Recovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The last place I ever thought I would need to use my recovery gear would be in my back yard. Granite my back yard is a hill, that's way I bought a 4wd, so I could get to my basement. It hasn't rain for about a week and It's been cold, so I was cleaning up the front yard, I had a load of tree branchs to take to the back to burn later on, so I put my truck in 4 low and lock the rear and head to the back when I got out I saw one or my back tires had sunk in the ground, after unloading the back I hope it my truck and flip on the front locker too. Bigger then sh*t I am stuck, so recovery starts, one thing I notice is when I got in my truck and try to use the winch no-go had to unpulg it then back in seems like the connector dose not make good contact all the time, the connector just pushes in no lock of any kind. Thinking of putting some electrical grease on it? Anyway after hooking up to two different trees I got out the truck was just sliding sideways. FUN

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clean the connections on the winch and then add electrical grease. Same thing happened to me. Really needed the winch to work and i couldnt get it to operate. The connection point sucks and is a known issue.

OP
OP
Bock

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Clean the connections on the winch and then add electrical grease. Same thing happened to me. Really needed the winch to work and i couldnt get it to operate. The connection point sucks and is a known issue.
That would suck for sure, out in the middle of no where and your winch dose work, lucky I was in my back yard when I found this out. Thanks for confirming I was not doing something wrong.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would suck for sure, out in the middle of no where and your winch dose work, luckly I was in my back yard when I found this out. Thanks for confirming I was not doing some wrong.

I had about 60 feet of cable out after i free spooled it. Couldnt get it to go back in. I was so upset. It happened a day after i read on the forum that the switches tend to go bad. Lol

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you have compressed air at home or an air source in the truck, next time let the tires down. Many a “stuck” truck has been recovered by letting the tires spread out a little.

If you’re on stock tires filled to the ridiculously high door sticker pressure, even more likely just letting air out would have done the trick.

Even if you do still have to winch, it’s easier on the yard with low pressure in the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bock

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have compressed air at home or an air source in the truck, next time let the tires down. Many a “stuck” truck has been recovered by letting the tires spread out a little.

If you’re on stock tires filled to the ridiculously high door sticker pressure, even more likely just letting air out would have done the trick.

Even if you do still have to winch, it’s easier on the yard with low pressure in the tires.

Thanks will tried if it happens again, I was down to 50PSI today but the tread was filled with mud so I was running slicks going nowhere. I guessing about 30PSI would have been better.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last place I ever thought I would need to use my recovery gear would be in my back yard. Granite my back yard is a hill, that's way I bought a 4wd, so I could get to my basement. It hasn't rain for about a week and It's been cold, so I was cleaning up the front yard, I had a load of tree branchs to take to the back to burn later on, so I put my truck in 4 low and lock the rear and head to the back when I got out I saw one or my back tires had sunk in the ground, after unloading the back I hope it my truck and flip on the front locker too. Bigger then sh*t I am stuck, so recovery starts, one thing I notice is when I got in my truck and try to use the winch no-go had to unpulg it then back in seems like the connector dose not make good contact all the time, the connector just pushes in no lock of any kind. Thinking of putting some electrical grease on it? Anyway after hooking up to two different trees I got out the truck was just sliding sideways. FUN

I can sympathize, I had to get AAA to winch me out of my back yard as I started to slide off of the ledge with the one side of the truck. The lady at AAA didn't help as she's like the Ram is a beast how are you stuck in that little bit of mud?

Yard was soupy but still it was only 2" of mud :(
Granted it was 2" of soupy mud on top of shale - so very slippery - so much so the deer at night would slip on it. lol

Still embarrassing getting winched out of 2" of mud . Though to be honest, I wasn't "stuck" as much as starting to slide off of the very slight hill and over the cliff. If I didn't have to make a 90 turn at the base of the slight grade, I would have gotten out.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks will tried if it happens again, I was down to 50PSI today but the tread was filled with mud so I was running slicks going nowhere. I guessing about 30PSI would have been better.

Unless you plan on getting real frisky (if you don’t plan on mud bogging your yard), and can air back up, going down to 10-15 psi gives you the best chance to get out without rutting things up badly. That’s too low for 33s offroad, where the tires will see uneven surfaces and need to take side loads for turning at speed. But for crawling off your yard with as little damage as possible, I wouldn’t hesitate to drop them that low.

OP
OP
Bock

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unless you plan on getting real frisky (if you don’t plan on mud bogging your yard), and can air back up, going down to 10-15 psi gives you the best chance to get out without rutting things up badly. That’s too low for 33s offroad, where the tires will see uneven surfaces and need to take side loads for turning at speed. But for crawling off your yard with as little damage as possible, I wouldn’t hesitate to drop them that low.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I just need to stay out of the back in the winter, in the summer it's not as bad when the sun drys thing up.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3659D7DE-26E1-4EC6-80C3-4003356C9032.jpeg 0E5BB415-8817-4BE6-BB4A-D16055256F87.jpeg

I’ve been down to single digits in the mud at home...peeled a tire off the wheel! Only if I have bead-locks next time!

15psi is “safe” if not off camber or tearing it up!

(In an ‘88 K5)

OP
OP
Bock

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went out to clean and grease the connection on my winch and looking at my controller I saw one of the pins where push in, I tried pulling it out and it won't lock so I took it to my dealer and they order me a new one, pick it up today and it's the new D plug end, works find and the pins are locked in a lot better then the first one I had. So if you haven't use your winch yet take a good look at your controller and make sure your pins are tight.

Last edited:

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I when out to clean and grease the connection on my winch and looking at my controller I saw one of the pins where push in, I tried pulling it out and it won't lock so I took it to my dealer and they order me a new one, pick it up today and it's the new D plug end, works find and the pins are locked in a lot better then the first one I had. So if you haven't use your winch yet take a good look at your controller and make sure your pins are tight.

Actually dielectric greased my connections earlier this evening! Did it while taking pics of my Factor 55 UltraHook!

All connections were snug! Everything functioned perfectly!