RedLine Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 days not started, no tick on start up, let run for 5min and shut down. Came back out an hour later to leave and i got a quick tick really short on start up! Guess ill monitor it some more. I will definitely try that toyota oil, just not yet. Ill put some miles on this qsud.

FWIW that is a known recipe for a startup tick. In most cases its a very loud disheartening knocking sound for 2-3 seconds, then it goes away by itself. If you start it and drive a very short distance (or not at all), then shut it down, the next startup will exhibit the bad noise.

In my case, I could re-create it at will. What seems to have (so far...knock on wood) quieted it is using the SRT oil filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2 days not started, no tick on start up, let run for 5min and shut down. Came back out an hour later to leave and i got a quick tick really short on start up! Guess ill monitor it some more. I will definitely try that toyota oil, just not yet. Ill put some miles on this qsud.
drop a 6 dollar bottle of lubegard in there, pretty much turns that into toyota oem as far as moly goes. read the reviews, especially the first one, a cold start review. what do you have to loose versus what can you gain?

i cut and paste a little of it...

The biggest benefit I've seen is during cold starts...the engine doesn't rev as high, drops to std idle speed much sooner, the engine is far quieter, and there is no valve noise. Seeing that around 90% of engine wear occurs within 60 seconds of startup over the lifetime of an engine (i.e. before the oil has had a chance to be pumped around the engine), this product offers an enormous, tangible benefit.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
drop a 6 dollar bottle of lubegard in there, pretty much turns that into toyota oem as far as moly goes. read the reviews, especially the first one, a cold start review. what do you have to loose versus what can you gain?

i cut and paste a little of it...

The biggest benefit I've seen is during cold starts...the engine doesn't rev as high, drops to std idle speed much sooner, the engine is far quieter, and there is no valve noise. Seeing that around 90% of engine wear occurs within 60 seconds of startup over the lifetime of an engine (i.e. before the oil has had a chance to be pumped around the engine), this product offers an enormous, tangible benefit.

I just ordered it up, was kinda thinking about adding something like you guys have been talking about recently.
10oz bottle is enough? I know it says 3oz per qt or liter.

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok...I might be blind, I might not comprehend what I read, I might be completely wrong. If I am please correct me. According to lubegards website, lubegard biotech and biotech heavy duty oil additives are not made with molybdenum....at all...none...nada...zip...zero. Made with something called "liquid ester wax". Look it up and tell me I'm crazy...please.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Ok...I might be blind, I might not comprehend what I read, I might be completely wrong. If I am please correct me. According to lubegards website, lubegard biotech and biotech heavy duty oil additives are not made with molybdenum....at all...none...nada...zip...zero. Made with something called "liquid ester wax". Look it up and tell me I'm crazy...please.

Hmmmm.......that's the way I read also

LUBEGARD® ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT contains Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology, the lubrication system of the future.

LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

https://www.lubegard.com/products/biotech/

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
voa lubegard... It has been known to raise ppm moly about 150ppm when added to oil change, I believe that is 15 ounces. They are talking about solid lubricant m0s2, which this doesn't have.

Many thanks to Blackstone Labs for running this VOA at no charge.

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F / 47.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100C / 6.64
Flashpoint in F / 430
Fuel% / -
Antifreeze% / -
Water% / 0.0
Insolubles% / TR
TBN / 3.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just ordered it up, was kinda thinking about adding something like you guys have been talking about recently.
10oz bottle is enough? I know it says 3oz per qt or liter.

The 10 ounce size is 6 bucks amazon, the 15 ounce is 13 bucks, so how many bottles you will try, just get 10 ounce size? I'd start with one, maybe add two. I don't think I'd go much further then that.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 10 ounce size is 6 bucks amazon, the 15 ounce is 13 bucks, so how many bottles you will try, just get 10 ounce size? I'd start with one, maybe add two. I don't think I'd go much further then that.

I ordered the one 10oz. Once you change oil this comes out also correct? Not like its in there forever?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No more than anything in your engine oil. Does your engine oil leave some zinc and moly behind in between changes? I'd say some. That's why I posted voa, it just regular engine oil additives, just in larger portions.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ill definitely play around with options, 1st being the 0w20 qsud and lubegaurd.
Ill see if i can recreate the cold start tick by starting/stopping and starting again. Before and after lubegaurd.
So far with just the 0w20 i havnt had a knock or tick after sitting 24 to 48 hrs from 1st start, only after it was started/stopped and started again. But its still too early to say.

Last edited:

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
voa lubegard... It has been known to raise ppm moly about 150ppm when added to oil change, I believe that is 15 ounces. They are talking about solid lubricant m0s2, which this doesn't have.

Many thanks to Blackstone Labs for running this VOA at no charge.

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F / 47.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100C / 6.64
Flashpoint in F / 430
Fuel% / -
Antifreeze% / -
Water% / 0.0
Insolubles% / TR
TBN / 3.7
Ok.... molybdenum is NOT molybdenum disulfide?? Is that correct? Legit question, I'm not being obnoxious and just the short answer. I'm a dinosaur, maintained, tore apart all my vehicles. The only oil additives I've ever used regularly is marvel mystery oil...never an issue. A good quality oil and filter at 3 to 5000 miles and no problems. What I'm getting at here is when you spend 45 to 70,000 dollars on a vehicle we shouldn't be talking about how to keep the engine from self destructing with oil additives!! Example...my grandfather's 1950 mercury coup wit a 256 flathead in it is still running with 275000 miles on the original motor with really nothing more then regular oil changes and basic maintenance.
My 2014 1500 ,thank god , isn't experiencing any of these issues...yet I guess. I only have 49,500 on it bone stock, oil changes every 4500 miles. First half of its life was Castrol 5-20 ,M1 filter ,second half Rotella gas truck 5-20 w/ RP filters. No additives until liqui moly moS2. All been quiet.
Sorry for rant.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
80-120k miles is where the bell curve peaks in failures from the plethora of online reports.

The earlier seizures all have one commonality, frequent warm idle.

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
80-120k miles is where the bell curve peaks in failures from the plethora of online reports.

The earlier seizures all have one commonality, frequent warm idle.
Talk about getting your money's worth...lol. Well I don't idle the the truck for longer then 5 minutes after start up . Even in winter. Doesn't get that cold on long island anyway.
So maybe it'll be in one piece for at least a couple years after its paid off....lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok.... molybdenum is NOT molybdenum disulfide?? Is that correct? Legit question, I'm not being obnoxious and just the short answer. I'm a dinosaur, maintained, tore apart all my vehicles. The only oil additives I've ever used regularly is marvel mystery oil...never an issue. A good quality oil and filter at 3 to 5000 miles and no problems. What I'm getting at here is when you spend 45 to 70,000 dollars on a vehicle we shouldn't be talking about how to keep the engine from self destructing with oil additives!! Example...my grandfather's 1950 mercury coup wit a 256 flathead in it is still running with 275000 miles on the original motor with really nothing more then regular oil changes and basic maintenance.
My 2014 1500 ,thank god , isn't experiencing any of these issues...yet I guess. I only have 49,500 on it bone stock, oil changes every 4500 miles. First half of its life was Castrol 5-20 ,M1 filter ,second half Rotella gas truck 5-20 w/ RP filters. No additives until liqui moly moS2. All been quiet.
Sorry for rant.

Go back and read it, spells it out. m0s2 is a solid lubricant, it doesn't say there is no moly, it says there is no solid moly and even says solid. There are many types of moly, the ones in pcmo's are oil soluble moly, IE not solid. Just like zinc, most people think of zinc as solid, but you don't see solid in oil right?

I'm not saying don't use m0s2, I'm saying using solids in oils are more risky then not, thus is why every single oil manufacturer doesn't use them. hope that cleared it up

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go back and read it, spells it out. m0s2 is a solid lubricant, it doesn't say there is no moly, it says there is no solid moly and even says solid. There are many types of moly, the ones in pcmo's are oil soluble moly, IE not solid. Just like zinc, most people think of zinc as solid, but you don't see solid in oil right?

I'm not saying don't use m0s2, I'm saying using solids in oils are more risky then not, thus is why every single oil manufacturer doesn't use them. hope that cleared it up
[emoji106][emoji106]

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year