LT3 Hakkapelliita's.

My chalk test: Started at 47 PSI front / 43 PSI rear (tires 'cold', about 35F). Chalk indicated the 46 PSI front / 41 PSI rear was about perfect for the truck with nothing but the driver (me) for load. 47 PSI / 47 PSI was my calculation based off of the factory door placard 39 PSI / 39 PSI for P 275/60R20 tires. I'll probably run 47/42 for daily driving, but I can see running 50/45 front/rear and airing up to 50/50 for full load or towing. If you are worried about a rougher ride, my truck at 47/42 rides nicer than with the SRA's at 37/37 (temp dropped, and that's where those tire happened to end up when I took them off).

Since the snows are on a separate set of rims, I had to get a new set of TPMS sensors - the ones from Tire Rack were OEM and priced competitively. They nicely established communication after about 2 miles or so of 20 mph driving.

Thanks for all the helpful comments ! I'll post again in the Spring when I decide on a set of LT tires for 3 seasons.