Red lightning bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandonhygema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 05 1500 with 5.7 and driving down the engine looses power and a red lightning bolt comes on the dash, if I shut it off and restart it’s fine sometimes for a minute and sometimes 20 minutes. It’s throwing the codes p0456 p0457 p0344 p1628. I know the 0344 is a cam sensor but I replaced it and the truck didn’t have a problem for about a week and now it’s back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Red lighting bolts in our trucks are NOT a good thing. Worse than a check engine light. Need to get the codes sorted out and understand "how serious is this" Hopefully it won't be. Keep an eye on the forum. Others will give you good feed back.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 05 1500 with 5.7 and driving down the engine looses power and a red lightning bolt comes on the dash, if I shut it off and restart it’s fine sometimes for a minute and sometimes 20 minutes. It’s throwing the codes p0456 p0457 p0344 p1628. I know the 0344 is a cam sensor but I replaced it and the truck didn’t have a problem for about a week and now it’s back.

P056- start simple, it’s 10+ years old if you haven’t recently, replace the gas cap. I’d use OEM part, I’ve seen aftermarket parts cause problems too. Should be a cheap$20 part

P0457- check hoses

P1628- not sure here

As far as the lightning bolt, I had a throttle body issue on a Dodge Caliber, had to end up replacing it. Try cleaning the throttle body. Also check your battery. Failing batteries can cause problems with newer cars. I start watching them after 3 years, almost alway replace around 4. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I had an 03 5.7 Ram so I’m a little familiar.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P1628 comes up as a faulty temperature sensor. Your PCM is likely shutting down your engine to protect it from overheating. They're pretty cheap, even Ma Mopar ones are usually under $40. I don't know if yours uses the same sensor as mine, but Amazon has the one for my 2006 5.7L for just under $35

P1628 - Powertrain Control Module Engine Control Temperature Pullup Resistor Conditions

Read more: https://www.engine-codes.com/p1628.html

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5269870AB-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor/dp/B006DX0NIM

EDIT - When you do replace this sensor, don't torque it down more than 8 ft-lbs, they can be rather delicate and you'll only end up going through the process all over again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brandonhygema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to add but I’ve replaced a the gas cap and didn’t make a difference I’m thinking that code has to do with the purge valve but i don’t think that would make the truck loose engine power and go into limp mode, I’m going to try and get a temperature switch this afternoon and try to replace it, it’s located under the ac compressor right ? Any ideas why it’s throwing a cam sensor when I just replaced it about 2 weeks ago ?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to add but I’ve replaced a the gas cap and didn’t make a difference I’m thinking that code has to do with the purge valve but i don’t think that would make the truck loose engine power and go into limp mode, I’m going to try and get a temperature switch this afternoon and try to replace it, it’s located under the ac compressor right ?

If Ma Mopar kept the 5.7L Hemi the same in 2006, then yes, the temperature switch is located under the ac compressor.

Any ideas why it’s throwing a cam sensor when I just replaced it about 2 weeks ago ?

It may be that since your engine is shutting down unexpectedly and the cam sensor is just a symptom of that.

121556396.gif

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Could also be a faulty cam sensor, did you use mopar or parts store? If it’s parts store then bring it back n try a new one. It’s not uncommon to get faulty sensors. Jmho.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Finally figured it out, isn’t it a good feeling when you can get your **** running again at no cost :) glad you got it bud.

And THANK YOU for updating the fix, doesn’t happen that often.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to keep everyone updated the wiring harness by the transmission touched the exhaust and melted some wires, cut the bad section out and replaced and everything is fine

Nice!

jerry iranian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Red lighting bolts in our trucks are NOT a good thing. Worse than a check engine light. Need to get the codes sorted out and understand "how serious is this" Hopefully it won't be. Keep an eye on the forum. Others will give you good feed b

I have exact issue and i get code P 0642 P 2130 P 2122 P 1618 but if i go in highway and high speed no problem . any one can help please ?

jerry iranian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2

jerry iranian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This year in May I bought a 2005 Ram 1500 with 160,000 km for hunting. On October 15, I went hunting and went to the north of BC , which was almost 500 km away from my place of residence. One of these days, when it was still dark, I was on a dirt road and for the first time I suddenly noticed the high beam in front of the car. Both the headlights and the LED spotlight that I had installed were on. It started to blink for a moment. After that, I went about 10 to 15 kilometers further into the forest, when suddenly the car completely stopped. Of course, only the engine. I tried to start it again and saw that the red lightning turned on, and after turning the key off and on again, several time until I returned to the cabin where we were.
I didn't move the Dodge anymore until the day it came back, which was fine for a few kilometers when the engine was not yet warmed up, but it started shutting down again while the speed was very low, between 20 and 30 km. I found that if I move at high speed, there is no problem and I got home with this trick
The next day to myself with that and turn off the ignition key. I got the error code, the first code P 0642, the second code P 2138, the third code P 2122, the fourth code P 1618, when I called the mechanic, he told me to delete the code and start over. The first code is the old problem which was P 0642.

jerry iranian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
cAnd when I gave him the result, he said that this code P 0642 is a short circuit voltage problem and he should see an electrician. The next day to a relatively professional mechanic who not only repairs gas and diesel cars. Repairs hybrid cars. He took a round scan with a professional scanner and got the same code, and he said it was an electrical problem. In the afternoon, he told me to come, he found my technician and it was fixed, come and take it. I happily went and got it. He didn't get paid. He said, take it and drive it for a few days, see if it gets better, then pay. I drove for a few days, but the distance was not long. Everything was fine, I called happily and said that I had an appointment for the Wheel alignment and oil change, and I took it there. The technician said that the problem was one of the negative ( Ground wires )from the engine to the chassis, which was fixed .

jerry iranian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The same problem returned the same evening. And again, the same problems. I called to ask where this wire is located so that I can manipulate it myself. The mechanic said that the technician he fixed went on a trip abroad. To return in 20 days.
I didn't go anywhere much for a few days until yesterday when I had to drive 15 kilometers and I didn't reach my destination. That's when it started. First, it was turned on and the red light of Lightning was lit, and the heater was turned on and off, and the backfire started. Maybe between 500 meters with a speed of 5 to 10 km, the speed would turn off more than 50 times, and I would start it again to turn it on
The engine had no power. It's like you've run out of gas. The rpm was constantly going down and up between 1600 and 500 and it was working very badly.
Can anyone help please? i really sorry for long text bot hope someone can find the way for my problem

ke5tve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I have a 04 ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi in it I have gotten that lighting bolt as well but never while driving. Now I replaced the battery it was a 16' battery (don't know how it was starting every day but it did) I changed the throttle body and it did help now I still get that light but only when idling for a bit and I get the barometric sensor code that come with it that is a new sensor now I want to know will a MAP sensor help with this problem.