Recovering smooth ride after lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently lifted my 07 Ram via 6" Rough Country and Bilstein 5100s maxed out. Long story short, I need some suggestions on getting some ride quality back.
Open to any and all suggestions.

Airbags? Coilovers? Bringing the 5100s down and reducing the block size in the back? Aftermarket control arms?

What have you guys done?

This is the truck.
0_185550_zpsgr3ooxr_edit_1413086863933_zps7gz4n8vh.jpg

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your Ram looks bad ass man!! I can't really help you, I did the RCX 6" no bilsteins and my ride is excellent.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you still have your other wheels and tires I would run them a little bit
Some will say that's just the way 20s with 35s will ride and you'll be throwing money at something you'll never catch

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Ram looks bad ass man!! I can't really help you, I did the RCX 6" no bilsteins and my ride is excellent.
Thanks man! What size wheels and tires you running?
If you still have your other wheels and tires I would run them a little bit
Some will say that's just the way 20s with 35s will ride and you'll be throwing money at something you'll never catch
Yea I still have em. You're right. I should try that first. Although I did feel it rough the 30 miles I drove it with my old wheels right after install. Just don't remember if it was this bad.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am of no help either but want to say your truck is sick! Also what mirrors are those? OEM or aftermarket? I've seen OEM tow mirrors with the mirror laying horizontal and from that view it didn't seem when they would be vertical that they are that far out, I like yours a lot that's why I'm wondering lol.

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am of no help either but want to say your truck is sick! Also what mirrors are those? OEM or aftermarket? I've seen OEM tow mirrors with the mirror laying horizontal and from that view it didn't seem when they would be vertical that they are that far out, I like yours a lot that's why I'm wondering lol.

Thanks man! They're aftermarket mirrors but oe style. From what Ive seen, there are different mirror setups on the aftermarket mirrors. Mine has the big mirror with the smaller mirror on one corner. Ive seen some where the whole edge is a separate mirror. But as far as i know, they stick out the same amount.
20141020_130535_zpsngsdplam.jpg
20140826_131055_zpsinkh5xwr.jpg

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Na I havnt. I thought of that as I was replying to Stang earlier. Havn't bothered to check the psi even once since I bought em. I'll take a look.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you describe what it feels like? Lol I don't have a lifted truck but it may spark some thought in others.

Nice truck tho. Where did you get the lift and how much? Is it the one with the lift spindles and strut extensions and block in the rear?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you describe what it feels like? Lol I don't have a lifted truck but it may spark some thought in others.

Nice truck tho. Where did you get the lift and how much? Is it the one with the lift spindles and strut extensions and block in the rear?

It feels like every bump in the road is absorbed twice as hard as before. Smooth as hell on smooth road, but once it gets a little rough, the truck takes a beating.

It's a Rough Country 6"lift for right around $1k. Crossmember drops, front diff drop, lift spindles, strut spacer, and block in the rear.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assume your shocks are new. That kit is what I was looking at. Self install?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Definitely tires and tire pressure with the Bilstein maxed.. you have no downtravel with your set up since you maxed out the struts height, so this increases angle of the CVs, UCAs and rest of pieces.. so when you hit a bump there's not much to give to absorb that hit, hence the rougher ride. Try lowering Bilstein to 2.1 and setting tire psi to 38 to 40 range

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely tires and tire pressure with the Bilstein maxed.. you have no downtravel with your set up since you maxed out the struts height, so this increases angle of the CVs, UCAs and rest of pieces.. so when you hit a bump there's not much to give to absorb that hit, hence the rougher ride. Try lowering Bilstein to 2.1 and setting tire psi to 38 to 40 range
Thanks for the info man. I'm gonna drop the shock height to the middle setting. Gonna check the tire pressures in a few. May switch to a 3" rear block to get my cali lean back once the front is lowered.

My only issue is I rub hard at the height I'm at, lowering it even a little would make things worse. Time to get the Dremel out.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No problem man went thru this with my IFS Commander, once you push the limits of front end parts bumps, pot holes and everything else become a nightmare... Good luck and when you lwoer PSI do a chalk test to make sure tire wear will be even

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assume your shocks are new. That kit is what I was looking at. Self install?

Yea they have only a few thousand miles. Its a good kit for the price. But Ive never had another lift, so I cant make a fair comparison. I took it to a shop to have them install. It would have been an easy install, just didnt want to deal with it.

No problem man went thru this with my IFS Commander, once you push the limits of front end parts bumps, pot holes and everything else become a nightmare... Good luck and when you lwoer PSI do a chalk test to make sure tire wear will be even

Yea that's definitely my issue. Thanks for your help man, Ill be sure to do the chalk test.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea man,nice truck to that thing is a beast!!!

Knotts89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to get off topic but do your aftermarket tow mirrors vibrate bad? I might be buying a set soon and wouldn't mind going aftermarket as long as they don't shake to bad.

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to get off topic but do your aftermarket tow mirrors vibrate bad? I might be buying a set soon and wouldn't mind going aftermarket as long as they don't shake to bad.
They definitely shake more. But it's not bad after you get used to it.