Recover rope vs strap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looking for opinions on recovery ropes vs straps. Pros & Cons of each. Recommended brands. Etc. Thanks.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Have used straps, ropes, chain, wire rope and synthetic rope. For hooking on and snatching a truck out of mud or snow, get one that has spring/stretch to it. If you are using it to tow something down a road or winch with, less stretch is better. Buy a strap or rope that is rated at 5-8 times the weight of your vehicle because the running start that works so well in springing stuff loose puts a lot of strain on the strap and anchor points. My current favourite is a 40' flat strap with chain and hooks on both ends, held in the strap loops with shackles.

If you go to a place that sells to Tow Trucks and Wreckers they are WAY WAY cheaper than your local off road place, as in about 1/3. 35' 133,000 pounds $400 versus nearly 2,000 at 4Wheelparts.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There’s actually two different dimensions to your question; is it round or flat; and is it stretchy or not (for kinetic recovery).

There are use cases for all the variations.

Flat straps are better for wrapping a tree or an axle for instance. Round rope is needed for use with sheaves.

Generally, if a winch is in use, you want rope or straps that have minimal stretch. Better control of the motions and less risk of recoil if something breaks.
Kinetic recovery is the opposite where you need the stretch to both cushion the force and store energy.

I avoid the cheapest china products, don’t trust them. I also think some of the big names you are paying too much for that name. Lately I’ve been using some gear from Rhino USA which I’m satisfied with.

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't have a winch. Would be for recovery not towing. Wanting something in case I'm ever stuck for any reason.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You want kinetic ropes for recovery, and now we can also have soft schackles. What do you have for recovery points ? No winch then no aftermarket bumper with proper recovery points ?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Scenario 1, if there’s a second vehicle to recover you, a stretchy rope or strap either one. Plus the correct gear to attach to both vehicles. People have been killed getting this wrong. Not being dramatic, just a statement of fact.

Scenario 2, self recovery is my default preparation. Hi-lift jack, straps or chains with minimal stretch to grab a tree or whatever anchor is available. And yes, not without some risk as well. Hi-lifts are treacherous. But effective.

This guy explains it better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BpbKtvW7FI

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Don't have a winch. Would be for recovery not towing. Wanting something in case I'm ever stuck for any reason.
Then definitely go with the Kinetic type. I much prefer the flat ones, they don't tangle as easy, wrap and store better and are far easier to wash off if you get them muddy. 4 Ply is better than 1 ply and do not get too short a one, even though it looks like you would save money. Reach matters but what matters even more is not running into the vehicle that snatches you out when you all of a sudden pop free.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well kinetic strap vs kinetic rope is not a huge difference. Mostly just your preference. I have a bubba rope for my truck. I prefer flat straps for towing or pulling and kinetic ropes for snatching. If you are using it for self recovery you need a winch or something to pull with and something to attach to on your vehicle like a tow hook or aftermarket bumper or a separate vehicle to snatch you out

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Intended attachment points: Front would be tow hooks. Only option for rear would have to be a shackle unit in the receiver hitch. And yes, I am aware of safety concerns when pulling out a stuck vehicle. No self-recovery; would be if someone needed to pull me out; or I needed to pull someone out.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
This is what I use on my 2500. It is a 2.5" shank, fits perfect and no slipping or damage to tugem straps. I use the same kind of shackle on the front, hooked onto the winch bracket.
61ZtqevaH3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61cMxOoAmxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered a Factor55 hitch recovery point to replace my cheap HF hook recovery mount. And a few soft shackles. I do carry both a tow strap and a DitchPig kinetic rope as well.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I carry soft shackles too, they work well for tree savers, or joining tow ropes together. They are however very easy to cut under tension so if you are attaching tow ropes to a vehicle with them make very sure there are no sharp edges anywhere near them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't foget your recovery snatch ring. They'll be the equivalent of your snatch block for those using steel cable. The snatch ring will double your winch pulling power., Use with synthetic line only.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Kinetic for pulling a stuck vehicle out. Flat strap for towing one out if needed. I’m not dragging a kinetic rope across the ground. Carry both