Redline Trans & Diff Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When i get a chance im going to check mine level with the ground. When i changed mine i leveled the trans and did it that way. then drove it up to 180F and then checked it again (with trans level). Im curious how it will read with just having truck level. We all know if a dealer does the service, or any shop for that matter, its up on a lift with your truck level. However the trans itself is not level. I had to lift mine around 10" and that was with it facing downhill a bit. I have not noticed any difference after changing fluid. I plan to change it again soon as a pan drop and refill only used a gallon. Went with Redline D6 in mine.

Theres been a couple guys who did the old measure and replace with the same amount,and have had to jack the truck up to get the measured amount back in.But there's also a few trucks running around who haven't jacked the rear up,and they seem to be working okay .The factory fill instructions are very specific about leveling the transmissions pan rail,but the majority of dealers aren't spending the time to level the pan rail,so the transmission might have enough pan capacity to operate at a lower level and still live.I followed the instructions that came with my brand new ZF which tell you to level the pan rail,but it might not be as important as the instructions make it out to be,but to maintain the 3 year warrenty the tranny came with,i followed them to a T,lol

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I don’t remember checking fluid level at that high of a temperature. I need to look it up again, only recall checking between 80F-120F.

no you are correct. the 180 is to get the cooler valve to open. the thought is, that if the lines are empty and you fill the trans, then the truck gets up to temp to open the valve and fluid goes into the lines, it would reduce the level in the trans. making it low. mine was still full after getting up to temp.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Theres been a couple guys who did the old measure and replace with the same amount,and have had to jack the truck up to get the measured amount back in.But there's also a few trucks running around who haven't jacked the rear up,and they seem to be working okay .The factory fill instructions are very specific about leveling the transmissions pan rail,but the majority of dealers aren't spending the time to level the pan rail,so the transmission might have enough pan capacity to operate at a lower level and still live.I followed the instructions that came with my brand new ZF which tell you to level the pan rail,but it might not be as important as the instructions make it out to be,but to maintain the 3 year warrenty the tranny came with,i followed them to a T,lol
I

I believe the grand if covered by the longer Robertson warranty, which in your case is 5 years 100000 miles.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
no you are correct. the 180 is to get the cooler valve to open. the thought is, that if the lines are empty and you fill the trans, then the truck gets up to temp to open the valve and fluid goes into the lines, it would reduce the level in the trans. making it low. mine was still full after getting up to temp.
I see, in my case I hope the lines weren’t empty because I didn’t run it up to temp. Definitely adding this to my notes, for my next drain and fill.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I see, in my case I hope the lines weren’t empty because I didn’t run it up to temp. Definitely adding this to my notes, for my next drain and fill.

if you notice any change in the shifting or even get a feeling something is off with your trans, first thing i would do is check fluid level.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In order to get all my fluid back in, the truck had to be running and cycle thru park and drive a few times.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you notice any change in the shifting or even get a feeling something is off with your trans, first thing i would do is check fluid level.
I remember having the bump when you come to a stop like its been described on the forum somewhere, but I think that was due to my shift relearn.(I disconnected the battery for a few hours for the relearn) The bump disappeared after some time and I don’t notice it anymore.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I remember having the bump when you come to a stop like its been described on the forum somewhere, but I think that was due to my shift relearn.(I disconnected the battery for a few hours for the relearn) The bump disappeared after some time and I don’t notice it anymore.

nice. i had it in my last ram (2016 392 rear). I could make it do it every time if i wanted, or make it so it didnt do it. My current truck, a 14 with 321 rear does not do it. My trans does have a low rpm slip in 2nd and third. Next chance i get im going to unhook battery for 24 hours and reset all shift programing. will see how, if at all, its different going forward.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nice. i had it in my last ram (2016 392 rear). I could make it do it every time if i wanted, or make it so it didnt do it. My current truck, a 14 with 321 rear does not do it. My trans does have a low rpm slip in 2nd and third. Next chance i get im going to unhook battery for 24 hours and reset all shift programing. will see how, if at all, its different going forward.
Please let us know how that goes, I've got the same low rpm slip in 2nd and 3rd you're talking about although I have the 8HP70
with the 3:92 rear....

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I went ahead and did another drain and fill. It's been 5k miles since the last one (at 30k miles with D6 fluid). I followed the advice to lift the rear end to level the transmission. I was able to get an extra 1/2 -3/4qt, by raising the rear end about 3 ft!. I've driven the truck for a week, and I didn't do a relearn this time. There have not been any ill effects, it actually seems to shift smoother.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is in the tranny? 8 speed?

Green and Red makes.... no not purple..brown. In this situation I would not gauge the color, but the smell, and if need be a uoa.

And you are making it so you can put more fluid in?

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes samples from 8 speed. The fluid doesn't smell burnt but it's too dark for my liking. I really want to change the pan next along with the filter. I'm looking at a PPE aluminum pan with extra capacity and replaceable filter. Screenshot_20190907-172227_Chrome.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes samples from 8 speed. The fluid doesn't smell burnt but it's too dark for my liking. I really want to change the pan next along with the filter. I'm looking at a PPE aluminum pan with extra capacity and replaceable filter. View attachment 179895

Do you have headers or an aftermarket Y pipe on your truck? If not you'll need to do some modifying to the stock Y pipe for the pan to clear . I have the PPE on my 8 speed,and it hangs down lower then the stock pan by enough I don't think the stock exhaust will clear. Tip for you,wrap your Y pipe with header wrap where it crosses under the pan,it's cheap,and helps keep the pan from absorbing exhaust heat.FYI,the pan might shock you at how heavy it is,i was a bit surprised when I picked mine up,lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes samples from 8 speed. The fluid doesn't smell burnt but it's too dark for my liking. I really want to change the pan next along with the filter. I'm looking at a PPE aluminum pan with extra capacity and replaceable filter. View attachment 179895

You had likely 40% green and 60% red due to fluid in trq conv, you could concievably do the same thing again and end up with 40% of that 40% green still in the transmision, it is very possible it will be brown after the next flush.

So how many miles on truck, 35 or 65k miles?

Last edited:

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have headers or an aftermarket Y pipe on your truck? If not you'll need to do some modifying to the stock Y pipe for the pan to clear . I have the PPE on my 8 speed,and it hangs down lower then the stock pan by enough I don't think the stock exhaust will clear. Tip for you,wrap your Y pipe with header wrap where it crosses under the pan,it's cheap,and helps keep the pan from absorbing exhaust heat.FYI,the pan might shock you at how heavy it is,i was a bit surprised when I picked mine up,lol
Thanks for the advice, I'm doing some research on fitment. I had read a review that the stock y-pipe had to be removed then reinstalled. I was hoping it would clear with stock setup, but I may have a muffler shop readjust that pipe lower. I do plan on getting long tubes,but that's way down the road. (Unless I have broken exhaust manifold bolts)

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You had likely 40% green and 60% red due to fluid in trq conv, you could concievably do the same thing again and end up with 40% of that 40% green still in the transmision, it is very possible it will be brown after the next flush.

So how many miles on truck, 35 or 65k miles?
Truck has 35k miles total. 2 Drain and fills performed so far, at 30k mi then another at 35k mi.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the advice, I'm doing some research on fitment. I had read a review that the stock y-pipe had to be removed then reinstalled. I was hoping it would clear with stock setup, but I may have a muffler shop readjust that pipe lower. I do plan on getting long tubes,but that's way down the road. (Unless I have broken exhaust manifold bolts)

If you end up having to have the Y modified,you might as well get them to redo the crushed part where the 2 pipes merge into 1 pipe

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not a bad idea on removing the crushed y-pipe. You think a shop can make one from scratch or should I order one?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963