Red Brake Warning Light Stays On with ABS Left Front Circuit Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamEngineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a totally baffling problem plaguing my 2003 Ram 1500 with 227, 112 miles.. The red brake warning light stays on but the ABS warning light stays off. My Zurich ZR15 scan tool reports ABS code 01 - left front circuit failure. I performed a diagnostic procedure provided by a Dodge technician. The results of that diagnostic indicate that electrically everything is fine. The red brake warning light being on obviously says its not. Hence, I resorted to the brute force method of replacing parts.

I have replaced the left front wheel hub bearing, the ABS control module (aka CAB), the lower wheel sensor connector on the harness, and even the rear differential speed sensor. I used an ohm meter to confirm the float switch in the brake fluid reservoir is open with the reservoir full of fluid. However, the problem remains. The only variation is that if the truck sits for a few days, the light will stay off after engine startup for a minute or two but then turns on.

Clearly I am missing something so I am hoping for a good discussion to see what that might be. One other thing to note is the truck is suffering from an electrical issue(s) that several months ago took out the dome light, reading lights, glove compartment light as well as the ability to turn the A/C on. I will need to check the fuses but mentioning it just in case someone else discovered strange causes and effects concerning the brake warning light.

OP
OP
R

RamEngineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The scan tool does not read any of the wheel sensors directly. The tool plugs into the OBDII port and reads the diagnostic codes reported by the ABS control module (CAB). Thanks.