Red Line Synthetic Oil 0W-40 - has anyone tried it in the 5.7 HEMI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Currently, I'm running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 HEMI. I'm using a Purolator BOSS PBL12222 oil filter. The truck runs great and other than the injector tick noise that's characteristic to these engines I don't have any issues with it. I actually listened to the valve covers with a stethoscope to make sure that I don't have any lifters ticking, though I only have 24,500 miles on it.

I know that some of you guys are running Red Line 5W-30 with good results, however, that's about the same viscosity as the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. The only difference is that the Red Line has a better additive package with more ZDDP and Moly, and is made from PAO+Ester base stock, while the Mobil 1 is made from a little bit of PAO and a lot of GTL base stock, and is more prone to shearing.

I'd like to give Red Line 0W-40 a try and I'm wondering if anyone has run it in their 5.7 HEMI? I'm also considering the Mopar 5038041AA SRT oil filter or maybe the Purolator BOSS PBL24651. I know that some folks like to mix viscosities, but I'm not interested in doing in any of that. I know that the Red Line is a bit thicker both at cold and when hot than the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. I just want to find out if anyone ran it and if there are any issues with it. I'm just looking to get the most out of this engine, and knock on wood, keep the engine in good shape and never experience lifter failure.

Thank you!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
No sir i have not done that but IMO..

a 5.7 you dont need anything more than a 30w. Just do 5w30 unless you live in really cold climate. Then do 0w30

Heck. The 6.4 Hemi was tested with 5w30 in the pan. Im going to run Redline 5w30 this winter in my 6.4. The 0w40 switch was a push because they are in ned with shell (Pennzoil)

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6

a 5.7 you dont need anything more than a 30w. Just do 5w30 unless you live in really cold climate. Then do 0w30

Heck. The 6.4 Hemi was tested with 5w30 in the pan. Im going to run Redline 5w30 this winter in my 6.4. The 0w40 switch was a push because they are in ned with shell (Pennzoil)

Hmmmm, as you know I am running RL 5-40 in my 6.4. This winter in Central Ca,,,,,haven't thought about changing viscosity. Fitz

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score

Well Sir, thank you for your input. The Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 shears down to almost an ILSAC GF6A 5W-30 oil after you run it through the engine once. The cSt @ 100C is about 11 to 11.5 once it shears and stays there. I put it into the engine because of the additive package. I live in NC and last winter I don't think it even snowed once.

The RP 20-820 oil filter, isn't that pretty much the same size as the older MO-899, the PBL24651, and the Mopar SRT filters? Does it do a better job at oil filtration? How much oil goes into the engine when using the RP 20-820 filter? Is it closer to 7.5 quarts?

Hmmmm, as you know I am running RL 5-40 in my 6.4. This winter in Central Ca,,,,,haven't thought about changing viscosity. Fitz

Wow, you gave me hope Sir! That's an excellent choice for your engine, especially if you're towing with that beautiful truck :)

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The 0w40 switch was a push because they are in ned with shell (Pennzoil)

I've read about the 6.4 being developed with 5W-30 viscosity in mind, however, development happened over a decade ago. In the meantime, ILSAC made sure that 5W-30 is more like 5W-20. So they could have specked a Euro 5W-30 like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30, however, I'd imagine that most people would have just put whatever oil they bought on sale in those awesome 6.4 engines. So, IMHO the move to a thin 0W-40 was made more out of necessity than anything else to prevent people from running a thin 5W-30 in that motor. Of course, them being in bed with Shell, FCA made sure that only Pennzoil and a few small oil manufacturers got the MS-12633 certification. That PUP SRT 0W-40 is nothing special. It's just a thin low SAPS 0W-40 that's not very shear stable. If you want something similar but slightly better, then Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 does about the same thing, probably a little bit better. Also, I've seen people give no consideration to oil viscosity while towing heavy loads, both with the 5.7 and the 6.4 HEMI. If you're going to run your oil between 245F and 280F then you can't keep running whatever 5W-20 you bought on sale at Walmart in a 5.7 HEMI. I'm not familiar with the 6.4, but I assume it has an oil cooler. Or does it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The PUP 0w40 is very special for the hemi as clean base oil and high moly is what they were looking for. You are correct not stay in grade or made thin like you say, we call them super class 0w40's.

If you live in NC I'd go with 5w30 if it were me, alternatively 5w40 if you really wanted 40 weight. Redline is hemi honey, but 0w40 isn't their best offering for many reasons. Too heavy for 0w40, not shear stable, doesn't have that long lasting butter effect that the higher hths formulas have on the hemi. If you are not in the cold 0w40 just aint the good choice.

See how redline 5w30 kills hemi tick in my sig, view poll results, nothing short of a miracle in a bottle.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
The PUP 0w40 is very special for the hemi as clean base oil and high moly is what they were looking for. You are correct not stay in grade or made thin like you say, we call them super class 0w40's.

If you live in NC I'd go with 5w30 if it were me, alternatively 5w40 if you really wanted 40 weight. Redline is hemi honey, but 0w40 isn't their best offering for many reasons. Too heavy for 0w40, not shear stable, doesn't have that long lasting butter effect that the higher hths formulas have on the hemi. If you are not in the cold 0w40 just aint the good choice.

See how redline 5w30 kills hemi tick in my sig, view poll results, nothing short of a miracle in a bottle.
Burla what would you run this winter in Central Ca. As you know the 5-40 RL was the exact answer to getting my 6.4 quite on start up and at hot temp. Fitz

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wouldn't change a thing unless you get cold piston slap. Keep me posted on that too.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've read about the 6.4 being developed with 5W-30 viscosity in mind, however, development happened over a decade ago. In the meantime, ILSAC made sure that 5W-30 is more like 5W-20. So they could have specked a Euro 5W-30 like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30, however, I'd imagine that most people would have just put whatever oil they bought on sale in those awesome 6.4 engines. So, IMHO the move to a thin 0W-40 was made more out of necessity than anything else to prevent people from running a thin 5W-30 in that motor. Of course, them being in bed with Shell, FCA made sure that only Pennzoil and a few small oil manufacturers got the MS-12633 certification. That PUP SRT 0W-40 is nothing special. It's just a thin low SAPS 0W-40 that's not very shear stable. If you want something similar but slightly better, then Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 does about the same thing, probably a little bit better. Also, I've seen people give no consideration to oil viscosity while towing heavy loads, both with the 5.7 and the 6.4 HEMI. If you're going to run your oil between 245F and 280F then you can't keep running whatever 5W-20 you bought on sale at Walmart in a 5.7 HEMI. I'm not familiar with the 6.4, but I assume it has an oil cooler. Or does it?

Redline 5w30 is not like 5w20

It is closer to a 40w

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Redline 5w30 is not like 5w20

It is closer to a 40w

I apologize, I was talking about the ILSAC 5W-30 oils that shear down to a 5W-20, like PUP 5W-30. I guess that's one way to force slightly better fuel economy at the expense of reliability.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score

Yes, I think I'll go with the 5W-30. I'm not towing anything and just babying the RAM 1500. The RL 0W-40 seemed to be just a hair thicker than the 5W-30 while having better flow properties. It looks like the 5W-30 and 5W-40 have a NOACK of 6% while the 0W-40 has a NOACK of 9%, which is more in line with the Castrol EDGE 0W-40. If the EDGE had at least 200ppm Moly, it would be the ideal "Poor Man's Redline". The M1 has around 80ppm which is nothing compared to RL, but NOACK is around 10 and it's not shear stable. I guess no GTL oil is very shear stable. How does the PUP 0W-40 perform in the 5.7 HEMI? Do you have any filter recommendations if I want to go a bit bigger than stock? Thank you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, I think I'll go with the 5W-30. I'm not towing anything and just babying the RAM 1500. The RL 0W-40 seemed to be just a hair thicker than the 5W-30 while having better flow properties. It looks like the 5W-30 and 5W-40 have a NOACK of 6% while the 0W-40 has a NOACK of 9%, which is more in line with the Castrol EDGE 0W-40. If the EDGE had at least 200ppm Moly, it would be the ideal "Poor Man's Redline". The M1 has around 80ppm which is nothing compared to RL, but NOACK is around 10 and it's not shear stable. I guess no GTL oil is very shear stable. How does the PUP 0W-40 perform in the 5.7 HEMI? Do you have any filter recommendations if I want to go a bit bigger than stock? Thank you.

Castrol Edge for sure has promise, not talked about enough. Bottom line with hemi, whatever keeps hemi tick away is the right choice. Oil filter thread, I'm not sure there is something bigger and better the rp 20-820, we have guys running a double filter set up, not bypass just double.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Castrol Edge for sure has promise, not talked about enough. Bottom line with hemi, whatever keeps hemi tick away is the right choice. Oil filter thread, I'm not sure there is something bigger and better the rp 20-820, we have guys running a double filter set up, not bypass just double.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 had zero Moly. How important is Moly for the HEMI? I assume it had other friction modifiers that don't show up on a UOA/VOA.

How do you install a double filter setup on a Ram 1500?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@69GWC can come answer that, he just did a two filter set up. It is a neutral oil psi upgrade as well.

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, there are two main types of friction modifiers aw and ep, and the hemi responds to extreme pressure modifiers. Look at engine and performance section, ram forum has been doing tests by the 100's. Two products that have promise are both hgh moly additives/oils, reldine and lubegard biotech. The % of people that get tick relief just with either of these products (not both together) is simply something nobody could have predicted. redline poll / lubegard poll

From what fca has done with oil formulations and the forum work, I'd say moly is necessary for a hemi.

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize, I was talking about the ILSAC 5W-30 oils that shear down to a 5W-20, like PUP 5W-30. I guess that's one way to force slightly better fuel economy at the expense of reliability.

I would agree with your w30 decision. I've ran PUP 0w40 since fall 2018-ish. If I were to switch to RL again, I would run 30. I find the PUP 40 stays a little more 'stable' longer under heavy loads and long idle. As you mentioned, it shears down to a 30 pretty quick, so I'm not that worried about the extra weight. I like the extra moly most of all. It works for me, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were 'working' that 1/2 ton.

How important is Moly for the HEMI?
Extremely, you can always add "liquid moly." 200ppm isnt much ... Redline 0w40 is in the 650 area.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm a huge proponent of running a thicker oil in the hemi but only if there's a reason to do so. Without a warm idle tick or startup tapping I'm not sure why you want to run redline at all especially in anything other than 5w30. Extended OCI is one good reason but short OCI with anything Pennzoil will definitely keep the engine clean and happy.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
@69GWC can come answer that, he just did a two filter set up. It is a neutral oil psi upgrade as well.

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, there are two main types of friction modifiers aw and ep, and the hemi responds to extreme pressure modifiers. Look at engine and performance section, ram forum has been doing tests by the 100's. Two products that have promise are both hgh moly additives/oils, reldine and lubegard biotech. The % of people that get tick relief just with either of these products (not both together) is simply something nobody could have predicted. redline poll / lubegard poll

From what fca has done with oil formulations and the forum work, I'd say moly is necessary for a hemi.

Wow, thanks for the info. It seems like Lubegard is basically 0W-16 with a very nice additive package. I was considering doing 32oz (1qt) of Lubegard HeavyDuty + 6qt of RL 5W-40. The resulting cSt@40C would be 83.3 and at 100C it would be 13.86. I will do the math a bit later when I have a minute to see how it changes the additive package, and I will post the numbers here. Do you happen to have VOAs for RL 0W-40 and 5W-40, also one for 5W-30 would helpful. Also, since Castrol EDGE 0W-40 doesn't have any Moly, just a measly 40ppm of Titanium, I will do the math for that one as well. I don't care much for M1 + Lubegard since M1 shears just as bad as PUP 0W-40.

I ordered two SRT filter for my Ram 1500 from Amazon, found them for $12.86 each sold & shipped by Amazon. Is the SRT filter pretty good, better than Purolator BOSS? Does it provide adequate filtration? Do you know if it's made from spun micro-glass? Or should I go with something else like FRAM XG2 / FS2 (this one is their Titanium version sold at Advance)?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get the best oil combo and filtration for my HEMI and stick with them for years.

Thank you.